PDA

View Full Version : Would this be blasphemous?

Aunt Tithesis
05-13-2003, 08:12 AM
A slight modification to the "movie house" on Main Street:

As you know, this theater shows different B&W Mickey Mouse cartoons on three video screens without sound.

What would you think if they put in seating, one big screen, and used actual film prints, of Disney movies and cartoons, sort of like a day at the movies in the "good old days." A different feature each day preceeded by a classic cartoon and/or short subject.

Just Plain Nice
05-13-2003, 08:16 AM
I really like that idea.

Maybe the theater wouldn't be empty all the time if they did that.

MouseWife
05-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Well, someone help me here.

I remember {oh, about 23 years ago......} sitting down in Fantasyland in a theater watching cartoons. With seating and sound.

Can anyone tell me {as I know 23 years is a long time} about it?

I know we really enjoyed it on a hot summer day to be able to relax and be indoors and not wait in a line........

Disneyphile
05-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Ah... the ol' Fantasyland Theater. I miss those relaxing moments of kicking back and watching cartoons with my parents.

It was removed when the new Fantasyland opened in the 80's. :(

That would be an awesome idea to incorporate into the Main Street Cinema though. I'd go in there and kick back for a little while! :)

Morrigoon
05-13-2003, 11:50 AM
I've thought for a long time that they ought to do something like this.

Disneyphile
05-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Ooooh! Just occurred to me what they could at least do with the Cinema for the 50th -

Have viewings of the old 1950's "Disneyland" TV show!

It would be SO cool to go in there and see the "excitement" of opening day, and then step right out on Main Street! Kinda like a portal through time! :D

Some of Walt's early "vaulted" stuff would be cool too - like the Alice Comedies and Laugh-o-grams. It would really add to the nostalgia of Main Street.:)

Tref
05-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
Well, someone help me here.

I remember {oh, about 23 years ago......} sitting down in Fantasyland in a theater watching cartoons. With seating and sound.

Can anyone tell me {as I know 23 years is a long time} about it?

I know we really enjoyed it on a hot summer day to be able to relax and be indoors and not wait in a line........

Yes, I remember that theater, too. I loved going in there for a short break. I think your on to a good idea, Auntie. Certainly, a few seats could do no harm in the Main Street Theater, though who knows if they room enough to expand to the size of the theater they had in Fantasyland.

Innerspace may know a little bit about the destruction of the theater due to his association with Bill Taylor (?) I re-call a BT interview from a years ago in which he talked about the destruction of the theater and how afterwards, all the workers stayed after their shift and stood around the ruins, saddened that they had to take part in the destruction of a Walt original. Which is quite touching if you think about it.
Unfortunately, I do my MP posting at work, so I don't have the ability to reference this story. But again, there may be others who know more about this from just off the top of their head.
I.r.

merlinjones
05-13-2003, 02:27 PM
>>Ooooh! Just occurred to me what they could at least do with the Cinema for the 50th - Have viewings of the old 1950's "Disneyland" TV show! It would be SO cool to go in there and see the "excitement" of opening day, and then step right out on Main Street! Kinda like a portal through time!<<

A few years ago, Tony Baxter was trying to get DL to convert the Main Street Theatre into a seated digital screening room/theatre for MouseWorks cartoons.

The accountants dragged their feet forever.

I REALLY like your idea of doing the theatre conversion and using it to show Disneyland TV hours! I would start with the theatrical featurette "Disneyland USA" - - or even better, screen all day an assortment of all the cool DL shows from the 50's and 60's, everything from opening day 1955 to Disneyland Showtime (1969). Or a "best of" running compilation could feature long bits from all of these shows. A posted schedule would bring you back for your favorite show!

Aurora
05-13-2003, 02:46 PM
I know Im going to get yelled at for this but I personally like the cartoon theater the way it is. I love to just sit in the middle and watch all the cartoons. I love the music. I love the lighting, well the very little bit of it. I love it just the way it is. I hope they dont change it. :crying:

innerSpaceman
05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
I have always thought they should convert that wasted space into a true movie theater featuring Disney classics and cartoons. I even went so far, at one time, as to devise a one-year schedule of the films to be presented there, with an eye toward which movies would be appropriate to which time of year, and the most befitting selection of cartoons that would play before each film.

What with every kid in America now owning every Disney film on home video, the need for a place inside Disneyland to exhibit the classics has somewhat subsided. But I always thought that this would be a nifty idea for Disneyland.

mousketeer
05-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Call me crazy - I really like it the way it is. It is a great way to see some classic cartoons that have been axed from Disney Channel's Ink and Paint Club to make room for ridiculous pre-teen dramas at 2:00AM.

merlinjones
05-13-2003, 10:27 PM
>>Call me crazy - I really like it the way it is. It is a great way to see some classic cartoons that have been axed from Disney Channel's Ink and Paint Club to make room for ridiculous pre-teen dramas at 2:00AM.<<

They can rename it The Tin Lizzie Theatre and feature only Lizzie MacGuire Does Disneyland featurettes. (oops, better not give 'em any ideas!).

Morrigoon
05-14-2003, 01:11 AM
Leave the Main St. Theater as it is, perhaps, and at night pull down a giant screen in the Fantasyland Theater and show something, do a different film each week! Then they are getting extra use from the venue, it doesn't take that many CMs to run, and they can generate sales from the "Troubadour Treats/Meeko's/whatever-they're-calling-it-this-week" while allowing guests to see classic Disney films on a full size screen!

daveinMN
05-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Long live YUMZ!

Tref
05-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Truthfully, I don't know how anybody could tolerate the Main Street theater as it is now. While it is nice to get out of the sun, couldn't they provide for a few chairs? Would that be too much to ask? If there is room enough to expand, then there should be nothing holding them back from creating (or re-creating) the magic of the old Fantasyland theater. The reason it won't is simple -- its not broken, so why upgrade? On the other hand (and Merlin, you seem full of fanciful ideas) if somebody here could devise a way to include a fast powered CA Screamin' style loop into the theater, so as to then push the theater into the E ticket arena, then maybe they'll listen. But no loop, no upgrade. Ladies and Gentleman, the answer is clear, if this theater is to be improved and if this thread is to live on in the minds and hearts of generations of cinema-goers, and thrill seekers the world over -- we must increase the velocity of said cinema, add a loop and maybe a giant Splash Mtn-like finish where everybody leaves the theater wet.
I remember at the old Fantasyland theater they often would post a Harlem Globetrotter at the entrance with a bucket of confetti to simulate a wild finish to the movie, but that was back in the days before confetti was regulated and the Harlem Globetrotters had yet disappear at sea and find themselves washed ashore on Giligans Island (see the Giligan Island thread) Of course, they returned to find their arch nemesis, The Generals, as a powerful force to be reckoned with & all contracts with the Disney theater were terminated and the theater was soon after torn down, etc. And so, in conclusion, I propose we all get together and go see the Harlem Globetrotters play the Generals to-night at the Coliseum. Short of that, I propose the aforementioned high velocity loop in the Main Street Cinema.

I thank you.

CrayZforDisney
05-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
Ooooh! Just occurred to me what they could at least do with the Cinema for the 50th -

Have viewings of the old 1950's "Disneyland" TV show!

It would be SO cool to go in there and see the "excitement" of opening day, and then step right out on Main Street! Kinda like a portal through time! :D

Some of Walt's early "vaulted" stuff would be cool too - like the Alice Comedies and Laugh-o-grams. It would really add to the nostalgia of Main Street.:)

You're ideas are GREAT! I love the old Disneyland Television show idea! My father says he remembers watching the show when he was young, this would bring back his memories!