PDA

View Full Version : Al Lutz's take on June 28th...

Darkbeer
05-05-2003, 04:01 AM
http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al050503a.htm

The scenario most Park supervisors predict is that Guest Relations will be comp'ing hordes of upset visitors into DCA for the day. But remember, DCA has an as-yet-untested capacity of 36,000 for the day, about half the amount of people that Disneyland can absorb before it needs to close its turnstiles (something that happens occasionally right around Christmas the past few years, but that Disney now tries very hard to keep from reaching the local media). If 15,000 people show up at DCA on that day anyway, that only leaves room for 20,000 or so upset Hotel guests or other visitors to migrate over to DCA from Disneyland before DCA becomes unusable as well. If Disneyland pulls in it's usual 45,000 to 50,000 attendance that is par for the course for a summer Saturday, there'll be at least 25,000 unhappy Mousketeers to deal with, won't there.

SoCalDisneyLover
05-05-2003, 07:46 AM
It might be interesting to check out a riot at Disneyland. One of those unique experiences. I think this has the potential for being a Gigantic Disaster in terms of overall PR and chaos. I did not realize that capacity at DCA was so limited, and if they can't come close to containing the many paying visitors, especially the tourists, then they basically should consider that day a wash in terms of revenue from ticket and hopper sales. At the least, they will probably need to come up with some sort of return comp, perhaps a non-expiring one.

One thing I was wondering is this. Is the VIP thing going to be so elaborate that there is no room to allow park visitors the opportunity of attending in some fashion? Realizing that any bleachers set up would be for VIP's, would there be space for Any # of park visitors to stand alongside the Rivers Of America, extending all the way over to Big Thunder Mtn. Rather, do they intend to make this so exclusive, that the insignificant jo shmo tourist, just gets the boot on a Saturday late June afternoon?

They could have some estimate of how many people could be accomodated reasonably, and then have a random generated lottery upon entrance, giving you the chance to be at the VIP premier of the movie. I realize this could never happen, but I thought it to be an interesting idea, to appease some disgruntled visitors....although there are going to be Many, Many, Many, Many of those.

innerSpaceman
05-05-2003, 12:09 PM
I almost want to go and see this train wreck happen before my eyes.

mousey_girl
05-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I almost want to go and see this train wreck happen before my eyes.

I was thinking the same thing! It would be fun to watch, but only from a high perch. I would hate to be stuck in the crowd.

SoCalDisneyLover
05-05-2003, 12:25 PM
If they don't close it down completely...which would strain things even more if they did...then the place to be would be Tom Sawyer Island. I imagine you could get a panoramic view of the bottleneck that will develop from the Pirates bridge, all the way into Critter Country, especially if they deny access to the area in front of River Belle Terrace, which would normally be a gateway in and out of the West Side. One tip though...get there early, especially if you want to witness, yet not become part of the mass of people trying to squeeze over that 1 bridge.

Morrigoon
05-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking, hop on the train, get off by the mansion, grab a seat by Harbor Galley (a nice untrafficked safe spot) and watch the fur fly! T'would be meet-worthy if it's not roped off. Unfortunately, I may be (gulp) working that day...