PDA

View Full Version : Help! Taking a member off deeds and adding a new one

roosterroo
02-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Ok help needed to see if this is possible, my other half is an associate member on his parents dvc policy. His mum passed away few years ago but her name is stil on the deeds, how would his dad go about putting james name in his mums place so he becomes a member and any idea of cost? Thank you

GusMan
02-20-2011, 07:17 AM
I am sure a call to member services would get the process started rather easily. While I don't know about costs I would assume that they so the same thing when aembership is willed to someone or the like. They may even have a standard fee schedule for this sort of thing.

I'm just guessing but I would think it would not be any more than a typical contract closing.

Maybe someone who has been through this can chime in.

arnoldvb
02-20-2011, 08:16 AM
My wife and I just completed a transfer of our membership from our names to the name of a trust we established for estate planning purposes, with our daughter as the ultimate beneficiary. A branch of DVC that's a title company charged $400 to do all of the paperwork for the deed transfer, including recording the new deed with the appropriate gov't agency in FL.

One thing to be aware of is that if the ownership names change, there might (emphasis on "might") be a requirement to pay off any financing loan with DVC. In our case, since my wife and I were still the main trustees of the new trust, we did not have to pay off our loan with DVC. Our monthly EFT arrangement with DVC continues without interruption.

roosterroo
02-20-2011, 11:16 AM
thank you for your help i think the best thing to do is give them a ring, to be honest james dad lets us have the points each year we just pay him the dues. our only reason for thinking about making james a member was because we are hopefully doing 2 trips this year and it would be cheaper to buy annual passes than 2 separate tickets one for each trip and if you are a dvc member annual passes are even cheaper.