PDA

View Full Version : Another Sub Lagoon rumor to debunk

LSPoorEeyorick
05-13-2003, 11:37 AM
...and please, please debunk it for me, because I was bummed to hear it...

A few CM friends were buzzing about Tomorrowland last night, and told me that they'd heard that the subs were, once again, yanked from the plans. Word was that Imagineering discovered that draining the lagoon would disturb the balance of the land, and the foundation of the Matterhorn would not be stable. To me, this sounds ridiculous, especially since I'd read nothing on any of the DL sites where I lurk. Has anyone else heard anything to this effect?

refurbmike
05-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Actually, the same excuse was used for its keeping. Some people said that water leaking from the lagoon was creating sinkholes under the Matterhorn. If these sinkholes were to dry up, the Matterhorn would be unstable.

Basically, if the plans are scrapped or kept, that ain't the reason.

DisneyFan25863
05-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I heard somewhere that the lagoon loses about 30,000 gallons of water a day due to leakage. :eek:

Not Afraid
05-13-2003, 02:13 PM
OK people!

This is one of the BIGGEST and unfounded of the DL rumors. It is NOT true.

And, no, noone was decapitated either.

innerSpaceman
05-13-2003, 03:15 PM
HAHAHAHAHA - I love how this one gets them, year after year after year. The most reliable bogus Disneyland rumour ever!

DisneyFan25863
05-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
HAHAHAHAHA - I love how this one gets them, year after year after year. The most reliable bogus Disneyland rumour ever!

I could have sworn I read it in MouseTales (glances over at David Koeing with a scournful look)

:fez:

dgdisney
05-13-2003, 07:46 PM
I was reading a few trip reports (in anticipation of going to DLR tomorrow - woo hoo) and someone on another website shared her experiences on the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. As part of the tour the group went through Tomorrowland and the guide said that Jay R. told them that Tomorrowland was in shambles and that the subs and the peoplemovers would be reinstalled prior to the 50th - along with a new "ride".

I am not sure if I can take the tour (my husband would need to entertain my girls for some time...hmmm..maybe he would:rolleyes: .

Has anyone taken the tour recently and heard similar tales???

Laffite
05-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Dear Friends,

Actually, most people didn't know that the sub was closed down because someone was decapitated on the ride and the head fell into the water. After many attempts, they couldn't retrive the head from the water and it's been remor that the head is still somewhere in the pool. Believe it or not, the Imagineers have calculated that the small mass of the head in the water is actually keeping the Matterhorn mountain up. If it were to be removed, the mass of the pool will change only slightly, but the Matterhorn will fall like a house of cards.

Of course, Disney cannot open the ride with a decapitated head floating in the ride. The only possible way to remove the head and reopen the sub is to close down the Matterhorn. However, the Matternhorn is also structurally connected to the other mountains as well. Which means, if the Matterhorn falls, then Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain will fall too.

But it's not that simple. You see, the day of the decapitation took place on the day of solaris alignment. This means that, if the pool were to be distrubed, then on the next solaris alignment the dolls of Small World will be released and kill all guests. Needless to say, this massive killing of park guests by small killer dolls will be a bad PR for Disney.

Thus, you can see that the price of restoring the sub is just too much in the eyes of the Imagineers.

Warm Regards,
Preston.

Rallymonkey23
05-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Dear Friends,

Actually, most people didn't know that the sub was closed down because someone was decapitated on the ride and the head fell into the water. After many attempts, they couldn't retrive the head from the water and it's been remor that the head is still somewhere in the pool. Believe it or not, the Imagineers have calculated that the small mass of the head in the water is actually keeping the Matterhorn mountain up. If it were to be removed, the mass of the pool will change only slightly, but the Matterhorn will fall like a house of cards.

Of course, Disney cannot open the ride with a decapitated head floating in the ride. The only possible way to remove the head and reopen the sub is to close down the Matterhorn. However, the Matternhorn is also structurally connected to the other mountains as well. Which means, if the Matterhorn falls, then Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain will fall too.

But it's not that simple. You see, the day of the decapitation took place on the day of solaris alignment. This means that, if the pool were to be distrubed, then on the next solaris alignment the dolls of Small World will be released and kill all guests. Needless to say, this massive killing of park guests by small killer dolls will be a bad PR for Disney.

Thus, you can see that the price of restoring the sub is just too much in the eyes of the Imagineers.

Warm Regards,
Preston.

ROTFLMBO! :D :fez:

Now that explains why they left the bubbles on. To keep the balance the same in the water! :D :fez: ;)

DisneyFan25863
05-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Dear Friends,

Warm Regards,
Preston.

That explains a lot....
:~D :fez:

Not Afraid
05-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Dear Friends,...................................

Warm Regards,
Preston.

That was beautiful!:crying:

Lashbear
05-13-2003, 09:52 PM
... and the glowing light recently photographed coming from the tunnels is the glowing spectre of the decapitee who refuses to move into the Haunted Mansion, and who prefers to hang around the subs... :o)

swtkissez
05-13-2003, 09:58 PM
"Some imagination, huh?..hehe" :rolleyes: :) :p

Lashbear
05-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by swtkissez
That's scary... I used to have that line in my Signature ! :D

swtkissez
05-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
That's scary... I used to have that line in my Signature ! :D

hehehehe

:p :p :p :p :D :D :D

Laffite
05-14-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by swtkissez

Dear Friends,

I don't believe we've met?

Warm Regards,
Preston.

swtkissez
05-14-2003, 08:25 AM
yep ur right...

hi!

:cool:

hefferdude
05-14-2003, 09:02 AM

LMBO---ROTFL!!!! :D

You don't suppose there's an IASW / AWOL midget sub driver named Chuckie lurking around the Autopia backcountry do you? ;)

DisneyFan25863
05-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by hefferdude
You don't suppose there's an IASW / AWOL midget sub driver named Chuckie lurking around the Autopia backcountry do you? ;)

It depends on whenether Venus was in the 12th house or not when the decapitation occured.

whiles
05-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Hey Folks,

Good thread at least up until the decaptitation. Now if we were talking about the Matterhorn then I would believe it.

I think as far as the Sub Lagoon goes it is a matter of Money, Does Disney really have the cash to refurbish this area right now?

Maybe not. I doubt very seriously that the structural integrity of the matterhorn is in question here the ride has just been refurbished and we are really talking about a steel superstructure and concrete pilings underneath it. In such a high seismic danger area such is California, I have seriously doubt a pool of water is holding up the Matterhorn.

Finally, The most important fact is "Should something be done with the sub lagoon?" YES !! it is a lame unutilized area of the Park. I mean at least put the remote control boats about there or the splash plungers to drench the Monrail riders as the come and go!!!

As with anything Disney does, patience is a virtue and when they commit to re-use we most likely will love what they decide to do.

The caveat being not re-introducing the submarines, unless you plan to sink them that is.

Cheers,
whiles:~D

GeminiAngel
05-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Dear Friends,

But it's not that simple. You see, the day of the decapitation took place on the day of solaris alignment. This means that, if the pool were to be distrubed, then on the next solaris alignment the dolls of Small World will be released and kill all guests. Needless to say, this massive killing of park guests by small killer dolls will be a bad PR for disney.

And everybody thought it was a budgeting thing!!! :fez: