PDA

View Full Version : DL vs. WDW

Pages : [1] 2

[ - kyo - ]
05-05-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm doing an english project and I decided to write a debate between Disneyland vs. DisneyWorld. Please tell me what's better (or not) and why. If you can find a previous thread about this, please tell me so. Thank you.

Andrew
05-05-2003, 06:42 PM
So um... we're supposed to do your project for you?

Try this: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/images/top_search.gif (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/search.php?s=)

cstephens
05-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by [ - kyo - ]
I'm doing an english project and I decided to write a debate between Disneyland vs. DisneyWorld. Please tell me what's better (or not) and why. If you can find a previous thread about this, please tell me so. Thank you.

I've personally never understood debating one park (DL) with four parks (WDW). That's just not fair. Even if you add in DCA now, it's still 2 vs. 4. I would hope that 4 would be better than 2.

mickhyperion
05-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Maybe you should consider narrowing your topic to a comparison of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. There is a lot to write about there and the comparisons would be fair. Comparing DLR to WDW is too skewed in WDW's favor because there is far far more going on in Florida's 43 sq miles than DLR's 2.5 sq miles (or whatever it is).

jrad32
05-06-2003, 11:08 AM
And when you think about it it's really not 4 parks to two. It's more like 4 parks/resorts/water parks to 1.5 parks.

Duane
05-06-2003, 11:15 AM
To make it simple, I prefer Disneyland over the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. Why? There is virtually no humidity in Disneyland while Florida is miserably hot and sticky the majority of the year. Disneyland park offers the same amount of attractions to enjoy which are squeezed together in a smaller park. If you go to Disneyland, you can expect to walk about 2 miles a day to enjoy the park. On the other hand, you will walk about 10-15 miles a day in Orlando. Everything in Florida is on a massive scale which requires tons of walking and endless types of transportation, all in unbearable heat and humidity. I am an athlete in top condition and Orlando still leaves me feeling like I have been to military boot camp when our trip is over. Disneyland is the choice for me!

mickhyperion
05-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Duane
There is virtually no humidity in Disneyland while Florida is miserably hot and sticky the majority of the year.

Everything in Florida is on a massive scale which requires tons of walking and endless types of transportation, all in unbearable heat and humidity.

The trick is to go between October and March...which is about half the year. The weather is typically great. Rainy, yes, but nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't go to Disneyland in the summer myself.

hazlnut
05-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Since you said English paper, allow me to offer my assistance. You start with something like…

I used to think the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World was like a reproduction of an original--a remake of a classic film, a replica of famous landmark, a museum shop print of a masterpiece. Then I visited the Magic Kingdom and heard Gilbert Godfrey's voice coming out of a bird at the Tiki Room. I now feel the Magic Kingdom is more like a Rollex bought off a Jamaican dude in Times Square--a cheap knock off made to fool people who don't know any better.

Use that as your opening thesis statement, sight several more examples of cookie-cutter cheese, and conclude by restating your thesis. Something like…

Regretfully, my heart goes out to families on the East Coast who, trying to save a few travel dollars and thinking the next best thing will suffice, never visit Disneyland, and are left with that empty, two-hours-after-Chinese-food feeling whence they return home and unpack the minivan, quietly longing for a vacation that could have been.

Hope that's helpful.

refurbmike
05-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Here's some web-pages that might help:

http://www.disneyfans.com/dlvstmk/index.shtml

http://www.disneygeek.net/dland_vs_wdw/

lazyboy97O
05-06-2003, 01:09 PM
I would have to say Disneyland. While WDW may have more to do, I felt it was really spread out. Disneyland is without a doubt better than the Magic Kingdom though. Florida's is bigger with attractions that are spread out.

Matterhorn Fan
05-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
Since you said English paper, allow me to offer my assistance. You start with something like…If you're advocating plagiarism, I have a serious bone to pick with you.

If you're doing the exact opposite, you might consider that it's difficult to tell if your post was tongue-in-cheek or not. Sarcasm is difficult to detect on paper. And in any case, plagiarism is no laughing matter.

[ - kyo - ], doing some research is fine, but remember to cite every single one of your sources. Don't try to pull one over on your teachers.

Please, neither of you take this personally. I don't know either of you, and I don't presume to think you actually would engage in plagiarism, but things appear to be pointed in that direction and I cannot read this thread without saying something. Make the right decisions--not out of fear of being caught, but out of respect for the learning process and out of your own pride in your work and accomplishments.

Exit English Teacher stage left.

hazlnut
05-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
If you're advocating plagiarism, I have a serious bone to pick with you.

If you're doing the exact opposite, you might consider that it's difficult to tell if your post was tongue-in-cheek or not. Sarcasm is difficult to detect on paper. And in any case, plagiarism is no laughing matter.

[ - kyo - ], doing some research is fine, but remember to cite every single one of your sources. Don't try to pull one over on your teachers.

Please, neither of you take this personally. I don't know either of you, and I don't presume to think you actually would engage in plagiarism, but things appear to be pointed in that direction and I cannot read this thread without saying something. Make the right decisions--not out of fear of being caught, but out of respect for the learning process and out of your own pride in your work and accomplishments.

Exit English Teacher stage left.

If you are an English teacher, I have a serious bone to pick any district or school that let's you anywhere near a classroom.

Don’t take this personally, but for the most part high school and jr. high teachers do not have clue on how to teach writing.

Plagiarism is the taking or copying of material (ideas) without permission. Not only were my suggestions obviously sarcastic (‘Jamaican dude in times square’), there was also an implied permission for use as a ‘jumping off’ or starting point from which the writer can work on their own ideas.

