PDA

View Full Version : A few DVC questions.

RunninDisney
01-22-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not ready to buy yet, but will be in about 6-9 months, and I have a few questions. Does it matter where your deeded at? You can stay at any DVC resort, right? Can you still get the dinning plan? How many years can you bank your points? Whats the best way to finance?

Thanks in advance!

gojoe
01-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not an expert but you home resort is a 11 month window for booking all others are 7 months. Yes you can get the dining plan but you purchase it. You can bank your current use year to be used next use year only. You can also borrow from your next use year. Re-sale contracts are about to change, I've heard. Something about only using your home resort. Have not seen any official details yet. Disney can finance but at a premium price.

GusMan
01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Does it matter where your deeded at?
--- Right now, if you buy from DVC, they are going to have certain resorts they are going to push. (ie: BLT and the one in HI.) However, if you tell them you want a different DVC resort, they may be able to accommodate you. However, the price scheme for older resorts will be pretty much the same as buying into BLT.

Some people say to buy where you like to stay. Some say to purchase where the overall cost of ownership (annual dues) is less. For us, we chose SSR because of the cost of ownership at the time.

Do look at the thread about resales. Resale is a great way to get a membership at an older resort, but it looks like they may change some rules that may or may not impact you.

You can stay at any DVC resort, right?
--- Yes. Like mentioned, you get to book at the 11 month mark at your home resort. 7 months at other DVC resorts. So, you need too keep that in mind when you pick a home resort.

Can you still get the dinning plan?
--- Yes, it can be purchased up to 48 hrs before your arrival. Do not ever to expect to be able to get it for free, though. (At least not on a points reservation.)

How many years can you bank your points?
--- Your current use years points can be banked for the following year. You can also borrow from the following year into your current year. You can get creative and use up to three years of points at once if you wanted to. It is super-flexible.

Example... for my 2011 year, that starts in March, I can borrow points from 2012 for a vacation in 2011... and if I had points banked from my 2010 year, I can use them in 2011 as well.

Whats the best way to finance?
--- Some people use a home equity line of credit since the rates are low. DVC does offer 10 year financing as well at a decent rate. (ours was like at 10.5%) You can put your deposit on a credit card if you want.

Toocherie
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
[You can stay at any DVC resort, right?
--- Yes. Like mentioned, you get to book at the 11 month mark at your home resort. 7 months at other DVC resorts. So, you need too keep that in mind when you pick a home resort.

Can you still get the dinning plan?
--- Yes, it can be purchased up to 48 hrs before your arrival. Do not ever to expect to be able to get it for free, though. (At least not on a points reservation.)

The foregoing is currently correct. However, please see the current thread on changes in the way resale points will be treated after March 20--this is an example where a "perk" which was originally given has been taken away. The right to transfer an owner's current perks that are not park of the "contract" is being taken away so that future resale buyers will not have the same choices of where to use their points (no cruises or Disney hotels--just DVC resorts and RCI exchanges).

However, both the ability to book at other resorts and the right to get the dining plan are "perks" as well--which can be taken away at any time. The only thing your contract guarantees is your ability to book your home resort.

JeffG
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
However, both the ability to book at other resorts and the right to get the dining plan are "perks" as well--which can be taken away at any time. The only thing your contract guarantees is your ability to book your home resort.

The dining plan is definitely a perk, but I'm almost certain that the ability to book at other DVC resorts is contractual.

-Jeff

GusMan
01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
The foregoing is currently correct.
Actually, since my comments were referring to only DVC resorts, they will continue to be correct after the changes. There is nothing in the current changes that indicate otherwise.

Sure, there may be changes sometime down the road, as there have been in the past, but a person looking into buying any timeshare should do so based upon current knowledge and current offerings.

I believe that Jeff is correct that the ability to book at non-home DVC resorts is contractual. (Although, it would be interesting to dig up the ole contract papers to re-read what they say.) Which is probably why the changes coming this year do not impact anyone's ability to book at DVC resorts, regardless of where they bought them. (My speculation.)

Of course, the ability to book at any DVC resort is based upon availability. Which means, you still have to plan trips accordingly.

To be fair to the OP, maybe we should keep discussions about the DVC changes to the thread already in progress. We can continue to answer Runnin's specific questions about DVC here.

Toocherie
01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
I believe that Jeff is correct that the ability to book at non-home DVC resorts is contractual. (Although, it would be interesting to dig up the ole contract papers to re-read what they say.) Which is probably why the changes coming this year do not impact anyone's ability to book at DVC resorts, regardless of where they bought them. (My speculation.)

My DVC docs are at my office; I will double check the language tomorrow--but I was responding to OP's question about whether he could book at other resorts and I do believe (based on discussions with others) that the only right the POS guarantees is the right to stay at the home resort.

tb52
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
My DVC docs are at my office; I will double check the language tomorrow--but I was responding to OP's question about whether he could book at other resorts and I do believe (based on discussions with others) that the only right the POS guarantees is the right to stay at the home resort.

