PDA

View Full Version : When does Small World go down for its makeover?

tlovesdis
05-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

We will be in Disneyland from September 28 - Oct 1 (Sunday - Wednesday) and I was wondering if Small World will still be open? I know HM will be just getting ready to open so I was assuming they would wait to close SW until after that. Does anyone know?

As it is Space, Indy, & HM will be closed when we are there. I am really hoping SW will be open since it is my nieces favorite ride.

Thanks!

Tina, Antioch, CA

marklodi
05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Hello Tina,

Small World actually had a major makeover last year, I believe, consisting of a huge repainting and restoration of the original soundtrack. Sorry - I don't have the specifics, but my understanding is it was a major "makeover" and people have commented here that it looks great!

Now whether they will still schedule an annual "rehab" for touch-up is unknown, but I would guess your chances are pretty good for getting in. Especially with Space Mountain being down for the next 2 years, and the rest of Tomorrowland being a veritable ghost town for attractions right now. I would bet that DL management would be wary of closing any attraction in the park that has a high ride-through volume for very long at all.

My two cents. Others with more inside/onhand knowledge will hopefully chime in to add or correct. :)

Beyond all else, have a great time!

Morrigoon
05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
marklodi: I believe the makeover the OP referred to is the Holiday overlay. It needs to be up by November, so my guess is after Labor Day (some time) till just after Halloween.

JeffG
05-08-2003, 01:20 PM
They have generally gotten to be very efficient at putting up the holiday overlay, so it now only takes about 2-3 weeks. My guess is that the ride will still be operating during the time frame in question.

-Jeff

refurbmike
05-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Usually iasw went down after HMH came up, so I would have faith it'll still be running, if in its last days, during your trip.

Darkbeer
05-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Educated guesses as to the dates of the holiday rehabs...

Haunted Mansion - Closed Tuesday September 2nd, reopens Friday October 3rd

iasw - closed Monday October 6th, reopens Friday November 7th.

mareed
05-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Darkbeer - I hope your educated guess turns out to be correct. I'll be there Sept. 27 - Oct. 4, and I was really wanting to get to see both of these rides. I called Disney and they had absolutely no info to share regarding when these 2 rides would be down.

Darkbeer
05-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Well, we know that the special Merchandising event is Thursday, October 2nd. (They have officially announced that), and that in previous years, the ride always opens to the public the next day.

And we know that they don't like having both rides closed at the same time, so it looks like you will get two ride both.

I am also very comfortable with iaswh opening Friday, November 7th, due to its tie-in with the opening of the Holiday "season".

Now, what might be off is the starting date. Disney maybe thinks that they can get the project done in shorter time frame, but I don't think so. I know that they have to dry out the iasw boats, so that will be a 4 week rehab, either during the switchover, or the switch back.

But I think the chances that these are the dates is over 90%.