PDA

View Full Version : Submarine ride re-thought

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tref
05-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Or, re-imagined, as it were ....

Any thoughts about how they (or you) should (or would) improve the Submarine ride?

And before you all say, a 20,000 Leagues make-over on the subs, let's stick strictly with the ride, itself. I think its a given that we would all love to see a mini-fleet of Nautili.

I remain,

mousketeer
05-09-2003, 02:30 PM
How about REAL mermaids!!!! I'm sure every cast member will be viying for the opportunity to perform with an oxygen tank.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Actually, mermaids have been done before, many years ago. The CMs ended up with green hair, and there was at least one case on record of sailors on leave jumping in after them.

stevemo
05-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Improve? How does one improve upon perfection?

Tref
05-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Myself, I am tempted to just say leave it as it was, but there is so much they could do effects-wise to improve the original.

Of course, they could also update it with a Little Mermaid set piece. A few MP's might declare this change blaspheme, but I wouldn't be entirely adverse to it. In fact, I think it would be rather nice. The Little Mermaid is certainly worthy of its own attraction, much more then Stitch, anyway. I credit TLM for bringing me back to the fold, as it were.

I.r.

Toady The Eighth
05-09-2003, 03:42 PM
I wish I could be a mermaid in the Sub Lagoon. :(

Oh, I just love whining!:D

bigjim
05-09-2003, 03:50 PM
How about adding some scenes inside from Atlantis (the animated movie).

hefferdude
05-09-2003, 04:11 PM
I think its a given that we would all love to see a mini-fleet of Nautili.

All too true but add something from Mysterious Island aka
Nemo's lair towards the end.

Tigertail777
05-09-2003, 04:33 PM
ok as for content, I see no reason why you couldnt put little mermaid, atlantis, and 20k all together as one, by using the context of the original ride. Just put the atlantis city from the movie where the "tottering columns" of atlantis were (always looked like strung together milk cartons to me) make some really nice detailed sets that you go through of the atlantis from the movie. In the mermaid boudier (sp?) put the little mermaid and pals in that section. And bulk of the ride could be 20k because it already basically IS 20k (the giant squid) so just add some of the effects from wdw like the divers.

As for the effects and such, put the sub on the track in a plexiglass tank type thing so JUST the sub is in water, then have the scenes "dry" and they only LOOK underwater.This would allow for more realistic moving AA's, and better scene fx. Plus (I put this idea out before in another thread a while back) There would be room in the very center of the lagoon to have a "underwater restaurant". To make it look like the lagoon is still the same though you would have to cover the entire surface with see thru plexiglass, then put about a foot or so of water on top of that. to enter the restaurant you would have to have a tunnel dug under the subs tracks then go slightly up into the "room" in the center of the lagoon. But you could take advantage of that by making the tunnel entrance to the restaurant like the "mysteries du nautilus" walk thru in DLP. And to make it look like to diners that they are under water, theme the restaurant as an old sunken ship, or even the Nautilus itself, and have windows around the walls that have some small water tanks behind them, and have women dressed as mermaids put on a underwater show for guests... or you could just make it look like they are in water and have them hanging by wires like in the little mermaid show at MGM. And to add some cool ambience at night, build a sheer rock cropping onto the backside of the lagoon, that has 20k, little mermaid, and atlantis movies projected randomly onto the rock out cropping. You could even have some "real" show elements interact with the movie; for instance when Nautilus rams the ship in the movie, have a real water explosion happen in the lagoon.

This way you get 3 "attractions" out of one: you get the subs ride, you get a themed restaurant/dinnershow/walk thru and you get a night time entertainment show with the projected movies and timed effects. This would go a long ways to restoring the kinetic movement and activity in Tomorrowland. And you would get another Blue Bayou themed type restuarant, probably a mostly sea food one.

mousketeer
05-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Actually, mermaids have been done before, many years ago. The CMs ended up with green hair, and there was at least one case on record of sailors on leave jumping in after them.

I was well aware of that.

Tref
05-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
ok as for content, I see no reason why you couldnt put little mermaid, atlantis, and 20k all together as one, by using the context of the original ride ...

This way you get 3 "attractions" out of one: you get the subs ride, you get a themed restaurant/dinnershow/walk thru and you get a night time entertainment show with the projected movies and timed effects. This would go a long ways to restoring the kinetic movement and activity in Tomorrowland. And you would get another Blue Bayou themed type restuarant, probably a mostly sea food one.

Wow! Great ideas, Tigertail. In fact, I like all the ideas so far. I'm no big fan of the film Atlantis, though. Indeed, I thought it was a travesty, though certainly it couldn't hurt to have a bit of an Atlantis type set during the ride.

I.r.

MonorailMan
05-09-2003, 05:22 PM
I know, why not keep the same ride we have, but put little "Finding Nemo" references in. Like characters and stuff, but semi-hidden. :) (Like Stitch On IASWH)

experiment626
05-09-2003, 06:54 PM
I always thought Disney missed a prime opportunity to "revive" the Subs with a Little Mermaid "over lay."

tabacco
05-09-2003, 09:32 PM
I think it needs a big flaming skull that the subs pass through ;)

Pirate Girl
05-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl

Still, having real Mermaids again would be very cool. Personally, that's one of my dream jobs, green hair or not. Although nowadays you can totally prevent the whole green hair thing with the right kind of shampoo or swim caps. They could Do wigs attatched to swim caps saving the CM's hair and then they could have fun colors. You know, blue tail, blue hair; pink tail, pink hair.

Pirate Girl
05-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I know, why not keep the same ride we have, but put little "Finding Nemo" references in. Like characters and stuff, but semi-hidden. :) (Like Stitch On IASWH)

That's a good idea. It wouldn't be as expensive as giving the ride a new theme, but it would still be new and fun!

keschy
05-10-2003, 06:21 PM
What was the original ride like? I just moved here a few years ago so I missed it when it was open before. I've always wondered what it was like.

jerjer2005
05-10-2003, 06:41 PM
The 3 movies in one ride wouldnt work in my opinion becuae there has to be some kind of a way to make the ride flow, you just cant have flownder floating here and then the next second milo is running over him with a 2 ton sub craft! just wouldnt work.

The true fact is that disney is trying to get attractions back into tomorrowland ina fast and cheap way. this means not alot of extensive work will go into the subs. especially with the high costs that will arise to just make the subs usable again after so much time of neglect. + they are bringing the subs back for the 50th aniversary... it really wouldnt be much of a walk down memory lane if everything was different.

and on a last note... disney has a little non-spoken rule that says, why change somthing and spend more money if people are going to ride it or go see it anyway. if they reopened the subs just like they were people would flock to see it due to the memories and such... meaning why spend money when there are scenes already in place... another good example of this rule in effect is fantasmic! there have been countless movies released since the opening of the show (1992) that would be great additions to the show and musical score... but a CM told me that they will not update the show due to the fact that they recieve the packed crouds for the same show that has played for the past 11 years. (just a note- i completely love the show fantasmic and wouldnt care if they didnt change it for 11 more years)
:cool:

lazyboy97O
05-10-2003, 07:38 PM
I don't see any overlay, such as Little Mermiad or FIdning Nemo, coming to the subs. Two reasons 1) Money, just as jerjer2005 said. 2) To be better fitting, the subs would have to be "moved" to Fantasyland. This would destroy the reason for getting more people into Tomorrowland. If I had my way, I would keep the attraction essential the same, but make it more as if you were in a deep sea submercible like Alvin. You could go down into the Marianas Trench, Monterey Bay, and even, for a movie plug, the Titanic. Either way, Tomorrowland should no longer be concerned with the real future, but the old space age future that Walt Disney dreamed of.

Tigertail777
05-10-2003, 09:53 PM
well on the idea I brought up of combining movies into it, I didnt mean in a really obvious obtrusive way. For instance, Atlanatis would mainly just be the sunken architecture, with the designs on it you see in the movie, and MAYBE off in a little cubby hole in the city that you really have to look for, some tiny human figures from the movie, OR the big leviathon guardian thing in the background. And just put the MOVIE city of Atlantis, where the current Atlantis fits into the ride (where the tottering columns are and all of that). Little Mermaid would be the same, just put her and her sisters unobtrusively in the same spot where the mermaid boudier (sp?) is currently. Then if the rest of the ride was 20k with the Nemo spiel from wdw it all fits (Nemo says the crew must be hallucinating if they are seeing mermaids and sea serpents). Then just add a little more 20k atmosphere like the 20k divers in suits, and in the ship graveyard have a "newer" sunken ship: the one the nautilus sinks in the movie.
I also love the idea of the live mermaids with pink hair and such (who's to say what mermaids look like?) I brought up something simular for the restaurant dinnershow for the middle of the lagoon, but it would work just as well to have a surface/underwater "show" ala choreographed swimming style.

mrfantasmic
05-10-2003, 11:15 PM
I always thought of it as having the potential to be like an E-Ticket Atlantis ride.
They would adapt the hydraulic system used on Indy and make it an enhanced-motion sub ride.
There could be an indy type system, except under water with massive bubble explosions and even waterproof pyrotechnics. The premise can be similar to the storyline of Atlantis and follow the excursion to Atlantis, but the sub comes under attack by the Leviathan that kicked the *** of the sub in Atlantis and then the sub is plunged into an underground area (dry?) with ice and stuff. Then the sub could "fly" ala Peter Pan into Atlantis... the big scene of the city. We could "fly" through the hole in the wall and encounter the volcano... then the lava would hit us and we would start to smoke (mounted fog outside the subs) and red lights flashing until...
SPLASH!
Landing in the lagoon (through the waterfall)
Sounds like fun!

Pirate Girl
05-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by keschy
What was the original ride like? I just moved here a few years ago so I missed it when it was open before. I've always wondered what it was like.

It was very cool! You climb down into the sub and sit in front of your very own porthole. Then you get a guided tour of the undersea world. You get to see fish, giant clams, seaweed, even mermaids and a sea serpant! You cruise through the remains of atlantis and see an underwater volcano, you even dive below the polar ice-cap into pure dark and see fish that create their own light. One of Disneylands coolest attractions!

Check it out here:
http://www.yesterland.com/submarine.html

stevemo
05-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
...They would adapt the hydraulic system used on Indy and make it an enhanced-motion sub ride...

I think the cost of hosing the vomit out of the sub after every trip would be a bit too high. However, maybe this could be a new type of "Family" ride concept: Disney's Vomit Comet!

raider
05-12-2003, 01:28 PM
I think these are all wonderful ideas!

But it would be nice to see the subs redone without a tie in to a movie and instead do something new while still focusing on the whole "liquid space" angle....

Dean Higgins
05-12-2003, 01:53 PM
If you're gonna wax nostaligic on underwater Disney... don't forget the "BEAUTIFUL BRINEY SEA" from "BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS".