PDA

View Full Version : DCA 10-year anniversary

Pages : [1] 2

DJsDaddy
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I know there is nothing 'publicly' planned to commemorate the 10th anniversary of DCA - but has anyone heard - or does anyone have any guesses as to them doing some kind of small ceremony?

TowerofTerror
02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I HOPE THEY DO have some type of ceremony

dznyphreak
02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I know there is nothing 'publicly' planned to commemorate the 10th anniversary of DCA - but has anyone heard - or does anyone have any guesses as to them doing some kind of small ceremony?

With pretty much half the park behind construction walls, where would they have it? It will probably go unnoted like every other anniversary.

rickosuave1987
02-08-2011, 09:15 AM
There was a new blog post!

But thats all I could find about it...

olegc
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
There was a new blog post!

But thats all I could find about it...

and about 5 or 6 tweets...

fredc
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Since I was there 10 years ago today, I decided to visit to see if anything was going on. I got there shortly after opening and everyone I talked to said that nothing was going on. As I visited some of my favorite attractions I began to see 10 year pins on some cast members. I then went to Disnyland and talked to a CM wearing a 10 year pin who said that there was a party going on in Stage 17 at DCA. I returned to DCA and saw many cast members going into stage 17 but was denied entrance as it was only for CMs

Grandpa Louie
02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
The 11th anniversary will be better.

Mansion101
02-08-2011, 08:58 PM
lol yup they had a little party type thing for Cast Members in stage 17. it was fun :) they had costumes from Eureka, Aladdin the musical, and pixar play parade. had meet and greets with lightning and mator, green army men in front of lotso's truck, we got to see up close the world of color puppets and FREE CUPCAKES !!!! yay !

KarenW2
02-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Just as we were there at the beginning and many anniversary days since, we were there on 2-8-11. Very disappointing that they didn't have any special anniversary buttons or cupcakes for the guests, we only saw them for CMs. It would've been nice to have gotten a 10 year button at least, since my hubby took a day off of work to go up there.

I wore my "Grand Opening" day t-shirt to celebrate the birthday and I didn't see anyone else wearing one, surprisingly enough.

We spent a little time in the park, then had dinner at Napa Rose, at the Chef's Counter, to celebrate my hubby's birthday and NR's 10th Anniversary! Even tho we weren't able to get our favorite seats there, we still received the same fine service and attention from Chef Andy and his crew!

Karin
02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
We were there yesterday, too, and also saw no acknowledgement of the birthday other than the rectangular buttons the CMs were wearing. We were disappointed, as well.

zombie pirate
02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I want to start a "Bring Back The Parking Lot" campaign, just like The People Mover.

danyoung
02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm guessing that the history of DCA is something of an embarrassment to the Disney company, and any public celebration of the 10 year anniversary would have to include a look back at the lame park that they opened in 2001. So I'm not surprised that they just let it go by uncelebrated.

Toocherie
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I want to start a "Bring Back The Parking Lot" campaign, just like The People Mover.

Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh! I miss the parking lot!

Bytebear
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I like the parking garage. And I like Soarin', Screamin', Tower of Terror, GRR, and a lot of other rides in DCA. I would hate to see them go just so I could park a little closer to the entrance.

Toocherie
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I like the parking garage. And I like Soarin', Screamin', Tower of Terror, GRR, and a lot of other rides in DCA. I would hate to see them go just so I could park a little closer to the entrance.

That isn't why I miss the parking lot. I miss the ORIGINAL parking lot which is a memory of my childhood. Before DCA. When life was simpler and Disneyland wasn't as crowded as it is now and we could pull up and park right in front of the gates/ticket booths (the old ones) because we weren't concerned then about things like people with cars full of explosives.

Toocherie
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh and just to clarify--I like a lot of things at DCA too (well, not Tower of Terror or Screamin'--I'm a wimp!)

But I do miss the "old" Disneyland.

danyoung
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh! I miss the parking lot!

Another point of agreement between you & me, Tooch! Of course I don't prefer the parking lot to what's there now. But I did enjoy that big lot, hopping the tram and riding up to the front gate, running up to the ticket booths to see what attractions were closed that day (Pirates AND HM down on the same day? BUMMER!!!!). Good memories.

SigalTchelet
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
That isn't why I miss the parking lot. I miss the ORIGINAL parking lot which is a memory of my childhood. Before DCA. When life was simpler and Disneyland wasn't as crowded as it is now and we could pull up and park right in front of the gates/ticket booths (the old ones) because we weren't concerned then about things like people with cars full of explosives.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!! When I was there last week, I saw a display of the old ticket books too . The E ride tickets... It's nice to reminisce!

zombie pirate
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM

I remember comming up from San Diego and they actually had orange trees in orange county. One of the best things about the old parking lot was that you could look for your vehicle from the Monorail. I think if they just put more rides into DCA it would be better, Im all about the rides when I go to Disneyland. DCA is fun for about 1/2 a day, but Disneyland is fun all day.

lauramaynot
02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
It would have been nice to at least acknowledge the anniversary, even if it was just a special insert to the park map for the day. A sticker would have been cool, but with the problems they had with the space mountain ones a couple of years ago I am not going to hold my breath for any more stickers :(

Grandpa Louie
02-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Don't worry, Disney is not going to raze California Adventure to satisfy the whiners on this board who get misty-eyed over the old parking lot, just the same for, wait for it, the Skyway isn't coming back either.

A reasonable argument can be made that the original Disney's California Adventure was a Micheal Eisner phone-it-in compromise. But now Disney's spending the money to make it better. To me that counts more than some 10-year anniversary trinket.

aidensdaddy
02-11-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm guessing that the history of DCA is something of an embarrassment to the Disney company, and any public celebration of the 10 year anniversary would have to include a look back at the lame park that they opened in 2001. So I'm not surprised that they just let it go by uncelebrated.

Well, the park has been mocked once or twice, at least, on The Simpsons.

danyoung
02-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Don't worry, Disney is not going to raze California Adventure to satisfy the whiners on this board who get misty-eyed over the old parking lot...

Hey, wait a freakin' minute here, GL. No one is whining for anything, nor is anyone requesting that Disney raze DCA in favor of the parking lot. There's a big difference between expressing nostalgia over something long gone and whining about it.

zombie pirate
02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey, wait a freakin' minute here, GL. No one is whining for anything, nor is anyone requesting that Disney raze DCA in favor of the parking lot. There's a big difference between expressing nostalgia over something long gone and whining about it.

Im requesting that they raise DCA to bring back my beloved parking lot !!! and I want an extension of the People Mover out to the parking lot, and mind you again that they extend the skyway out there as well so I can spot my car parked out there, And I want the parking lot attendants to dress as characters when they collect my high priced parking fee. I allso want them to bring back the ticket book days, I still have a few E-Tickets I havent used.:cool: Maybe open up another Adventures Thru Inner Space in one corner would be the icing on the parking lot cake.

Grandpa Louie
02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Im requesting that they raise DCA to bring back my beloved parking lot !!! and I want an extension of the People Mover out to the parking lot, and mind you again that they extend the skyway out there as well so I can spot my car parked out there, And I want the parking lot attendants to dress as characters when they collect my high priced parking fee. I allso want them to bring back the ticket book days, I still have a few E-Tickets I havent used.:cool: Maybe open up another Adventures Thru Inner Space in one corner would be the icing on the parking lot cake.

Quod erat demonstratum.