PDA

View Full Version : Autopia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Mansion101
01-27-2011, 01:19 AM
sooo does anyone know if they are ever planning on changing the cars out to all electric ? i mean it is the future, and better for the enviorment. i was waiting on the exit bridge for my friends and the fumes nearly knocked me out lol. how long is that contract with cheveron ?

Susie63
01-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Great idea....we only rode it once on our first trip to DL because of that very reason.Beyond noxious!:eek:

Bytebear
01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
I've been hearing about this idea for years. I think it's a great one, but just not a priority for them. And, although Autopia is iconic to Disneyland, I actually think it fits better in California adventure, and that would open up a lot of Tomorrowland space.

houseofmouse
01-27-2011, 07:45 AM
We were talking with the CM's at Autopia in December and UPS is going to be their new sponser coming up they thought in 2012. They both said the plan is change the cars over to electric at that point.

Drince88
01-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Would that be a substantial enough upgrade that they'd have to do something to comply with accessibility laws? I believe the current Autopia is grandfathered in (hence the stairs, but not an alternate elevator - and the having to climb in and out of those low cars) - or does the very notion that it's driving a car with a gas pedal make that moot? I don't know - but it'd be a concern. They added the viewing room for the subs to be compliant, but that just doesn't cut it when it comes to autopia, IMHO

My personal guess is they won't do it until they need the NOx or VOC credits from the SCAQMD to do some other sort of major expansion - and how MUCH they'd have to do to comply with the ADA.

SigalTchelet
01-27-2011, 08:36 AM
I've been hearing about this idea for years. I think it's a great one, but just not a priority for them. And, although Autopia is iconic to Disneyland, I actually think it fits better in California adventure, and that would open up a lot of Tomorrowland space.

As much as I love Autopia in Tomorrowland, I am thinking it would be better suited in Cars land. They could make the cars like the ones in the movie.

The old man
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I heartily dislike Autopia, my 12 year old makes me go on it. It's impossible to hold down that pedal. However I want it to remain as it is. Loud, smelly, and with a ridiculous queue line. There's something wonderful about going through the trees, seeing the monorail, glimpsing unseen angles for other attractions. And I really dig when it goes from concrete to dirt/gravel--like they just didn't get around to paving all of it.

Long live its funkiness.

adriennek
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Would that be a substantial enough upgrade that they'd have to do something to comply with accessibility laws? I believe the current Autopia is grandfathered in (hence the stairs, but not an alternate elevator - and the having to climb in and out of those low cars)

But the do have an elevator at the bridge. It's an "open air" style.

Adrienne

Drince88
01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
But the do have an elevator at the bridge. It's an "open air" style.

Adrienne

Oops. I guess I didn't pay enough attention last time I rode it.

GREGOR
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
...I believe the current Autopia is grandfathered in (hence the stairs, but not an alternate elevator - and the having to climb in and out of those low cars)...

BTW, there is no such thing as a "grandfather clause" for ADA. Just because your building or structure was around before the enactment of ADA does not make it exempt.

Drince88
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
BTW, there is no such thing as a "grandfather clause" for ADA. Just because your building or structure was around before the enactment of ADA does not make it exempt.

Yikes, I can't get ANYTHING right today!
I thought it was grandfathering that said they didn't have to do anything to the Sleeping Beauty walk through when it had been kept open - but after it had been closed for a while, they had to install the room to allow those who couldn't navigate the steps, as a reasonable accomodation. I'd have thought the reasonableness of the accomodation would have existed before the walk through was shut down for a few years. BUT - we're not talking ADA, we're talking Autopia (and ADA is one of many many areas where I know enough to be dangerous, so I defer to other's knowledge!)

My incorrectness aside - I still think they'll keep the gas powered ones until they need the credits with the SCAQMD! (And I hope they don't paint all the cars brown if/when UPS takes over sponsorship!!)

MammaSilva
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
The ADA has exceptions, good example would be the canoes, there is no way to realistically or finacially make them HCA so Disney can file for a waiver and in that case would more than likely have one granted. TSI or whatever they're calling the island had to be 'converted' so it has paths that are accessible and an HCA stall in the bathrooms...yet the treehouse is not accessible in any fashion, not even a view room like the castle or the M.O.O. which is my all time favorite. It all depends on the attraction and the circumstances it would take to upgrade it to be HCA. Upgrading Autopia wouldn't be hard at all, they already have the lift/elevator, all it would take is to create a SUV vehicle that could accomodate wheelchairs. Folks who use the motorized scooters like myself would have to transfer but they do that already on a couple other attractions in the park.

Omnitographer
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
The ADA has exceptions, good example would be the canoes, there is no way to realistically or finacially make them HCA so Disney can file for a waiver and in that case would more than likely have one granted. TSI or whatever they're calling the island had to be 'converted' so it has paths that are accessible and an HCA stall in the bathrooms...yet the treehouse is not accessible in any fashion, not even a view room like the castle or the M.O.O. which is my all time favorite. It all depends on the attraction and the circumstances it would take to upgrade it to be HCA. Upgrading Autopia wouldn't be hard at all, they already have the lift/elevator, all it would take is to create a SUV vehicle that could accomodate wheelchairs. Folks who use the motorized scooters like myself would have to transfer but they do that already on a couple other attractions in the park.

we already have enough obnoxious suv's on the real streets, lets not bring them to disneyland :p

Tan Da Man
01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
just get rid of Autopia..its boring and the line is always too long, the go karts at the local mini golf are better

Mansion101
01-27-2011, 08:02 PM
well i would like to keep Autopia. where else can children get to drive. and this ride allows little ones to drive all over...not just a figure 8 like WDW...

Tinker44
01-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Autopia is very nearly at the bottom of my list. I hate it. I hate everything about it exept a few light-hearted screens worth of queue-theming. Seriously! The stink and the noise are awful.

When my daughter and I rode it in December she wanted to drive... at 10 yrs I thought, sure! NO WAY! She could not keep the gas pedal down and we 'stalled' every few feet. And when I jostled her over enough to get my own foot on the pedal, it was too awkward and I couldn't find the sweet spot. Too light and we stall, to heavy and we crash into the median. I was so stressed out I actually yelled at my kid. NOT how I wanted to spend time at Disney. :( I'd be delighted if it disappeared into the great beyond.

Besides, cars in any forms are hardly "transportation of the future" anymore... lets get something innovative. I know, lets figure out a way to merge Rocket Rods and TRON light cycles into some futuristic vehicle... maybe a hovercraft? Use the same track, just significantly improve and futur-ize the vehicles!

Mansion101
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
how bout a magnetic levitation transport type cars

Tan Da Man
01-27-2011, 10:02 PM
how about they clear it out and put in a good ride

Seashellmama
01-27-2011, 11:36 PM
just get rid of Autopia..its boring and the line is always too long

Yeah, I agree, nobody goes on it any more because it's too crowded.

;)

Mansion101
01-28-2011, 12:11 AM

;)

why would disney get rid of an attraction that takes soo many people out of the walk ways. now winnie the pooh, they can get rid of because the line is never more than 5 minutes.

Tan Da Man
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
why would disney get rid of an attraction that takes soo many people out of the walk ways. now winnie the pooh, they can get rid of because the line is never more than 5 minutes.

Or they could put in a good ride instead of Autopia and that would take even more people out of the walkway

Bolivar
01-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't get Autopia either, but when my daughter was younger it was her favorite ride. While not his favorite, my youngest son loves it too. Given the long lines, I take it lots of people like it.

And I don't get the frustration with the ride. I don't think I have ever done anything but hold the pedal all the way down.

Kuzcofan
01-28-2011, 12:23 PM

;)

Ok at first i was going to comment about this, but then I realized the sarcastic wink. Now I think it is a great and funny line...

I still go on it occasional, I think it is fun. It could use an update, perhaps light cycles instead of cars....

PoomShanka
01-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I seem to be the minority here; the stink and loud sputtering noise are all part of the wonderful nostalgia for me, going back decades. It's difficult (and sad) to imagine Tomorrowland without it.

The old man
01-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok at first i was going to comment about this, but then I realized the sarcastic wink. Now I think it is a great and funny line.
It's a riff on the famous line by Yogi Berra about a favorite restaurant, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."