To all high school students: Fool your teachers whenever possible, because they know nothing of value. Do whatever you must to get good grades and get into a good University. Preferably a private one with small class sizes, because it’s there you may be lucky enough to meet a teacher worthy of the title—one who will actually inspire you.

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 08:14 AM
If you are an English teacher, I have a serious bone to pick any district or school that let's you anywhere near a classroom.

Don’t take this personally, but for the most part high school and jr. high teachers do not have clue on how to teach writing.

To all high school students: Fool your teachers whenever possible, because they know nothing of value. Do whatever you must to get good grades and get into a good University. Preferably a private one with small class sizes, because it’s there you may be lucky enough to meet a teacher worthy of the title—one who will actually inspire you.

Hazlnut, I am not a teacher, but what you just said is incredibly offensive and disrespectful to teachers, people who work their butts off teaching kids how to read and write for peanuts, simply because they love what they do.

I had some amazing teachers in high school. Teachers who taught me all kinds of things that I still use in my life today. Teachers who inspired me to become a better person and have a better life.

To say that all high school teachers are "not worthy of the title" is alarmingly obtuse and ignorant.

Do you ever think before you write??

hazlnut
05-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Toady The Eighth
To say that all high school teachers are "not worthy of the title" is alarmingly obtuse and ignorant.

Do you ever think before you write??

did you read the thread or are you joining the conversation in the middle...

The one thing I did learn in high school was how to identify ineptness and bitter underachievers. (not all or most, but many)

...and if you're going to put something in my mouth, next time, may I suggest... nevermind.

Toady The Eighth
05-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Yes, Hazlnut, I read the thread.

I read
To all high school students: Fool your teachers whenever possible, because they know nothing of value.

And I read
Preferably a private one with small class sizes, because it’s there you may be lucky enough to meet a teacher worthy of the title—one who will actually inspire you.

And

And I think those remarks are rude, sterotypical, and disrespectful to teachers.

However, I am going to take the high road here.. I know from reading other threads that it does no good to argue with you. So I am going to bow out at this point. I just wanted to say that I felt what you said was disrespectful.

jrad32
05-07-2003, 09:43 AM
"Teachers leave those kids alone" -- Pink Floyd;)

05-07-2003, 10:03 AM
If you want to start a thread on education, the Lounge awaits.

Meanwhile, back at the comparison DL vs. WDW: A major factor for east coast and midwest folks is Florida's climate from October to March, as michyperion said. If you've been looking out the window at snow since late October, as can easily happen where I live, the Florida sunshine seems very attractive.

But California , do I hear you say? Yes but Florida itself is more of a magnet to many.

Lani
05-07-2003, 10:25 AM
did you read the thread or are you joining the conversation in the middle...

The one thing I did learn in high school was how to identify ineptness and bitter underachievers. (not all or most, but many)

...and if you're going to put something in my mouth, next time, may I suggest... nevermind. Hazlnut, this kind of name-calling is not permitted here on MousePad. Please limit yourself to commenting on the posts, not the posters.

hazlnut
05-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Lani
Hazlnut, this kind of name-calling is not permitted here on MousePad. Please limit yourself to commenting on the posts, not the posters.

What kind of name calling? Who did I call what?

What are you talking about?

hazlnut
05-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Toady The Eighth
Yes, Hazlnut, I read the thread.

I read
To all high school students: Fool your teachers whenever possible, because they know nothing of value.

And I read
Preferably a private one with small class sizes, because it’s there you may be lucky enough to meet a teacher worthy of the title—one who will actually inspire you.

And

And I think those remarks are rude, sterotypical, and disrespectful to teachers.

However, I am going to take the high road here.. I know from reading other threads that it does no good to argue with you. So I am going to bow out at this point. I just wanted to say that I felt what you said was disrespectful.

When I asked if you read the thread, my question was not did you read my post, but did you read all the posts of the thread, specifically the one to which I was responding.

And, since you characterized my remarks as rude, it would seem you missed the high road turn off, it was two exits back.

smd4
05-07-2003, 01:24 PM
I have a serious bone to pick any district or school that let's you anywhere near a classroom.
Hmmm....Sounds like someone could have spent a little more time listening to their English teacher...

adriennek
05-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Hazlnut:

The moderators have contacted you both publically here in the forum, and privately.

Please stop, now.

Adrienne K

hazlnut
05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
Hazlnut:

The moderators have contacted you both publically here in the forum, and privately.

Please stop, now.

Adrienne K

And I have replied twice asking Lani for clarification of the rules and how I vilolated them.

You say, please stop. Stop what? What have I said in a post in this thread that viloates the rules?

Matterhorn Fan
05-07-2003, 03:08 PM
I will not be responding to personal attacks or ridiculous stereotypes.

I will, for the record, state that taking someone else's words and passing it off as your own even with their express permission is still plagiarism.

The WPA (http://www.wpacouncil.org) defines plagiarism:
Definition: In an instructional setting, plagiarism occurs when a writer deliberately uses someone else's language, ideas, or other original (not common-knowledge) material without acknowledging its source.

This definition applies to texts published in print or on-line, to manuscripts, and to the work of other student writers.

adriennek
05-07-2003, 03:28 PM
You say, please stop. Stop what? What have I said in a post in this thread that viloates the rules?

Well, to begin with, this forum is not the appropriate place to question moderators. Take it to email.

Keep in mind, most of the moderators have day jobs (or in my case, are currently dealing with situations such as sick children,) so we can't reply immediately.

If you don't know if something's violating our policies, perhaps you should save your responses until you have the clarification you're looking for.

Adrienne