PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on staying at the Grand Californian

mikala
05-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone. I am wondering what your opinions are on staying at the Grand Californian. We ALWAYS stay at Crowne Plaza or Disneyland Hotel. My husband is anxious to stay at GC, and next week we will. Unbelievably enough, our rate is $79 a night. It is a travel agent promotion, and I have a travel business.

If we had one day where we were just wanted to tour the hotel (been there before), hang out at the pool, etc. what would be your honest opinions about what to do for that day.

We have never been to any of the restaurants on the property. Thanks for all your opinions.
:)

Not Afraid
05-07-2003, 06:35 PM
BIG Breakfast at Storytellers
Dinner at Napa Rose
Drinks at the Hearthstone Lounge
Reading a good book in the lobby, the 5th floor outside deck, or the 2nd floor lounge
Relaz by the pool, or sit in the jacuzi
Take a guided tour of the hotel
Walk through on your own and admire the artwork, pottery, etc.
Buy a book on the Arts and Crafts Movement at the Acorn Gift Shop
Take a walk on the grounds, admire the stained glass entrance doors and the gardens
Sit by the fire and listen to the storyteller
Take me with you;)

teri
05-07-2003, 06:48 PM
$79 is an excellent price. The GC is very nice.

I would add, the Whitewater Cafe has terrific burgers and very nice, quick breakfast options (as compared to Storytellers) and is a good place to eat when other places are packed.

There are some lovely things at that gift shop!

MegaDuck
05-07-2003, 08:26 PM
$79 is a great rate. Normally the rates at GC are much much higher (as you probably know). But for $79, how can you go wrong?

Its like the time I walked up to the counter at the Venetian @ Vegas and got a room for $99. How many times does this happen in a lifetime! Enjoy your stay!!

jrad32
05-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Actually you'd be surprised at how cheap you can get rooms in LV.

$79 is sweet for the GC though.

justagrrl
05-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by jrad32
Actually you'd be surprised at how cheap you can get rooms in LV.

Tell me how please :)

scaeagles
05-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Well golly, I feel a bit ripped off. I just expanded our family vacation at the end of July/early August from 4 to 5 nights at the GC, and I would be embarrassed to say how much I paid for the extra night!

I know all about the travel sites like hotwire and priceline, but I am nervous about taking a stab in the dark when going places like LV. I would also love to know your secrets, Jrad.

jrad32
05-08-2003, 08:00 AM
It's not really any big secret in LV. If you can go Sun-Thurs you will see rates that are very low. I've seen anything from $29.99 to 79.99 a night at places ranging from the Sahara to the Stardust, Tropicana and Excalibur.

The other thing is not to come on a big weekend if you have to come on a weekend. Avoid big holiday weekends, big boxing weekends and huge conventions like MAGIC and CES.

only1mouse
05-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Wow!! I thought we got a good price $159/night but $79 is amazing. This will be my first stay at a Disney hotel and I am looking forward to staying at the GC.

carsoni
05-09-2003, 08:43 PM
How did you get $159/night? I know I can't get the $79 of the original poster, because i don't own a travel bus. but I'd still even go for the $159 (since it's about $110 less than any quote I've ever heard).

Thanks for the info.

tjrj
05-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Carsoni,

Check expedia.com for the rate. I've seen it there several times-although never been able to use unfortunately. Also, check Mary's site-mousesavers.com, she has rate specials listed.

miss bianca
05-10-2003, 09:26 AM
You can also get the $159 a night rate by getting an Annual Pass. Sometimes its worth it for just 1 member in your party to get an AP so you can save HUGE $$ on the hotel and 10%-15% discounts at restaurants/shops around the park! With our AP we've stayed at the Grand for $159 (downtown disney view) and at Paradise Pier Hotel for $79 (upper level DCA view)

carsoni
05-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Check Expedia rate for this coming weekend 15-18th of May and got "this property can only be booked for 5 nights or more" HA. You've got to be kidding. I also checked the AP rate, and you're right, looks like you could potentially get a room for $159/night. Not sure though, if you can get it anytime or if there are blackout dates, limited rooms available for each night etc.

miss bianca
05-11-2003, 08:51 AM
also checked the AP rate, and you're right, looks like you could potentially get a room for $159/night. Not sure though, if you can get it anytime or if there are blackout dates, limited rooms available for each night etc.

From my experience:
The AP rate is $159 Sun-Thurs / $179 Fri-Sat.
It becomes available about 2 months in advance.
It is limited BUT if you are not going during the PEAK season rooms are readily available.

only1mouse
05-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Carsoni:

We got the $159 with our Annual Passports. We are going Sun - Fri and were shocked to get the rate. We called several times before it actually became available.

miss bianca
05-11-2003, 02:17 PM
only1mouse - what are your dates?

only1mouse
05-11-2003, 07:03 PM
miss bianca:

We are going June 15 - June 20.

MacBaby
05-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Do you have to call the hotel directly to get the AP rate or can you book on line?

only1mouse
05-12-2003, 07:11 AM
I don't think you can book just the hotel only online. At least I've never been able too.

miss bianca
05-12-2003, 04:29 PM
You do have to call directly to book a room with the AP discount. The # is (714) 956-6425 to reach the Disneyland Resort Reservations line. Ask for rate plan APD - if is not available for your dates - KEEP CHECKING BACK! I cannot stress that enough. It seems like they release new dates and additional rooms every week.