PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyers Island Railroad?

pinkpail
05-13-2003, 08:10 AM
First of all let me start by saying that I have never been to Disneyland ,however I do try to keep up with things there. This brings you to my question. Is there a railroad on Tom Sawyers Island? I saw a photo of what looked like a train locomotive peeking through some trees on what was said to be TSI. If this is true where have I been? I have never heard of a train being there. Someone please set me straight.

Just Plain Nice
05-13-2003, 08:14 AM
There are railroad tracks on TSI, but I think they are just for show.. I don't think they ever worked (although i may be wrong) If you ride The Mark Twain, they talk about it (supposedly part of Big Thunder or something?) Part of a "runnaway mine train"

pinkpail
05-13-2003, 08:26 AM
I found the photo I was talking about in my original post. It is on the May 12 Disneyland update on Mouseinfo.com, page 6, photo 3, the "train" in question is behind the man or sort of attatched to his back in the photo. What is that that I am seeing?

justagrrl
05-13-2003, 08:35 AM
this is the image in question (http://www.mouseinfo.com/updates/20030511/small/DSC04395.jpg)

With the larger version here (http://www.mouseinfo.com/updates/20030511/DSC04395.jpg)

It looks like part of the mine train to me...

Toady The Eighth
05-13-2003, 08:44 AM
I believe it is part of the mine train.

pokeypoke
05-13-2003, 09:44 AM
The train you see in the photo is what's left of the former Rainbow Caverns Mine Train/Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland which was replaced by BTMR. was replaced by BTMR. The Mine Train attraction was never actually located on TSI. I remember this attraction back in the mid 70's when I was a kid and loving the cool blue colors reflecting off the water and walls of Rainbow Caverns.

Pokey:)

Disneyphile
05-13-2003, 10:02 AM
A bit off-topic, but here's another little bit of trivia about locomotives found at DL:

The small steam engine found in the queue area of BTMR is from the movie Hot Lead and Cold Feet (1978).

I loved that movie as a kid.:)

Subsonic
05-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Actually, from the BTMR Bridge in the fish jumping pond you can see the old track from the old railroad. :)

Tref
05-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
A bit off-topic, but here's another little bit of trivia about locomotives found at DL:

The small steam engine found in the queue area of BTMR is from the movie Hot Lead and Cold Feet (1978).

I loved that movie as a kid.:)

That's a great bit of trivia. I liked that movie a lot, too.

I.r.

MetalliKitty
05-13-2003, 03:53 PM
I have been curious about that for a while.
So the broken-off track jutting out of the tunnels there, by the water, was actually part of the Mine Train attraction? I knew there was a different train ride a long time ago and I always wondered if those were leftover pieces of it or merely there for scenery value.

Subsonic
05-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by MetalliKitty
So the broken-off track jutting out of the tunnels there, by the water, was actually part of the Mine Train attraction? I knew there was a different train ride a long time ago and I always wondered if those were leftover pieces of it or merely there for scenery value.

Exactly :)

Lashbear
05-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MetalliKitty

There is a website which has a lot of pics of this and more side-by-side with the recent pics - I will see if I can find the link for you ! :D

Lashbear
05-13-2003, 06:31 PM
HERE IT IS ! (http://www.thrillmountain.com/Disneyland.asp?page=3)

The mine train is almost halfway down. :fez:

Lost Boy
05-13-2003, 06:31 PM
On the Nature's Wonderland version of the mine train ride that preceeded Big Thunder Mountain and followed Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, the train did actually go out and around the falls that used to be there (the three sisters falls). What is there today is one of the old train ride vehicles (the locomotive pulled the cars, which were designed to look like old mine ore cars) and you sat in these cars, on bench seats around the inside edge of the cars. It went over a bridge (where the jumping fish can still be seen today) thru the tunnel (that is still there only boarded up) out around the 3-sister falls and back into the desert and Rainbow Caverns. (When they redid the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train attraction and changed it to Nature's Wonderland, Rainbow Caverns remained). You could see the bears (that are still there today on the banks of Rivers of America) using the trees as back scratchers. This is a tradition with Imagineers. A tribute to the ride that was there before the current ride. Of course the mine ore cars were not full of dirt or little cirtters that pop up today (A/A Prarie Dogs that pop up and whistle at you as the Mark Twain or Columbia go past). Nature's Wonderland was a great attraction and Rainbow Caverns was truly something special. There is a tribute to Rainbow Caverns in Big Thunder also. You can see it as the train goes up the first lift hill inside the mountain on the left side of the train. It's not as spectacular as the first version, but it's nice to see nonetheless.

MetalliKitty
05-14-2003, 10:16 AM
well thank you ever so kindly for the info and the link !

Now I see...

(and what a great addition to my all-Disney IE 'favorites' folder):) :D

Mickeyslittlehelper
05-14-2003, 02:48 PM
nice ladder justagrrl

justagrrl
05-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Mickeyslittlehelper
nice ladder justagrrl

:~D If you look to the right of the ladder (i.e. scroll) you'll see the train in question.

Mickeyslittlehelper
05-14-2003, 07:40 PM
haha sorry! my bad, im blind