Let me know what your documents say. I am looking at my orginal purchase agreement way back in 1995.
The pertinent clauses in mine are 6. the vacation point system. 7.Other DVC resorts. clauses a and b in particular additions and deletions.
I look at the BVTC with DVCMC under the umbrella of DVD. lots of initials for one enterprise.
BVTC can add resort whenever they want as long as DVD gives written approval.

section b deletions reads (hopefully I do not have too many typing errors)
existing DVC resorts may be deleted as DVC resorts due to an event of casualty, as a result of eminent domain action or automatically upon the expiration or earlier termination of the term of its vacation ownership plan's participation in the DVC reservation component, in accordance with the DVC resort documents or the termination of the DVC resort agreement for the DVC resort. In the event that a resort is deleted , the club members who own ownership interests at the deleted DVC resort will no longer be able to participate in the DVC Reservation Component so as to maintain no greater than a "one-to-one purchaser to accomodation ratio" as that term is defined in Section 721.05(22), Florida Statutes. A Club memebr will not be able to make reservations at other DVC resorts; However the Club member will continue to have reservation rights in the resort whwre the club member owns his or her ownership interest in accordance with the terms of the resorts vacation ownership plan.>>>>>>>>>>>>>
end of contract language hopefully I copied it correctly.

What do you think it means? I think they can pretty much do whatever they want.
On another note, Since I am a new member I cannot email you about the other item until I have a certain number of posts.when I reach that number I will send you the info.

Toocherie
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Let me know what your documents say. I am looking at my orginal purchase agreement way back in 1995.
The pertinent clauses in mine are 6. the vacation point system. 7.Other DVC resorts. clauses a and b in particular additions and deletions.
I look at the BVTC with DVCMC under the umbrella of DVD. lots of initials for one enterprise.
BVTC can add resort whenever they want as long as DVD gives written approval.

section b deletions reads (hopefully I do not have too many typing errors)
existing DVC resorts may be deleted as DVC resorts due to an event of casualty, as a result of eminent domain action or automatically upon the expiration or earlier termination of the term of its vacation ownership plan's participation in the DVC reservation component, in accordance with the DVC resort documents or the termination of the DVC resort agreement for the DVC resort. In the event that a resort is deleted , the club members who own ownership interests at the deleted DVC resort will no longer be able to participate in the DVC Reservation Component so as to maintain no greater than a "one-to-one purchaser to accomodation ratio" as that term is defined in Section 721.05(22), Florida Statutes. A Club memebr will not be able to make reservations at other DVC resorts; However the Club member will continue to have reservation rights in the resort whwre the club member owns his or her ownership interest in accordance with the terms of the resorts vacation ownership plan.>>>>>>>>>>>>>
end of contract language hopefully I copied it correctly.

What do you think it means? I think they can pretty much do whatever they want.
On another note, Since I am a new member I cannot email you about the other item until I have a certain number of posts.when I reach that number I will send you the info.

Ok thanks--I don't think the foregoing really has anything to do with the issue of whether booking at non-home resorts is a "perk" or "contract" right. All that is saying is that if, for example, BWV burnt to the ground, then BWV members would no longer be able to book at other DVC resorts (because by taking the BWV inventory away, there would be more owners than available villas on an annual basis). The BWV owners would then have to look to their contract to determine what their rights are--it might be that Disney could choose not to re-build in which event presumably if there were insurance proceeds they would be distributed to the ownership on a pro rata basis (based on how many years are left in the contract maybe?). I will have to take a look at that too because now I am curious . . . .

tb52
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
This is the part that concerns me

"or automatically upon the expiration or earlier termination of the term of its vacation ownership plan's (me: one disney subsidiary) participation in the DVC reservation component (me:another disney subsidiary) , in accordance with the DVC resort documents or the termination of the DVC resort agreement for the DVC resort"

Since all the pertinent subsidiaries are all under the same DVD umbrella, whats to keep BVTC DVD,DVC or any of the other spokes in this giant wheel from terminating the individual resorts participation in the DVC Reservation component ( which is just another of the entities under the DVD umbrella.)
Thats what concerns me. it looks like they could just say, Hey we terminate our participation in this particular dvc reservation component in favor of a new disney reservation component and change the rules.
I can easily understand the need for a catastrophic damage language, but am wondering why the rest of this language was inserted unless there is a reason to always keep open a away to eliminate usuing other DVc resorts.

fairestoneofall
05-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Not sure if this question pertains to the OPs question about booking at other resorts, but here goes...
We have two homes resorts, one being AKV and the other is BLT. Can we combine our 160 points at AKV with our 100 points at BLT and book a 260 point reservation at either resort in the 11 month window? I have a friend who said that we can only use our 160 points at AKV in the 11 month window and 100 at BLT in the 11 month window. Any feedback is appreciated!

JeffG
05-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Your friend is correct. You can only book at your home resort at the 11 months mark. If you have points at multiple resorts, then you would have to book a split reservation until the end of the home resort priority period.

-Jeff

fairestoneofall
05-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Your friend is correct. You can only book at your home resort at the 11 months mark. If you have points at multiple resorts, then you would have to book a split reservation until the end of the home resort priority period.

-Jeff
Well, that stinks. Thanks for the feedback.