PDA

View Full Version : Countdown on CA Screamin

Pages : [1] 2

HBTiggerFan
05-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Zapppop, Blueeeyore and I noticed this on Friday. They are counting down to the launch and its HORRIBLE! Its that same horrid voice thats doing the Welcome to the Maliboomer!!!!!! :shudder:

Has anyone else heard this?

MonorailMan
05-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Ah, crap!

I always knew it was 5 sec from the air blow, but now they have that funky dude doing it!?

What ever happend to Corey Burton? At least his voice is plesant. (Example of CB's work: The autopia "Prepare To Stop" message.)

May I Scream? :eek: :eek:

TP2000
05-06-2003, 11:53 PM
I heard it this weekend and I kinda liked it. It's the stereotypical surfer getting you ready to launch.

I thought it was a bit of an improvement to the experience, rather than just rolling along under that ugly freeway-onramp cement bridge they have over the track there.

Ever notice how ugly some of the pylons and cement supports are in Paradise Pier? No attempt at themeing whatsoever. They could have at least applied some fake barnacles or something on the industrial pre-fab poles along the water line. It is supposed to be the ocean after all, right?

Since the track and surrounding area of Screamin' is relatively unthemed, with lots of cement poles and aluminum siding and metal railings, I thought the countdown voice added a bit to the otherwise unthemed environment of Screamin'.

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Ugh.

I'd rather not have the countdown. I think it's far more fun to be waiting in suspense, never knowing exactly when you're going to take off. :D

Gemini Cricket
05-07-2003, 08:32 AM
I think the countdown is a good idea. It can be pretty nervewracking for little kids. When I first went to DCA, there were some terrified kids waiting for the launch. I felt bad for them. I applaud the countdown idea.

:)

It's also a good idea for this little nervewracked kid... :eek:

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Hmm... of course some would argue that California Screamin is a roller coaster and not necessarily a good idea for terrified kids in the first place..;)

tabacco
05-07-2003, 09:33 AM
It's not much of a change, really. I mean, there's always been a semi-permanent crowd of people on the walkway that feel the need to count down *every* launch.

Tref
05-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Toady The Eighth
Hmm... of course some would argue that California Screamin is a roller coaster and not necessarily a good idea for terrified kids in the first place..;)

Exactly.

And I applaud the dissing of said countdown.

I.r.

Gemini Cricket
05-07-2003, 09:56 AM
This is true. However, if they meet the height requirement and are starved for something to ride, CS fits the bill for some kids and is okay by some parents...

I was amazed at the number of kids riding it, but if there's one things kids like to be is grown up and do the things grown ups do...

Who knows.

Laffite
05-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Umm... get Paul Frees to do it.

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
This is true. However, if they meet the height requirement and are starved for something to ride, CS fits the bill for some kids and is okay by some parents...

I was amazed at the number of kids riding it, but if there's one things kids like to be is grown up and do the things grown ups do...

Who knows.

Agreed. I just don't want them to make it "less scary" For me, the launch at the beginning is the best part.

Gemini Cricket
05-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Agreed. I just don't want them to make it "less scary" For me, the launch at the beginning is the best part.
Riding that wave of adrenaline, I get what you mean.

I guess when you're neurotic, like me, it can be stressful. :D

HBTiggerFan
05-07-2003, 10:06 AM
The voice doing it is HORRIBLE! I do not like the new countdown, and on top of it the recording is off, so it was counting down twice sometimes and launching on the "3" of the second countdown :rolleyes: The suspence of the launch was one of the best parts. The countdown totally distracts from the experience :( I wish they would do away with it!

Tref
05-07-2003, 10:16 AM
I would bet the proverbial farm that it was added for safety reasons. I had more fun standing near the railing and watching the surprised looks on the faces of the riders during that first initial jolt, then I did on the ride itself.

Incidentally, due to poor economic times, my family has been forced to sell the proverbial farm, in which for years, my family sustained itself by picking and canning proverbs. If anybody is interested please contact me at said railing near said ride.

I.r.

