PDA

View Full Version : Tributes to attractions of the past

Pages : [1] 2

Gemini Cricket
05-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Let's start a list of attractions in Disneyland that have tributes to old attractions in them.

I'm not sure if it is a written rule or not, but Disney Imagineers, when building over an existing attraction, will put a tribute to the old attraction in the new one.

Let's see who knows what.

1. In Tarzan's Treehouse, the "Swisskapolka" can be heard coming from an old radio. It pays homage to "The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse" which was replaced.

DisneyFan25863
05-11-2003, 05:22 PM
You can see the microscope thingy from ATIS in Star Tours just before you exit the spaceport

rexfarms
05-11-2003, 05:24 PM
The Country Bears in Pooh.:fez:

Gemini Cricket
05-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
The Country Bears in Pooh.:fez:
I'm assuming you mean Max, Buff and Melvin heads in the ride. ;) :D
Click here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030326avp.htm) and about 3/4 of the way down you can see them.

Matterhorn Fan
05-11-2003, 05:52 PM
4. There's an old Eeyore parking lot sign in the Indy queue. Yeah, I know the Eeyore parking lot wasn't really an attraction, but there ya go.

(Someone'll have to stop me and point it out sometime, cause I think it's in one of the sections that you breeze through now, and I've actually never spotted it.)

tangaroa
05-11-2003, 05:58 PM
5. There used to be a portrait of the father from the Carousel of Progress sitting in the Home section in Innoventions, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

5.5 I always thought the red/white/blue carpet on the outer ring in Innoventions was a nice tribute to America Sings too, but that's just my opinion :)

6. Over in Critter Country, just before the first drop, you can hear some snoring coming from Brer Bear's cave. Supposedly this is a tribute to Rufus, the original snoring bear who did a poor job of garuding the entrance to the original Bear Country!

Not Afraid
05-11-2003, 08:03 PM
These may ot be as directly located, but.......

7. The most obvious tribute is the small version of the Rocket outside Pizza Port. (Also, inside are attraction posters for long gone TL attractions)

8. There are pictures of the Country Bears in the Pooh Fudge Shop.

9. There are old TL ride vehicles in the Premier Shop

Disney Nick
05-11-2003, 08:06 PM
There's an empty skyway station in Fantasyland that pays homage to the skyway station that used to be there ;)

Techie7
05-11-2003, 08:17 PM
There are Orange Trees in DCA and DL! ;)

Disney Nick
05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
There are Orange Trees in DCA and DL! ;)
:o

And there is a monorail track where legend has it a MONORAIL used to run WITHOUT breaking down. Anyone else heard such crazy stories? :D

zapppop
05-11-2003, 08:44 PM
There's an empty PeopleMover track.

Disney Nick
05-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
There's an empty PeopleMover track.
Technically it's an empty RR track :)

Mr. Fusion
05-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
4. There's an old Eeyore parking lot sign in the Indy queue. Yeah, I know the Eeyore parking lot wasn't really an attraction, but there ya go.

(Someone'll have to stop me and point it out sometime, cause I think it's in one of the sections that you breeze through now, and I've actually never spotted it.)

Check out Cadaverous Pallor's post in Before Indy (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=149093#post149093):

Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
It's tough to see him without a flashlight, but we've done it. It's all about being light enough inside. I recommend going to look for Eeyore after it's fully dark outside - your eyes will think it's bright in there.

Go to the end of the film room. If there's no line through all the switchbacks, hop into the empty switchbacks and stand as far from the projector as you can. Then turn towards the projector. There's a whole platform up there. It's a ways behind the projector. Eeyore is white against a dark blue background. It's all about staring at it long enough until you recognize what you're seeing.

Of course, the best way is to carry a flashlight, but it CAN be done without one.

We were stuck in the queue on an especially busy day (I don't know why) and I stared up there for the longest time...when I realized that I saw him, I grabbed GD's shirt and said "Oh my God!" Scared the hell out of him. :D

-Mr. Fusion

experiment626
05-11-2003, 10:28 PM
This is from WDW but in the Pooh attraction you can see Mr. Toad handing Owl the deed to the attraction.

Lashbear
05-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Well, if we're going on to WDW - you can still hear Mr Tom Morrow being paged on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority !

Gemini Cricket
05-12-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Well, if we're going on to WDW - you can still hear Mr Tom Morrow being paged on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority !
(He's also being paged in DL's Star Tours... the man gets around. He must have a lot of frequent flyer miles. :))

hbquikcomjamesl
05-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Mr Tom Morrow being paged on the [WDW-MK] Tomorrowland Transit Authority
He's also being paged in DL's Star Tours
And of course, that's also the name given to the Timekeeper-lookalike who serves as the animatronic host to Innoventions (who also manages to sing a chorus of the theme from CoP)

innerSpaceman
05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Well, it seems there are two categories of tributes:
- intentional tribute salutes; and
- remnants of former attractions which are an unintentional salute

This one is both:

The remnant train tracks along the eastern shore of the Rivers of America that are an unintentional tribute to the (recently removed) stranded, prairie-dog infested Mine Train that was in turn an intentional tribute to Mine Train thru Natures Wonderland and, going further back in time, the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train.

Thomas
05-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by NMoreles
There's an empty skyway station in Fantasyland that pays homage to the skyway station that used to be there ;)

For some reason that is funny and I can't stop laughing:D

mousketeer
05-12-2003, 02:54 PM
I might be going out on a limb on this one, but here it is. During the Rocket Rods days, in the circle-vision queue, part of the movie clips were from either America, the Beautiful or American Journeys, hence paying triblute to Circle Vision. The other clips were from Magic Highway, USA (1958), but that pays no tribute.

Not Afraid
05-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
The remnant train tracks along the eastern shore of the Rivers of America that are an unintentional tribute to the (recently removed) stranded, prairie-dog infested Mine Train that was in turn an intentional tr.bute to Mine Train thru Natures Wonderland and, going further back in time, the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train.

The first lift on BT pays tribute to the geyser pots from Rainbow Caverns.

Pirate Girl
05-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
:o

And there is a monorail track where legend has it a MONORAIL used to run WITHOUT breaking down. Anyone else heard such crazy stories? :D

You mean from point A to point B without stopping? My goodness, what fun that would be!

rexfarms
05-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 100thGrimGrinningGhost
You mean from point A to point B without stopping? My goodness, what fun that would be!

Just because you stop doesnt mean it went 101. What may have happened is that it took too long loading guests at the station and the MAPO was beeping at them to stop and slow down. MM can back me up on this. :fez: ;)

lazyboy97O
05-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Just because you stop doesnt mean it went 101. What may have happened is that it took too long loading guests at the station and the MAPO was beeping at them to stop and slow down. MM can back me up on this. :fez: ;)
man, if peeps at DL complain about the monorail stopping they should avoid WDW. Those things arestopped all over the place. It is becasue fo the safty system.

Aslo, since some did WDW here is another. On the Tomorrowland Transit Authority there is a model of Walt's vision of a city of tomorrow. This is actually the original EPCOT model.

DisneyFan25863
05-12-2003, 08:39 PM

Because MM didn't show up, I'll just back you up. He's right, don't ya know. :fez: