PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on why Pooh was not so good

DL4EVER
05-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Okay, I have not personally been on the ride myself, but have seen the video of the ride. I think it is an okay ride, but looks like it cannot compare to its Disney World counterpart, but let's face it, WDW obviously gets more money to spend on attractions, I mean come on, they get Mission:SPACE, EXPEDITION Everest, Mickey's PhillharMAGIC. DL is obviously not getting that sort of financial attention. I have ridden the Pooh ride in WDW and even though I am 14, I liked it just as much as I did when I was 11.

I think the Pooh ride could have been done better, but considering the other things DLR is getting, I would rather have them spend money on these things than make the Pooh ride expensive. Here are some examples, some of them not very big things but costed money:

1. Space Mountain Redo
2. Indy Ride Refurb(this is coming up)
3. Tower of Terror
4. IASW RepaintA(not so expensive, but oh well)
5. King Arthur's Carousel Repaint(not so expensive, but oh well)
6. A Bug's Land(even though it seems that it kinda sucks)
7. Tom Sawyer's Island Refurb(they opened the bridge again!)

These 3 are not confirmed to happen but would cost quite a bit of money:

1. Submarine Ride
2. Stitch Alien Encounter
3. Superstar Limo Redo

I feel that the Pooh ride is okay for what it is, but not when you are comparing it to the WDW version. I mean, I think the main problem is one that is encountered a lot: People got excited about something that was not neccessarily be what they hoped.

This is my 2 cents, if you don't want them, please return them to me:D

keschy
05-10-2003, 02:39 PM
I haven't been on the pooh ride at WDW but I went on the one in DL before it was officially opened. I thought it was OK. I would much rather have the country bears there, though! I am not much of a pooh fan to begin with. The ride seemed to go by very fast and was a bit too bright for me, too. I hope to try the one at WDW someday!

jerjer2005
05-10-2003, 06:27 PM
im very disapointed with your frivilious statements made about Disneylands newest attraction, The many adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

If someone does not like an attraction i can appriciate that, but to disrespect the hours and hours of work that imagineers put in on the attraction before even riding the ride is totally unexceptible.

further more the pooh ride at disneyland has been said to be more elabrate then the WDW edition. The imagineers had more room to space the ride out over due to the large Country Bear Playhouse show room that pooh now occupies.

and on a last note, although disney did spend alot of money on the new attraction, that does not mean they are not going to fulfull the comittment of the future rehabs.

and to correct you on a few tidbits, stich ride is not going in. space mountain is and so is the subs for sure. The so called redo that you speak of is in the works and that is for a monsters inc theme to replace the ill fated superstar limo. The indy rehab is going to be in full swing and was never going to be in question due to the cost of pooh, (nor were any other refurb or new rides)
you seem to be relating the cost of pooh to things that have nothing to do with that at all. Lets jsut all get our facts straight before we present them.
:confused:

cemeinke
05-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
Lets jsut all get our facts straight before we present them.
:confused:

LOL - There are very few of those short a Disney Press Release, of which there have been none about any of the above, except for the one finnally announcing Pooh. All we can do is speculate and sift through all the competeing rumors. But isn't that we we come here?

DL4EVER
05-10-2003, 07:37 PM
No, that is not what I meant at all, jer jer. I am not saying Pooh was hindered by those things, or that those things are going to be hindered by Pooh, I was just pointing out that they have quite a lot that they will be spending money on, so Pooh did not appear to get as much money spent on it as some other rides are going to get.

I would like to correct my above post. I just feel that the DL Pooh was not done to the full potential it could have been. I do not disrespect the work imagineers put in on this ride, I have the highest respect for imagineers.

I think that this version is great for over here in DL now that I think about it, because it is unique.

I really did not mean this to say that Pooh is a bad ride, it is just not as good as it could be in my opinion.

Please disregard my prior post because this post is much more clear in its meaning than my previous one.

mousey_girl
05-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Our main goal today was to go on this ride. Our 6yr old liked it, but did not bug us to go back on it like he does with other rides. I was not that impressed. The movment of the beehive is a toned down Jolly Trolly ride, there is no reason for that. Tigger pops up, out of the blue, still trying to figure that one out. The whole thing seemed disjointed. The other dark rides are trying to follow some sort of a plot line and Pooh, in my opinion, falls short. I was also shocked at how short this ride is!!! Has anyone timed it yet??

