PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Jazz Band - Opinions/Audition Tips?

watkinz
05-08-2003, 08:20 AM
I hope this message is posted in the correct place. I'm relatively new to these boards.

Recently I was at in NOS and caught the last few minutes of the last set of the jazz band that was playing at a small stage on the patio of the French Market. (Hope that's the correct name of the place. :( )

I was really blown away by the drummer (Being a drummer myself). I decided to pull up a chair and was able to catch another set and the whole band was great!

This performance has raised some questions:

Does anyone else have any opinions about the band I'm referring to? Does anyone know if this band has the same line up for every performance, or is there a rotation of members? Does the same band perform at this location every time, or does Disneyland rotate the bands? Also, doe anyone happen to know how heavily Disney emphasizes sight reading?

Lastly, does anyone have any tips for auditioning or know someone who has auditioned to be a Disneyland Musician? (Any instrument.) I'm going to do my own research as far as auditioning, but I'm curious to hear about any past stories/experiences.

Thank you! (A ton of questions, I know. I'm just a little amped about the though of playing drums at Disneyland.)

Morrigoon
05-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Could be the Side Street Strutters or the Bayou Brass. They have CDs sold at the park.

corrinhorn
05-08-2003, 11:02 AM
first of all, how were they dressed, if the had on bowling shirts and such It would most likely be the Bayou Brass. Otherwise, it could have been the Side Street Strutters or River Rascals.

But on to your other questions. Being a Trombone player myself, not at D-Land but in School and College and such, it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get into the Disneyland Band. I am a pretty good friend of the Manager of the Disneyland Band, Art(you will see him as the director, or if you are lucky, you can hear him in NOS in the Jazz Combo on Trombone), and he is a really nice guy. However as I was saying it is tough to get in, being such a SWEET GIG! You have steady pay, constant work, and no travelling, plus you get to work at Disneyland!!!

They are pretty strict about what you play. I am pretty sure that you would need to do Sight reading and all of those other fun things.

usually the band members stay pretty constant in the smaller bands they are in. unless someone has a day off, or is sick, when they will rotate in other players.

Hopefully these help.

If you ever see Art in the park, just go up and talk to him...he is a really cool guy, and could answer more of your questions then I could.

Good Luck!!!

Morrigoon
05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
corrinhorn: you're not talking about Art Bartner are you? How funny that there should be two Arts leading bands at DL (Art Bartner is the guy who leads the College Band over the summer, and the USC Trojan Marching Band (http://www.usc.edu/dept/band/) the rest of the year)

If you see Art over the summer, say hi to him too, LOL!

watkinz
05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info! :D

The band didn't have bowling shirts, but they had dress shirts, slacks. Probably wasn't Bayou Brass, then.

Anyhow, I appreciate you both taking the time to reply. Looks like I'll wait until my sight reading is up to par before I go audition. I'm confident about my chops, but when it comes to reading, I'm very weak.

I'll keep any eye out for Art. If I am able to talk to him, I'll post again and let you know what transpires from that conversation.

Thanks again!

-watkinz

corrinhorn
05-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
corrinhorn: you're not talking about Art Bartner are you?

NO, nope, this is a different Art...

I personally can't stand Art Bartner...He gets on my nerves, (as well as his band at USC The drumline of the band has been known to give him the finger on several occasions during rehersals ) Maybe he is nicer to guests, but he is a ...how to say, a POOP!

He thinks that his bands are God's gift to the world, and they aren't even that good. If you want good Marching Band, Check out the RCC Marching Tigers (http://www.rccband.org)

But I shall save my Art bashing for another thread...

Good luck!

sgtdilbert
05-08-2003, 03:27 PM
As a former Marching Tiger, all I can tell you is that getting a Disneyland musician gig is incredibly difficult.

I had a friend in high school, who was clearly an amazing musician, playing trumpet. Just to clarify, he's since gone on to play in Vegas regularly for the past 7 years with a variety of the big name show on the strip. He's good, trust me.

He went for the Disneyland audition around about the mid-80's. He was extremely good a sight reading. He said that they placed a sheet of music in front of him that was black. It was black because of the number of notes on the page. He was blown away. He didn't make the cut, and since I've heard that story, I've heald any Disney musician with high regard. They're really amazing.

s.

drjones
05-08-2003, 07:09 PM
oh, i think that was the River Rascals!!! Their drummer kicks !!!!!!!
was he kinda young? I always love them, i love their version of Dr John's Mardi gras Day. stiff funk groove. they are currently working on a CD, it should be releaased soon

Jon Kubis
06-09-2003, 10:42 PM
http://www.riverrascals.com - not much info up there yet, but soon! And yes, the CD is almost done! =)