PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious object closes Downtown Disney - OCRegister [Now reopened]

MousePlanet AutoPoster
02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Suspicious object closes Downtown Disney (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNEs50TOVtn2_k0H7u7jOVol94QWTg&url=http://www.ocregister.com/news/suspicious-289321-object-downtown.html)
OCRegister
ANAHEIM â?? Downtown Disney was closed at 11:10 am amid a report of a suspicious object found on the bridge over Disneyland Drive, Anaheim Police Sgt. Chuck Knight. ANAHEIM â?? Downtown Disney was closed at ...

[/URL]

[url=http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNEs50TOVtn2_k0H7u7jOVol94QWTg&url=http://www.ocregister.com/news/suspicious-289321-object-downtown.html]More... (http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&ned=us&ncl=dqqHzdYWXpad5ZM)

AVP
02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
The Disneyland Resort has confirmed via Twitter that Downtown Disney and some surrounding streets are closed as a result of a suspicious package found in the area. It's uncertain right now how guests staying at the Disneyland Hotel are able to access the theme parks; our guess is that they're being redirected across Disneyland Drive and through the Grand Californian into DCA.

AVP

AVP
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
It's over, nothing to see here, everyone move along. [Downtown Disney has reopened, as has Disneyland Drive]

AVP

newhdplayer
02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Whom can I sue?

AVP
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
The Register has now updated the story linked above and is reporting that the item was a geochache. They quote Anaheim Police Sgt. Bob Dunn as saying "We would like to inform those who geochache not to leave items out in open places where it could cause suspicion."

AVP

quackinup
02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Was it actually on the Disney property? One article I read said something like "a bridge connecting Disneyland Hotel to the park." The only place I could put that would be where Downtown Disney passes over Disneyland Drive. My understanding is that Disney does not allow any physical caches on theor property. All of the ones shown on the Geocaching website are virtual caches.

Twindaddy, did you drop off a new cache? :fez:

BlkPearlCptn
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
The Register has now updated the story linked above and is reporting that the item was a geochache. They quote Anaheim Police Sgt. Bob Dunn as saying "We would like to inform those who geochache not to leave items out in open places where it could cause suspicion."

AVP

I'm admitting my ignorance here... what is a geochache?

danyoung
02-23-2011, 02:22 PM
It's a game that's played with GPS systems. Clues are put out on a website, and then someone with a portable GPS zeros in on the item. Usually you don't take it with you - you just log that you found it, and sometimes add something to it for the next person.

It used to be much more in fashion before 9/11. Now any package that's left unattended is a suspicious package.

quackinup
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
I dispatch for Ventura County Sheriff and we've had quite a few calls about them. Only one that I'm aware of resulted in a bomb squad callout and that one was "disrupted" with a water canon. One caller's son had picked one up in the back country and brought it home. I had a deputy pick it up from him and I returned it to it's location.

There are none shown on the actual Disney grounds, or even close to the area where this was, that would have caused this so I'm guessing someone placed a new one and it hasn't been listed yet.

Sosai X
02-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Someone should hide a Geocache inside the cabinet below the Enchanted Fountain inside the Tiki Room. If you look close, there are doors that open to access the internal plumbing. It would be the last place anyone would look. Hidden in plain sight!

Tinkermommy
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Someone should hide a Geocache inside...the Tiki Room.

Hmm...in these days of heightened suspicion of all unattended boxes, packages and bags, I suspect it would be a bad idea to attempt to hide an object anywhere inside an theme park attraction, or in any other heavily populated public place.

Honestly, if I saw someone hiding something in a theme park attraction, I'd err on the side of caution and report it immediately, complete with a description of the person who placed it. And then, they'd probably have to close the attraction to investigate, and a whole bunch of happy people out for a fun day would be inconvenienced. Not worth it, in my opinion!

Bolivar
03-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I was in the park while this was going on. I counted seven helicopters hovering overhead. Can you imagine what this thing cost: the police closing the area, the bomb squad coming in, the newsrooms all dispatching helicopters that then hovered overhead for an hour or so and I am sure that ground based news people started showing up as well.

kfreak
03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Geocaching is a fun game, and good times for hiking. There are no Geocaches except as stated before on Disney property. The only ones now are Virtual. Also, none of the people who publish the caches would publish one on Disney Property. They have standing orders from the company that runs the biggest Geocache hosting site that Disney is off limits.