PDA

View Full Version : How much do the CMs get paid?

XxJack SkellingtonxX
05-09-2003, 11:51 PM
I'm dying to know how much Cast members get paid because I'm about to work at Disneyland during college. I'd hope ride operators and other CMs get more then minimum wage. I'd be happy with 7.00. Also is it hard to get a job as a ride operator. From what I hear interviewers try to place you where you first request. Although I'm sure thats rides for basically everyone.

Polar33
05-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Check out Disneyland CM Starting Pay Rates (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneyland/hourly/hourly4.html) brought to you by the Disneyland Resort Casting website. (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneyland/home/index.html)

PhilMP
05-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by XxJack SkellingtonxX
Although I'm sure thats rides for basically everyone.

LOL!!!! :)

Riiiiiiiiiight, like I'd actually request to work in a position that a zoo can train a monkey...or perhaps even a dolphin, to do.

Let's see, according to recent casting trends, if you're cute or smart, you go to Attractions, Stores, etc. If you're ugly...but smart, you go to Foods. If you're ugly AND not smart, you go to ODV.

Flame all you want, but I see what our trainers have to work with, and my friends at Disney U also pass along some helpful info. We seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of recent new hires and new hires from a year ago.

Phil

Disney Nick
05-10-2003, 04:32 AM
Let's see, according to recent casting trends, if you're cute or smart, you go to Attractions, Stores, etc. If you're ugly...but smart, you go to Foods. If you're ugly AND not smart, you go to ODV.

I think you meant to say AND. Otherwise that sentence doesn't make much sense.

Nice to know I'd get a good spot in attractions though :fez:

10krbell
05-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP
LOL!!!! :)

That isn't even recent casting trends. I was a CM in 1997 - 1998, still was the same trend. DH was a CM from 1989 - 1992 and there was the exact same thing. If you read anything obout the history, you'll see that casting has always followed the same trend.

But just as a reference, when I was there (in Attractions) a starting CT made $5.10, not exactly the big bucks...but at the time a little (very little) more than minimum wage.

tikiboy
05-10-2003, 09:13 AM
All I can say is don't do attractions! For a few reasons actually.

1. You don't get paid as much, as let's say foods.
2. You will be bored out of your MIND!! I thought Indy would
be a real fun place to work. WRONG! Maybe for the first
week it was cool, but after that.....
3. You don't get to socialize as much as stores, ODV, or foods.
You always have to be doing your job. Plus, you may meet
your wife while working there. ;)
4. I don't care what anyone says, the people in attractions
aren't cuter. The cute ones are spread out.
5. And if you don't work foods, no one can call you a 'spoon'!

P.S. Foods CMs are known as 'spoons'

zapppop
05-10-2003, 10:05 AM
2 years ago when I auditioned for the MSEP, the salary offered was $7 per hour.

I didn't accept the offer ;)

CM's make anywhere between $7 - $11 per hour.

PhilMP
05-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Well...Operations CMs make 7-11 bucks an hour. You go outside Operations to a department in Entertainment, for example...Technical Services, and your hourly rate jumps waaayyy up.

I know the starting Tech Services rate is about 17/hour, and the starting Stage Manager rate is about 13/hour.

The only thing about non-Operations departments is that they're extremely difficult to get into, since they have a number of transfer applications and regular people applying for a small number of positions.

Phil

LFuzzy
05-10-2003, 01:19 PM
The good news... they seem to be hiring a lot for the summer season. The bad news... you start at the bottom. In other words, no benifits, probably hire in as temp/seasonal and since you would be new, you may not get the hours you want.
The pay is somewhat dependent on where you end up. Figure on the $7 to $8 range. If you are 'on-stage' you must deal with the guest's. Be ready to take abuse. 'Backstage' is a little more relaxed, but can be very hectic at times. One more thing, if you are a costumed character, you may be wearing a furry, heavy, HOT, suit while on-stage, and quite often in many backstage areas too. You cannot take off your costume where any guest might see. Most people that are 'cast-off' are due to attendance problems. You must be there when scheduled, or the show cannot go on. On the other hand, most CM are great people that will go out of their way to help and answer your questions.
Hope this helps.
Good luck, and hope to see you out there.

-LF