PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn Climbers

Pages : [1] 2

Mansion101
01-31-2011, 11:09 PM
how come people dont climb the matterhorn anymore ? i miss seeing them climb up and down. they also use to have mickey climb the mountain.

i feel like some of the little things that use to make disney a bit more magical.

ex. random meet and greets, mt climbers, real shows and entertainment, special themed events open to the public.

gibson510
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I thought they only did that in the summer. I dont know, I could be wrong.

I think the park still has some good entertainment to offer. Some of it has changed, and we can all argure for better or worse, but it's still around.

Mansion101
02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
wel lets see.

-No more shows at Fantasyland Theater
-No more Tianas Show Boat Jubilee
-No more Character Mountain Climbing
-No more Night Time Parades
-No more Trash can Trio

i know im forgetting some more lol.

there are still Characters that roam around but not as often as they should be.

Mansion101
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
ooo i cant believe i forgot... the FESTIVAL of FOOLS !!!

Malcon10t
02-02-2011, 05:13 AM
-No more Trash can TrioWe just saw them a few weeks ago.

Mansion101
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
We just saw them a few weeks ago.

really ? i have yet to get to see them

Malcon10t
02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, the "Trash Can Trio" is still around. I enjoyed them several times during our last trip.

You also listed "no more night time parades"... Where did you get this? During the Christmas season, there were 2 parades on weekends and peak days. I can't remember the actual parade times, but one was an afternoon parade, the 2nd parade was an evening (I believe 630pm) parade. With fireworks at 840p, you really couldn't go much later than 630 (which really doesn't end til close to 720pm) and still have everything set for fireworks.

Currently, per the norm for this time of year, there is no parade. The parades will start back up during Spring break.

Fantasyland Theater is currently host to the Princess Fantasy Faire, which may not be a show you enjoy, but the lines are long enough and there is enough money being made, that it is considered very successful.

Tiana's Showboat Jubilee was done primarily to promote the movie, The Princess and the Frog. It was a temporary item, and now they are working on promoting Tangled. TSJ was never meant to be a lasting show, like Fantasmic! or World of Color.

While you are lamenting the disappearance of a couple of minor items, we should also consider the addition of shows like World of Color, Electronica, Flynn's, etc...

ETA - I do want to say I miss the climbers also, and do wish they would bring them back. But not everything on your list is truly missing.

grumpiestfan
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I love the trash can trio. Haven't seen them in a long time :crying:

rickosuave1987
02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
really ? i have yet to get to see them

I saw them right by Buzz a week or so before Christmas.

And last week the same guys were dressed at Green Army Men playing in DCA by the pier.

Malcon10t
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
random meet and greetsYou mean like meeting Peter Pan in the Fantasyland area? Mad Hatter and Alice playing Musical Chairs? Mary Poppins and Bert on the Carousel? Goofy riding the train with you?

real shows and entertainment, Like Billy Hill? The Royal Street Bachelors? Dapper Dans? Miner 49ers? Trash Can Guys? Firehouse Five?

special themed events open to the public.Such as Raindeer Roundup during Christmas? Halloween Roundup during Halloween? Character Fan Days?

potzbie
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
You cannot compare high season with low season.
You cannot compare Summer & Christmas with post-summer and post-Christmas.

Just as you cannot compare week-end entertainment with week day entertainment.

The quantity is like half when you go DL in off-season (or the quantity is double, to look at it from the point of high-season).

Mansion101
02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
When i say night time parades... i meant things like.
-Electrical Parade
-Spectromagic
-Light Magic

Arnt the attractions promoting the movies and their characters ?

im not talking about little 5 min side shows...
TSJ was a great show that ran what? 10-15min ?... since we dont have a stage in front of the castle for a show. TSJ was nice.

ogold72
02-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Who are the Trash Can Trio? What do they do? I take it that their performances are Ad Hoc?

Malcon10t
02-03-2011, 06:06 AM
-Electrical Parade
-Spectromagic
-Light Magic

Arnt the attractions promoting the movies and their characters ?

im not talking about little 5 min side shows...
TSJ was a great show that ran what? 10-15min ?... since we dont have a stage in front of the castle for a show. TSJ was nice.You really are stretching things then. None of the shows I listed except Dapper Dans play less than 15 mins. Several are 20-25 min shows. And I forgot Laughing Stock. I'm sorry you've never stayed to see an entire show. I'm sorry you don't enjoy the park any more. There does come a time when the park loses its magic for some people, I'm sorry its gone for you.

OG - Trash Can Guys are a group of guys that look like the sweepers until they group up to perform. They can generally be found in the afternoon in Tomorrowland somewhere between Space Mountain and Buzz. They sort of set up where they aren't blocking traffic flow since a lot of people gather. Here is a youtube of them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkeXGjCCDE).

grumpiestfan
02-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Who are the Trash Can Trio? What do they do? I take it that their performances are Ad Hoc?

