PDA

View Full Version : How are fastpass rides determined (Toy Story--I'm looking at you)?

Pages : [1] 2

sparkareno
03-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I have never seen a line with less than a 45 minute wait for Toy Story--why doesn't that have a Fastpass? It seems that it has been open long enough for them to have realized what a joke that wait is. How do they determine what gets a Fastpass?

bennette
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
My completely subjective belief is they will get a FastPass machine for Toy Story as soon as there is something, anything else that will drive guests to the back of the park and keep them there long enough to buy a corn dog. So maybe the Ariel Ride? Carsland? Not before.

(I realize California Screamin' is there but apparently it isn't doing enough.)

I am sure a FastPass is coming, one day. Otherwise they would have put air conditioning in that incredibly stuffy (and boring) queue.

Letterbomb1039
03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
i think its gonna take a while for toy story to have a fast pass. For one, they really don't have much room to work with to make another queue over there. i do think its possible, but that area would get pretty crowded quickly. Two, they still haven't even made a fast pass for Nemo's submarine voyage in Disneyland; in that case they have TONS of space to work with over there, but yet they still haven't decided to make that attraction be able to utilize the Fast pass.

IllusionOfLife
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Two, they still haven't even made a fast pass for Nemo's submarine voyage in Disneyland; in that case they have TONS of space to work with over there, but yet they still haven't decided to make that attraction be able to utilize the Fast pass.

The problem with Nemo, I think, is that it's such a slow loader anyway that Fastpasses wouldn't be very effective. There's sort of a gradient scale when it comes to the effectiveness of Fastpasses; on one side you have the super high capacity or fast loading attractions like Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean where Fastpasses are superfluous because the line is constantly moving, then on the other hand you have attractions that are so limited in the people they can get through every hour, for instance Dumbo and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, that Fastpasses wouldn't do anything to help the situation.

The attractions that work best with Fastpasses are the ones right in the middle, attractions like Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain, and, yes, Toy Story Midway Mania. I honestly don't know why Toy Story doesn't have a Fastpass line because it would really benefit from one.

jsilkey
03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
The one in WDW has it....we got FP's first thing and waited in the early morning line. I really, really love this ride :p

Grandpa Louie
03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
I think it's as simple as having a way to connect into the power and signal systems in such a way that doesn't create an obstruction. Depending on the location it may be more disruptive and expensive just to build the wiring conduits to service the Fast Pass machines.

That being said, I wonder why no additional Fast Pass machines were put in as part of the World of Color new construction?

Bytebear
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
It seems pretty obvious that installing FP machines isn't an easy task, or they would have installed ones for WoC instead of reusing the GRR machines (same goes for Star Tours using Buzz). I could see them reusing the Screamin' machines since that queue seems to go a lot faster.

But, given you need a network connection that ties the machines together (as well as the front gate), it's a bit more than just running electricity to the system. Although, they could have wireless connectivity, but I doubt it.

As for Nemo, I think the observation room acts as a FP alternative. If you want to get on it fast, use that method.

Malcon10t
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
The attractions that work best with Fastpasses are the ones right in the middle, attractions like Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain, and, yes, Toy Story Midway Mania. I honestly don't know why Toy Story doesn't have a Fastpass line because it would really benefit from one.This is the issue exactly. The rides have to have a high enough capacity to make fastpass work. Fastpass only allots a percentage of the hourly ride capacity to the fastpass, and when it reaches that point, it moves to the next hour. Toy Story Mania doesn't have enough capacity to make it functionable. (This is also why the standby line becomes so long at night, when people have collected all day then use them at night instead of during the alloted time frame.)

Anyone else remember if POTC had fastpass at one time? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember it having FP when FP first came out. They got rid of FP for POTC and IASW. If Nemo was a higher capacity, they could reallocate the Autopia FP machines to Nemo.

houseofmouse
03-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I do remember POTC had fastpass when it first came out. :)

TSMM used to have a single rider line to the far right of the queue but it disappeared by the time we went last summer. I was bummed but a CM told a friend they stopped it because too many people did not want a single rider riding with them. Whatever....

If it had a FP I think it would make Standby longer but who knows if that is true.

IllusionOfLife
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Anyone else remember if POTC had fastpass at one time? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember it having FP when FP first came out. They got rid of FP for POTC and IASW. If Nemo was a higher capacity, they could reallocate the Autopia FP machines to Nemo.

There were a bunch of attractions that had Fastpasses way back in the early days before they decided it was superfluous. PotC was one, but there was also Haunted Mansion (I think they still break out the FP machines during the Holidays), Star Tours, and even the three 3D shows had Fastpasses (why in the world you'd need a Fastpass to get into HISTA I'll never know).

