PDA

View Full Version : DOH! DCA got dissed by Consumer Reports

HBTiggerFan
05-05-2003, 10:36 PM
I am not sure where this belong so I am putting it here, feel free to move it :)

On the Channel 4 news they just listed the top best value theme parks as rated by Consumer Reports.

WDW was at the top, and then 11, 12 and 13 were Knotts, Universal and DCA! :eek:

Darkbeer
05-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Actually, I did post a news article dealing with this...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16114

And here is the full list from Consumer Reports

1. Epcot
2. Disney-MGM Studios
3. Magic Kingdom
4. SeaWorld, Orlando
5. Universal’s Islands of Adventure
6. SeaWorld, San Diego
7. Disney’s Animal Kingdom
8. Disneyland
9. Cedar Point
10. Busch Gardens
11. Universal Studios Florida
12. Knott’s Berry Farm
13. Universal Studios Hollywood
14. Disney’s California Adventure

HBTiggerFan
05-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks DB! :) Shows what I get for never leaving the Lounge ;)

I guess this can be merged/locked/deleated or left be, whatever the mods want to do.

MammaSilva
05-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Is it just me or is there a distinct "lack" of Six Flags properties on that list?

Alex S.
05-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Is it me or is Disney-MGM surprisingly high on the list? Obviously subjective, but for me it is the least of the six Disney parks I've been too (I put DCA above it, even).

AVP
05-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that AK beat Disneyland?

AVP

jrad32
05-06-2003, 10:25 AM
It is odd that AK, MGM and MK beat DL, but with the state of Tommorowland I can understand the slippage. No surprises with DCA being so low, although it will likely vault a couple of spots when ToT opens.

Darkbeer
05-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Two comments, first, this is a quote from the Consumer Reports article...

The Ratings are based on a nationally representative survey of almost 2,500 people, reflecting more than 5,500 visits between November 2000 and November 2002. The number of responses ranged from 169, for SeaWorld in San Diego, Calif., to 868, for Magic Kingdom in Florida’s Walt Disney World. (We didn’t receive enough responses to rate any of the 16 U.S. Six Flags parks, the largest chain.)

And of course, this is just opinions, here is what one Orlando Sentinel columnist thinks of the report...

Line starts here for a true guide to theme parks (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/columnists/orl-locmiket06050603may06,0,1633954.column?coll=orl-news-headlines) - Orlando Sentinel, 5/5/03

The people at Consumer Reports must have been testing bongs last month. The proof is in the June issue, the magazine's first-ever review of theme parks.
And coming in first is ... Epcot?
This is like ranking Old Milwaukee as the top beer. Oops, I forgot. Consumer Reports has done that too.

innerSpaceman
05-06-2003, 11:22 AM
I didn't read the actual Consumer Reports article, but that organization bases its rankings on reported customer satisfaction, not attendance or money earned or any other factor.

Klutch
05-06-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm somewhat skeptical of the "nationally representative" claim. I think the vast majority of Consumer Reports readers, and especially subscribers willing to complete and submit surveys, are mature adults or seniors.

I'm a subscriber myself (yes, I'm an old gezer). Over the past few years the magazine has focused more and more on issues for seniors; medicare reform, social security reform, prescription drugs, etc. It's almost like reading AARP magazine

Consumer Reports used to feature ratings on movies in current release. The results, based on input from readers, were consistently bizarre. For example, a movie like "The Matrix" might rate very low, while something with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau would get the coveted, complete red dot. The movie scores were eventually abandoned; I assumed because the results were too weird and subjective. I think the same thing happened with the theme park survey.

mousketeer
05-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Klutch
...while something with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau would get the coveted...

Grumpy Old Men, perhaps.

tod
05-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Consumer Reports asked almost 2,500 visitors to 14 theme parks across the country to rate their experiences based on overall satisfaction, value, rides, shows, staff, souvenirs and crowds.

And seeing as half the population of the United States lives in the Eastern time zone (It's not just New York rah-rah that makes Eastern Time the de facto time on TV, it's plain ol' majority-rules) the dominance of east coast attractions surprises me not at all.

How DCA managed to beat ANY Six Flags park surprises me. Surely SOME Six Flags park could have gotten more votes than DCA.

--T

screamin4ever
05-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Sea World, San Diego beat Disneyland? What universe am I in? This entire list is suspect to me. Captured/bread mammals forced to jump on cue beating Disneyland? A walrus spitting poop water on guests better than Disneyland? This is beyond absurd.

Of course I guess people who visit Sea World may be easily impressed. Maybe these folks don't mind an "Adventure Park" with just ONE ride included with admission.

Oh! Maybe it's the fact that you can buy one day and have the rest of the year free? That way you can come as often as you like to get drenched in whale poop! Ugh!

I live in San Diego, and love San Diego, BUT I can tell you once is enough for a decade when it comes to Sea World.

I better quit before I start swearing!

cstephens
05-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by screamin4ever
Sea World, San Diego beat Disneyland?

For someone who prefers marine life to rides, then yes, I can see that. I don't know what their criteria were, but I doubt that's the angle they were taking, so that kind of ranking does strike me as odd.

Originally posted by screamin4ever
Of course I guess people who visit Sea World may be easily impressed. Maybe these folks don't mind an "Adventure Park" with just ONE ride included with admission.

Ummm, could we do without the belitting of people just because they might disagree with you? I've always objected to the "easily impressed" argument. I for one love Sea World and Disneyland, for completely different reasons. Disney does what Disney does, and it does it well, but Sea World also does some wonderful things that Disney could certainly learn from.

And if anyone is going to Sea World (San Diego, at least) for rides, then they obviously haven't done any research whatsoever into the park.

I think comparing Sea World to any of the traditional theme parks is ridiculous. There aren't enough common points to compare.

Darkbeer
05-06-2003, 11:23 PM
While each park is different, and offers different things, for example, how do you compare the Tram Tour ride at USH, is it one ride, or is it a series of attractions?

But let's look at SeaWorld, and find things you find at other theme parks.

Restaurants

Outdoor Vending snacks, things like Popcorn and Churros

Merchandise shops

3-d movies with special effects

Motion Simulators

Raft rides

Shows

Live band and acts (things like Cirque del la Mer and the band stage up front)

Skyway

Petting Zoo like experiences (SFMM still has their Petting Zoo, Knott's just got rid of theirs)

Special Events areas for private events

Amusement zone (Carnival games)

Kids Play area (Jungle Gym type stuff)

Well maintained walkways and landscaping.

Character artists (portraits)

Rubber heads

And SeaWorld San Diego is about to get a roller coaster type ride (Other SeaWorld's already have them).

Heck, there are similarities between Goofy's Beach Bash, and the Seal and Otter Show, lot's of prerecorded music and comedy.

So, there are a LOT of common points.

Darkbeer
05-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Oh, I forget a very important thing that many theme parks have...

DUCKS!!!

There is nothing like seeing a waddling duck looking for a handout :D

:fez:

Baggins
05-07-2003, 08:15 AM
I actually subscribe to Consumer Reports (it's an easy Christmas gift from my mom), and most of their reporting about consumer satisfaction is based on such a small number of people surveyed. The things they do best are auto and electronics reviews. Theme parks? That's strange.

Lani
05-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Klutch
I'm a subscriber myself (yes, I'm an old gezer).So am I. And I think moreso than not, the survey response probably came from those persons who pay the bills to fund the trips. So what if the 16-year-old daughter loves DCA the most? It's Dad or Mom who has to budget for the trip and foot the bill. AND it's their opinion Consumer Reports wanted.

Sheila
05-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lani
So am I. And I think moreso than not, the survey response probably came from those persons who pay the bills to fund the trips. So what if the 16-year-old daughter loves DCA the most? It's Dad or Mom who has to budget for the trip and foot the bill. AND it's their opinion Consumer Reports wanted.

That could be, but in American society today, the kids are in charge when it comes to determining where the entertainment dollars will be spent.

Considering that television advertisers are the most interested in the 18-to-24-years-old demographic, it's hard to imagine that Consumer Reports would not want to know what that same target demographic thinks is the best theme park....

Although I'm not a parent, I can't imagine my not consulting my kids on which theme park to go to -- they'd have my head on a platter! :D

Sheila

cstephens
05-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
But let's look at SeaWorld, and find things you find at other theme parks.

You're using restaurants, merchandise shops and "well maintained walkways" as points of comparison? I hope Consumer Reports didn't use the same criteria you just did, but if they did, then I can certainly understand how their list is completely useless.

Originally posted by Darkbeer
Heck, there are similarities between Goofy's Beach Bash, and the Seal and Otter Show, lot's of prerecorded music and comedy.

Yeah, ok, if you think that, then I can understand why you're comparing restaurants and shops.

Darkbeer
05-07-2003, 01:56 PM
From Consumer Reports June 2003 issue in relation to how the came up with the ratings
Satisfaction summarizes visitors’ assessment of their overall experience. A score of 100 would mean all visitors were completely satisfied; 80 would mean visitors were on average very satisfied; 60, fairly well satisfied. Differences of less than 4 points are not meaningful. Value is based on the percentage of visitors who said they got excellent value when asked to consider how much they spent in relation to the attractions, food, merchandise, and problems encountered. Scores for value, rides (and other attractions), shows (and other entertainment), staff, and souvenirs reflect the percentage of visitors who judged the parks excellent in those attributes.

So yes, the Food, merchandise and grounds were all important parts of the survey.

In the article, they have a synopsis of a few words for each park, here is the one for SeaWorld San Diego.

Shows better than average, but souvenir quality worse.

And if you don't look at SeaWorld, what about Disney's Animal Kingdom, is that a theme park?

One last quote from Consumer Reports

All the parks combine thrill rides with more-sedate shows, but they generally focus on one of four basic areas: rides, shows and other attractions, movie sets, or animals.

Klutch
05-09-2003, 08:23 AM
I finally received my June issue of CR and read the article. Seems Disneyland was a victim of its own success. It got spanked hard for crowds.

Apparently, a lot of people who responded to the survey are of the variety who A, figure they'll stop by the park around 10:30 AM on a Saturday and do Disneyand, or B, visit relatives in the SoCal area around Thanksgiving or Christmas and visit Disneyland while they are there.

This also helps to explain why EPCOT was rated so highly; light crowds. Although, this didn't help DCA much.

Disneyland also got the lowest rating possible for closed attractions. No surprise there.