Sheila
05-07-2003, 11:41 AM
There is a very good countdown to the launch for Rock 'N' Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM in Florida. Since the launches for both rides are similar, I think it could work. For those who have not experienced RnR, I'll describe the actual launch in spoiler tags:

As you wait to be launched, a giant screen in front of you flashes the numbers from 3 down to 1 while through the loudspeakers come the screams of thousands of fans at the Aerosmith concert you're supposed to be speeding to in your limo. When the countdown reaches "blast off", you are launched at high speed. The countdown really creates anticipation for the actual "lift-off"! It's my favorite part of the ride.

Sheila

tod
05-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Umm... get Paul Frees to do it.

Somebody tell him....

;)

--T

Sonya in Boise
05-07-2003, 12:13 PM
I loved the way it took off unexpected. On my first ride I had no idea. When it stopped I looked at my husband and he shrugged his shoulders. I thought they were having problems, then whoosh off we went. It was great. After wards we watched from the rail and when it stopped a woman looked questionly to her seat partner, shrugged her shoulders and picked up her purse and started looking for her lipstick. She found it and started putting some on when the ride took off. Wish I could have seen her at the end of the ride. :D

I also wonder if it was for safety reasons.

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 12:15 PM
My guess would be its for safety reasons as well. Anyone ever been on X-Cellerator at Knott's? They do the same kind of thing, they're really careful (keep your head on the headrest, etc)

I love to stand on the bridge and watch unsuspecting people take off... They're talking to each other, giggling, and then Whoosh! They're off! And they're SHOCKED!

It's more fun that way! :D

scaeagles
05-07-2003, 12:22 PM
I guess I don't understand the need for the "surprise". You know it's coming, so who cares if you know the second? I skydive, and it's a rush when I jump out of the plane every time. Maybe I could try it blindfolded and have someone push me when I'm not ready......

I think it will be great when I take my 9 year old daughter this summer.....she said she thought the ride was great except wouldn't do it again because the surprise shocked her too much. Knowing when it will happen will actually increase her enjoyment, and I don't really see why it shold spoil it for anyone else.

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles
I guess I don't understand the need for the "surprise". You know it's coming, so who cares if you know the second? I skydive, and it's a rush when I jump out of the plane every time. Maybe I could try it blindfolded and have someone push me when I'm not ready......

I think it will be great when I take my 9 year old daughter this summer.....she said she thought the ride was great except wouldn't do it again because the surprise shocked her too much. Knowing when it will happen will actually increase her enjoyment, and I don't really see why it shold spoil it for anyone else.

Not knowing the exact second makes it more suspensful and fun. It's like Supreme Scream at Knott's. You don't know quite when it's going to drop you, and thats the scariest part.

Tref
05-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles

Yes, yes, I would recommend skydiving blindfolded.

As far as knowing when the "surprise" is coming, lets use horror films as an example. The best scares are always the ones that take us by surprise, even when we know what we are in for, right? Think of the famous underwater jolt in the film, Jaws; when Ben Gardners head suddenly appears from the gaping hole in the boat. We knew in advance something frightening was bound to occur because that is the nature of a thriller movie. But Spielberg let it arrive without the typical anticipating build-up music and certainly w/out resorting to flashing a visual countdown on the screen. That is why that particular scene was so successful --

So, too, isn't that why so many of us love Space Mtn? The whole idea of not knowing exactly what is going to happen next is part of the thrill.

Here is how I imagine a typical complaint about the ride,"Look, I want to scared, but not really scared, just scared, but if I don't know when the scare is going to occure, I'll be scared and that's not what I want -- I just want to be scared."

I.r.

Ace
05-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Tref
So, too, isn't that why so many of us love Space Mtn? The whole idea of not knowing exactly what is going to happen next is part of the thrill.

...you confuse us with normal people. We all know what's going to happen next.

hazlnut
05-07-2003, 03:41 PM
This is interesting, the thing my son doesn't like about screamin' it the launch. Everything else he loves. But the launch freaks him out.

I'll tell him about the change.

Tref
05-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ace
...you confuse us with normal people. We all know what's going to happen next.

Ahh, this is true, isn't it? Sorry, I forgot myself ...

I.r.

DL4EVER
05-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Well I have yet to ride this ride, but from what I have heard, those who are not expecting the launch may have their head off the head rest and I have heard those headrests are rather hard. I would hate to have my head thrown back into what is supposed to be hard head rests. This is just my guess, but I'm gonna go on it in December.