With all of the technological advances that have taken place since the 60's I was not impressed that the best thing they could do was rock the car and an excessive amount of black light effects.

DL4EVER
05-10-2003, 08:13 PM
But it isn't supposed to be an Indianna Jones, it is a kid ride, it isn't supposed to be full of technology or you would probably get people complaining about it not being a Disney dark ride. I enjoy the dark rides at my age, because it is not about the ride itself, it is how it is presented and the way the ride is. For example, Indianna Jones without the movement would just be a snow white with special effects, but they immersed you into the ride so you actually feel like you are bouncing in a millitary transport through a temple. I feel that some may be too critical of a dark ride geared to kids.

HT

mousey_girl
05-10-2003, 08:16 PM
I just didn't like it... my son said he did, but wanted to go on Mr Toad (which we have been on many, many times) than ride Pooh again.

I was not sorry to see the bears go, nor was I wanting an Indy type ride, I just wanted something better than what I experienced today. This ride had the potential to be better than the other dark rides in the park and it isn't. That is all, no more no less.

DisneyDustin22
05-11-2003, 02:43 AM
i think one problem people have with the pooh ride is the simple way the ride is presented...if you look at all the other dark rides in DL, even though the layouts are long, the interior of the rides themselves are very small...for example on toad or snow white, you actually feel like a little kid in a fantasy world, going through the story...everything is dark and you only see what the story wants you to see...now im not saying pooh is bad, for the space they had to work with and what the were designing off of, i feel they did a good job, however, there is a lot of unused space in the ride, particularly, because the giant behives resemble cars...which means they need a lot of space to manuver through the ride...compare the vehicles of pooh to the cars on toad or snow white, heck even the ships on peter pan arent that big, thats the only thing that bothers me about the ride, is i feel like im sitting in my car riding through the story...i dotn know if anyone else feels the same, its just my opinion...i like the ride however, and dont have any real problems with it

Someone You Dont Know
05-11-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by DL4EVER
I have ridden the Pooh ride in WDW and even though I am 14, I liked it just as much as I did when I was 11.

You're incredibly articulate for a 14 year old. Right on, right on. :D

Christiii
05-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Liek I said in my other post...I really didnt min the ride till I watched the Tokyo Pooh vidoe..WOW!!:eek: Thats shows you whata Pooh ride really could be!!! Before the comparison I guess I thought that was all they could think of to do with Pooh...boy, was I wrong!! People get upset when we compare the two, and Im not saying that we have to be exactly like Tokyo...I just think that If Disneyland bothers to go the the expense and trouble of putting in a whole new ride, it really should be the best it can be!! Im not one to bash Disneyland either..I love it, and it truly is my favorite place on earth..I just reeeaaallly think they missed the boat on this one....

DL4EVER
05-11-2003, 08:06 AM
I do happen to think I am a very articulate 14 year old:D

Someone You Dont Know
05-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by DL4EVER
I do happen to think I am a very articulate 14 year old:D

Work on your modesty, and you'll be set for life. ;)

Toady The Eighth
05-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Everyone keeps knocking Pooh, and a lot of people haven't even tried it!!

If they were to copy Disney World's version exactly,some people would have been complaining about that.

"Gee, Doesn't Disneyland have any originality?"

Come on you guys! Give Pooh a try! I really liked it! I thought it was a very nice dark ride, and I was seated in the same car with kids, several times, most of whom were delighted, and their parents were having fun too.:D

Thomas
05-12-2003, 09:40 AM
DL4EVER is just re-visiting another thread which has already been beat to death. Prior to the ride opening, many posters here put down the ride as not being like the one at WDW. After the soft openings and the grand openings, most of these posters were never heard from again either because they wound up enjoying it or just didn't want to bother to post about it anymore. If you do not like the ride, don't ride it. There are rides I do not like, so I don't ride them. I don't post about them all the time about how I hate them or how they don't compare to the one at another park.

I can't wait to see whatever new ride opens in Tomorrowland and come 2005, how people will be posting how it's not like the one at WDW.

