PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian - WiFi/Data/Web Access?

Pat-n-Eil
05-06-2003, 01:26 PM
I will be visiting the Grand Californian in November. Unfortunately, when I'm on vacation I still have to keep an eye on my business. Normally I do this with my laptop and the data port on the phone in the room - and use some local POP for dial-up access.

Does the Grand Californian offer any type of internet access for business travelers? Network connection? WiFi? Computers with Web Access to rent?

Or should I be prepared to dial up from my room?

Thanks..

refurbmike
05-06-2003, 01:51 PM
I would just go to Innoventions. ;)

Disney Nick
05-06-2003, 01:56 PM
You know I've been looking for a good place (anywhere really in Anaheim) where I can hook up my laptop via a high speed connection for free/cheap. If anyone can help with that as well it'd be appreciated.

sgtdilbert
05-06-2003, 02:09 PM
I just blew Coke out my nose. Goto Innovations! Ha! You made my day! :)

Pat-n-Eil
05-06-2003, 03:01 PM
I like the thinking! Innoventions might work since I can get to most of what I need via the web.. but I can't have people looking over my shoulder :)

Some hotels offer network access and office friendly areas.. perhaps I'll just call them and find out.

Andrew
05-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Pat&Eil
I like the thinking! Innoventions might work since I can get to most of what I need via the web.. but I can't have people looking over my shoulder :)

Bear in mind that all Innoventions Web access (including Web mail) goes through Disney's proxy. If you're accessing your company mail system this way (assuming it works at all), it might be a violation of your company's information security policy.

All three resort hotels have "business centers", where you can plug in to their high-speed connection--for a fee, of course. My favorite local hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn (on Harbor, a bit south of the Resort) offers this for free and even has free high speed data ports in every room.

shila
05-06-2003, 03:17 PM
yeah, I don't reccomend Innoventions either.. I couldn't even check my email on yahoo.com so I doubt you'd get much done there.

refurbmike
05-06-2003, 03:37 PM
OT: I heard of some Disney web-masters that would walk around Innoventions and leave the web browsers open on their site.

Nice way to promo your company/web-site?

:D

LilSimba
05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
I can tell you that Disneyland has a WiFi network in place (You can see a bad-show wireless bridge and antenna in the hat shop on Main Street without much effort), but I'd be willing to bet that it's not open to general websurfers on Main Street USA.

Pat-n-Eil
05-07-2003, 12:31 PM
I called the Grand Californian Hotel and they checked for me. They have a business center in the Hotel. In the Business Center there is DSL.

If you want to hook up it is $7 per 1/2 hour if you use one of their computers, but it is free if you use your own. Since I'm bringing my laptop, that should qualify as free.

BTW.. My company is my company so I can make the rules as I go, but the Innoventions idea isn't really the solution I was working toward :)

Thanks..:)

Rustin
05-07-2003, 03:19 PM
I know its a bit out of the way. but I was down this last weekend and hooked up for free and the Aneheim public library.

It's about a 5 min drive down Harbor... but it was nice, and the guy at the desk was very helpful when I realized I left my CAT5 cable home.

rustin