The trash can trio are 3 guys that are dressed as custodial pushing 3 metal trash cans. All of a sudden they yell out "Break Time" and start playing the metal trash cans as drums. Similar to Stomp. It lasts 5-10 minutes then they yell out "Back to Work" and disappear backstage. Very enjoyable. They were usually in Tomorrowland

Donald Duck Fan68
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
-Electrical Parade
-Spectromagic
-Light Magic

The Electrical Parade is currently stationed at WDW, and Spectromagic is on hiatus there as a result. (Spectromagic has never appeared at Disneyland that I'm aware of.) The Main Street Electrical Parade was supposed to retire "forever" in 1996, with actual lightbulbs from the show sold to collectors and in 1997, Light Magic was supposed to be the replacement. Light Magic didn't have very good reviews, and was dubbed Light Tragic. MSEP was resurrected and placed in DCA renamed Disney's Electrical Parade and ran there usually during peak times up until April of 2010, when it made its way to Disney World.

I think the moral of the story from the business side of things is: it's very difficult to replace a popular night-time parade such as the Electrical Parade. Disneyland tried unsuccessfully with Light Magic, and they may be cautious about attempting something similar again. Furthermore, a successful nighttime parade doesn't just "happen"; it takes quite a bit of time to plan, engineer, build, choreograph, rehearse, time the special effects, etc. Who knows, there may be some preliminary ideas floating around, but they likely won't be able to really focus on anything until after 2012 when DCA 2.0 is finished.

Nevertheless, the Disneyland Resort IS offering unique nighttime entertainment that may not be a parade, but still draws a crowd such as ElecTRONica and World of Color.

houseofmouse
02-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I am hoping they bring back Glowfest this summer! It was a great nighttime thing to do!

The new parade is coming to DL this summer too!!

Iceman
02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I am hoping they bring back Glowfest this summer! It was a great nighttime thing to do!

I certainly hope they maintain some kind of nighttime dancing and drinking place a la GlowFest and ElecTRONica. Since it's too much for me to hope that they could add a Pleasure Island to the DLR (especially since they short-sightedly removed it from WDW), I have at least been getting enjoyment from these in-park experiences. And, judging by the crowds and rumors online of profits, Disney HAS TO recognize that there is a huge need for safe, clean, fun nighttime entertainment!

tylerbo20
02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
even the cool star they put on top of the matterhorn doesnt come up anymore for christmas season...oh well..and the live mermaids who swam in the lagoon...bring them back

Mansion101
02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
even the cool star they put on top of the matterhorn doesnt come up anymore for christmas season...oh well..and the live mermaids who swam in the lagoon...bring them back

see i love the things like that

danyoung
02-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Spectromagic has never appeared at Disneyland that I'm aware of.

They way I understand it, the Spectromagic floats are just too big to fit into the parade route in DL.

MadasaHatter
02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
The Trash Can Trio are really cool and it has been a long time since I have seen them. Love them.

I agree with the poster that a show in FANTASYLAND THEATRE would be cool. And ALL the characters used to only walk about even with handlers. I wish they would go back to that too instead of having all of those meet and greets. Mickey is fine to keep in his barn and MINNIE MOUSE too. Actually now as I am typing this I think that would be a great place to have the only stationed Meet and Greets! Then it could be air conditioned for them and the rest could walk about. The Princesses could hang out in their designated areas and the theatre could be up and running again or a NEW ATTRACTION. Oh, I am so clever.....and a bit mad....

SigalTchelet
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
The Trash Can Trio are really cool and it has been a long time since I have seen them. Love them.

I agree with the poster that a show in FANTASYLAND THEATRE would be cool. And ALL the characters used to only walk about even with handlers. I wish they would go back to that too instead of having all of those meet and greets. Mickey is fine to keep in his barn and MINNIE MOUSE too. Actually now as I am typing this I think that would be a great place to have the only stationed Meet and Greets! Then it could be air conditioned for them and the rest could walk about. The Princesses could hang out in their designated areas and the theatre could be up and running again or a NEW ATTRACTION. Oh, I am so clever.....and a bit mad....

I thought of you the other day when I met the Mad Hatter and Alice at Minnie and Friends breakfast.

Mansion101
02-11-2011, 06:05 AM

i like the way u think hatter :)

MadasaHatter
02-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I thought of you the other day when I met the Mad Hatter and Alice at Minnie and Friends breakfast.

I do a mean Mad Hatter imitation! Thank you ST!!! They are really good. Does it bother you that there is no March Hare? It really bothers me. I always thought of them as a DUO. I think the March Hare should carry a tea pot with the Door Mouse in it! Of course I am mad. I swear that I saw a March Hare from way back in the 70s ( a picture only) But I could have made that up and OH DEAR...I have highjacked a thread. Ah well....I am mad!