DL is not WDW. It never has been, nor will it ever be.

.....just my rants for the day.

innerSpaceman
05-12-2003, 09:47 AM
I rode it this past weekend with a friend for whom it was the first time. This person had no knowledge of the Tokyo or WDW versions to compare it with.

Their reaction:

Liked the first half - blustery day scene was pretty; enjoyed the fake wind effect. Rainy day scene was beautiful. Pooh's out-of-body effect was cool.

Then the ride just dropped off to nothingness. Bizarre dream room was ok, then - - zip, nothing, insipid and confusing birthday party and the end.

Starts off charming, ends with a thud. Potentially good ride gone bad.

I think that pretty well sums it up.

Christiii
05-12-2003, 10:53 AM
I have ridden Pooh, and LOVE Disneyland like I have stated. I do not regularl bash anything aobut the park..but I was very suprised about the quality of this new attraction. I think I have the right to that opinion, without being labeled as someone who is always negative about the park. I am someone who loves Disneyland, and I believe that as the oldest and most historical of the parks, we deserve the best...and really really really suprised about the low quality of this ride, as opposed to the others....Cant we have opinions here?? Is it so wrong to believe that if Disneylnad goes to the trouble of adding a new attraction, that we deserve the best quality it can be??

Just Plain Nice
05-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi All,

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see it like this. When I was in Disneyland in April, I loved the new ride, and my two daughters were absolutely enchanted.

I don't see that Pooh is any lower in quality than Mr.Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, or one of the other dark rides. In fact, I very much liked the music, and had hefalumps and woozles (sp?) stuck in my head for the remainder of the day.

My girls loved the ride, and I thought it was well done. A very nice change from the Country Bears, classic as they may have been.:)

pokeypoke
05-12-2003, 01:47 PM
For those of you who do not like the DL version of Pooh and compare it to WDW and TDL's version, please do not fault this matter entirely on the imagineers. From what I was told by a friend of mine who is an assistant show designer at Disney Imagineering, the Disneyland version of Pooh was to be quite different than the other Pooh attractions. You can thank Paul Pressler and his budget-cutting way of thinking for giving us the version we have. The original concept for the DL version was to be a boat ride type attraction. However, instead of boats, guest were to float down a stream of honey in "honeypots. Though my friend never went into specifics, the sets were to be much more elaborate and whimsical with additional scenes and special effects not found at WDW.

Pokey

mousketeer
05-12-2003, 02:44 PM
It is a shame that DL didn't recieve the technically-advanced Pooh's Hunny Hunt from Tokyo Disneyland, but I digress. MAWP is impressive, considering the various restraints placed upon our gifted imagineers. We should all BE THANKFUL for the attraction we have, and not another empty building.

mousey_girl
05-12-2003, 06:14 PM
I based my opinion on only DL's version. I have never been to WDW or TDL, not have I seen any videos of the attraction at the other parks. I have never compared DLR to WDW since I have never been to WDW. I agree with Innerspaceman's assesment that the first part of the ride was good, then it seemed to lose something. I am sorry that I am offending people by not liking it, but I didn't and no amount of people telling me that I am wrong will change that.

People are entitled to their own opinions, all I stated was mine. I don't knock anyone who disagrees with me and I would appreciated the same courtesy.

Thomas
05-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Here's mousey girl's post to whine: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=16351

What were you offended about? In regards to your last post "People are entitled to their own opinions, all I stated was mine. I don't knock anyone who disagrees with me and I would appreciated the same courtesy." Where were you knocked? Having trouble figuring that out.

CrayZforDisney
05-17-2003, 07:14 PM
There is one thing that bothers me about the Pooh ride: the behive vehicles! Could they get any uglier? They look more like giant yellow tomatoes! Well, even though I haven't been on the ride, it still looks cute ( besides the dorky potatoes, lol!), and I hope to go on it in the future.

MMFan
05-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by mousketeer
We should all BE THANKFUL for the attraction we have, and not another empty building.

Your comment makes me think of the type of things said to po' folk who are struggling to pay that month's electricity bill and keep food on the table.

mousketeer
05-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by MMFan
Your comment makes me think of the type of things said to po' folk who are struggling to pay that month's electricity bill and keep food on the table.

Huh?