PDA

View Full Version : when will they update the Haunted Mansion?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mansion101
01-27-2011, 06:54 PM
I was wondering when or if they were planning on updating the special effects in the haunted mansion.

Toocherie
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM
What is it you are wanting them to do?

olegc
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
everyone and his/her mother who is a mansion fan has been waiting for that darn Hat Box Ghost. Who knows when it will get here. It was rumored for last late summer - and a large thread was generated as to whether they would really do it just before the shutdown for HMH. Then there was speculation when it came back.

My guess would be when it goes down the major refurb on that four year cycle (similar to what splash is in now). they you may see some differences. However, they have been adding subtle changes every couple of years - the attic especially, the floating leota, some of the ballroom items have been tweaked to be better seen, etc.

I have the same question for the OP though - what is it that you'd expect as a new "effect"?

Mansion101
01-27-2011, 07:24 PM
I have the same question for the OP though - what is it that you'd expect as a new "effect"?[/QUOTE]

i dont know lol. i dont like the little pop up ghosts or what ever they are in the grave yard...maybe add a smoke gun effect like indiana/mystic manor does. what i really want is that jumpy suspense feeling... dont make it a horror ride but, it would be nice to surprise or spook people

AnotherJenny
01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe they will update it after Guillermo del Toro makes his Haunted Mansion movie. I'll probably soil myself if that's the case, but maybe...

Tinker44
01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm in the minority, I expect... but I really detest the Haunted Mansion Holiday. I wish they would just leave it alone as the magnificent classic it is for the other 9 months of the year. Unfortunately, our family is only ever able to get away in late fall... so I guess I am doomed to perpetual HMH :(

trypticon
01-28-2011, 06:12 AM
You're not alone in your dislike of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay. I had the misfortune of being in the park during Halloween Time late last year, and decided to go see the Haunted Mansion holiday overlay for the first time.

It will also be the last time, because the ride suddenly ranked near the top of my list for most stupid things I'd ever experienced.

I'm not that way with all of the changes that were done to the park during the Haloween season. I really enjoyed all the pumpkin decorations, and marveled at how well done some of them were. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy didn't end up being what I expected, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I just didn't enjoy the holiday version of Haunted Mansion, and I think a lot of that may have to do with the film it was themed after.

In fact, a lot of the things I found pointless in the park that season were based after The Nightmare Before Christmas. Surely Disney has other Halloween or spooky things they can theme things after during that specific holiday. It was as if a joint decision was made to base things solely after that one film, because it was overused to the point of becoming absurd, and I am a fan of the movie. Being a fan, however, may have been the reason I was bored to death (ha ha) with it being spammed everywhere in the park. Perhaps it was a sense of having been there, and done that for far too many years, and I was interested in seeing more from my favorite place in the world.

I'm not sure why the Haunted Mansion needs much in terms of updates. It is a classic in its own right. But perhaps I'm more interested in updates if they are handled well. In the case of the ghost bride, and the semblance of a storyline they gave her, I am very happy. On the flip side, I feel as if Disney has killed Pirates of the Caribbean with the updates done there, particularly that eye-rolling point at the end that finds Davy jones threatening to kill you if you go on the ride again.

Susie63
01-28-2011, 07:38 AM
What is the hat box ghost?

aznewsboy
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm in the minority, I expect... but I really detest the Haunted Mansion Holiday. I wish they would just leave it alone as the magnificent classic it is for the other 9 months of the year. Unfortunately, our family is only ever able to get away in late fall... so I guess I am doomed to perpetual HMH :(

I agree. We usually always went in the Fall and skipped HM because of the overlay. Now with the overlay to SM we will never go at that time again. We now have to skip a year so we can see how we like Jan or Feb. I know I'm in the minority too:)

olegc
01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
What is the hat box ghost?

there are plenty of references on the web, and doombuggies.com has a great story on it, but basically it was an AA figure they tried to install in the first year of the mansion - at each heartbeat of the bride (also no longer in the Mansion attic) the Ghost's head would move from his neck, to the hatbox he was carrying. They could never get the effect right - so they removed it. Last year (or two years ago) Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily created a full size replica of the AA. Very creepy!

Rufus T Firefly
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I always have thought that a cool way to plus the Mansion would be to have the heads of the gargoyles in the stretching room move ever so slightly as if they are looking over everyone in the room. :eek:

Grandpa Louie
01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
The Haunted Mansion is just fine both ways during the year.

Lilo143stitch
01-30-2011, 12:30 PM
not a huge fan of HMH either... i guess it's ok for Christmas but they should leave it as is for halloween... As for updates i think it is awesome as is. Classic.

cookie7762
01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
not a huge fan of HMH either... i guess it's ok for Christmas but they should leave it as is for halloween... As for updates i think it is awesome as is. Classic.

I agree. It seems so out of place at Halloween time. It is completely Christmas themed. The original version is far more suited to Halloween IMHO.

MagicMouseGirl
01-30-2011, 07:42 PM
You have to enjoy the HMH overlay as a separate, unrelated attraction to the classic HM.
As for "updating" the Haunted Mansion... Blasphemy, I say!!!

missm
01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Agreed! We go during Christmas and I usually go once to see if maybe it will have grown on me and it never has. I love the original HM and don't want to see any changes in it. It reminds me of my childhood.

DwarfPlanet
01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Well this thread confuses me for they have updated HM over the years.

Rufus T Firefly
01-31-2011, 01:47 PM

Correct.

Wombat66
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe the next update will be to finally remove that plank!

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=161695

CariBelle
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Yup. It seems to be one of the only rides that get constant "little" upgrades.

olegc
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Yup. It seems to be one of the only rides that get constant "little" upgrades.

I think the OP referenced the pop-up ghosts behind the headstones as an example of needing "upgrades" and yet I don't necessarily ride the HM to be scared and surprised as much as do to get entertained. Remember - this is the spooky fun portion of the attraction (Mark Davis) instead of the creepy side of things in the beginning of the attraction (Claud Coates). I agree that little upgrades are at times better than major ones (and I consider the attic changes and the story line shift to be a major change). as far as technology I would think that changing the pneumatic portions of the attraction would be a big budget item and one that I think is a back burner idea for now compared with everything else going on at the Resort.

gibson510
02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm not a fan of the HMH. And the rest of my family doesn't care much for it either, even the kids dont like it.

Mansion101
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
i wonder if theres a way to make it more realistic looking lol

Drince88
02-02-2011, 06:31 AM
i wonder if theres a way to make it more realistic looking lol

What do you want to make more realistic looking?

You make the 'scary parts' more realistic, you're going to take the attraction out of 'most of the famiily' appropriate. They tried that with Alien Encounter in the MK - and had too many complaints because it was too scary for the little ones (and that one had a height requirement).

If you want to be scared, i think Universal Hollywood has some options for that (or at least they did last time I went a few years back).

nursechrissy32
02-02-2011, 07:45 AM
but adore the yummy gingerbread smells in the ballroom during the holidays! :) How about bakin' turkey during November....and jelly beans in april?