Malcon10t
03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
There were a bunch of attractions that had Fastpasses way back in the early days before they decided it was superfluous. PotC was one, but there was also Haunted Mansion (I think they still break out the FP machines during the Holidays), Star Tours, and even the three 3D shows had Fastpasses (why in the world you'd need a Fastpass to get into HISTA I'll never know).Interesting, I don't remember FP to HISTA. And yes, they still have FP to HMH.

Tinkermommy
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
While I don't remember HISTA having its own fastpass, I do remember a period of time a few years ago when we'd get a fastpass for something like Indiana Jones and the machine would spit out a "bonus" fastpass for HISTA. I thought maybe they were just hoping unsuspecting tourists would think it was something cool and go see it. :p

Bytebear
03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
While I don't remember HISTA having its own fastpass, I do remember a period of time a few years ago when we'd get a fastpass for something like Indiana Jones and the machine would spit out a "bonus" fastpass for HISTA. I thought maybe they were just hoping unsuspecting tourists would think it was something cool and go see it. :p

I remember the HISTA bonus pass. It never had its own machines though. And it wasn't so much a fastpass but more priority seating. They did it with the Bug show and Muppets too. Not sure if they did it with Aladdin tho.

IllusionOfLife
03-02-2011, 08:21 PM
They did it with the Bug show and Muppets too. Not sure if they did it with Aladdin tho.

Really? I thought it was all three. I guess it was just those two, though, now that I think about it.

cstephens
03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
TSMM used to have a single rider line to the far right of the queue but it disappeared by the time we went last summer. I was bummed but a CM told a friend they stopped it because too many people did not want a single rider riding with them. Whatever....

In close quarters like that? Yeah, count me as one of the people who doesn't want to sit with a total stranger like that - it would be like sticking a stranger with me in a doombuggy.

Malcon10t
03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I remember the HISTA bonus pass. It never had its own machines though. And it wasn't so much a fastpass but more priority seating. They did it with the Bug show and Muppets too. Not sure if they did it with Aladdin tho.Yes, and they still have the "priority seating" for Bugs/Muppets/Aladdin. Thank you, I didn't remember FP either.

cookie7762
03-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I totally remember the "bonus" fast-passes. I agree with the rest of you, it was definitely a trick to drive some unsuspecting tourist to a low popularity ride!

I still have Haunted Mansion (pre HMH exclusive) and POTC fast passes that I intend to hold on to now that they are no longer available. Not that they are worth anything, but still fun to have!

The old man
03-03-2011, 04:55 AM
I think it's simply a matter of logistics. There is no room to run a second queue.

houseofmouse
03-03-2011, 07:13 AM
In close quarters like that? Yeah, count me as one of the people who doesn't want to sit with a total stranger like that - it would be like sticking a stranger with me in a doombuggy.

Each to his own, that is why they stopped it. However, in the TSMM cart you are not that close to each other like you would be in a Doombuggy. :) I had a lot of fun with several people I shared a ride with on Mania. How is it any different that Indy? You sit right next to each other, and you may even bump each other since it is a jerky ride.

But that is okay I understand people each have their own space issues. :)

Bytebear
03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
I've had hit or miss with Single Rider. I do Single Rider all the time on Splash, and I try to make the picture exciting for the family in the log. Usually it ends up with one overly excited person with the rest looking blankly into space.

The other rides, I don't do single rider on, but have had single riders end up next to me. That's a big unnerving. It's one thing to choose to sit next to a stranger, another to have a stranger thrust upon you. Usually they have been quiet, but one 9 year old boy was talking throughout the whole ride about how excited he was. That was fun.

cstephens
03-03-2011, 08:04 AM
How is it any different that Indy?

Well, in Indy, you have an individual seat, and you're in a vehicle with a bunch of other people. And on something like the train or Pirates, where it's a bench, there's a bunch of other people around you as well. The TSMM vehicle is not individual seats, and while you can see the car next to you, you're pretty much alone with whomever might be in the vehicle with you. It's not quite as isolated as a doombuggy, I'll admit, but isolated enough that I don't want to be stuck with a stranger like that.

houseofmouse
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Byteabear you can spice up our Splash pics! We are always trying to be silly in our pics! :)

candles71
03-04-2011, 08:31 AM

I would have been happier if he had known what deodorant was, but he upped my score by quite a bit. I rode single rider a couple of times, on the 8th grade graduation trip a couple of years ago. I have also been given a single rider at times, it usually doesn't bother me. Of course, being a mommy type, I would tend to get the kids in the line.:)

danyoung
03-04-2011, 09:10 AM
...then on the other hand you have attractions that are so limited in the people they can get through every hour, for instance Dumbo and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, that Fastpasses wouldn't do anything to help the situation.

Just to pick a nit, but FP on Nemo would work great for the people who scored a FP. But the standby line would then move so freakin' slowly (and it ALREADY moves so freakin' slowly!) that it would just be horrible.

Globetrotter
03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
The park wasn't even open for an hour and the fast pass return time was already 4:45-5:45pm when we were there last week!!!!!!