PDA

View Full Version : What to do? [hotel upgrade]

Chip37
05-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Got some great airfare through Southwest for a visit to Disneyland and also booked a Pkg. Deal through Getaway today. I'll give the details, so this will be long, sorry!! I booked air with SW for roundtrip from Nashville to Las Vegas for 580.00 for 4 people from July 8th-16th. Believe you me 580.00 is a GREAT fare!! Anyway here is where it may be a little confusing. After arriving in Las Vegas we will be getting on a seperate flight that I also booked with Southwest, which will be leaving Las Vegas and going to SNA which is John Wayne Airport. This particular flight will cost 208.00 for 4 people round trip. We will be leaving Las Vegas on the 8th of July the very same day we will arrive from Nashville. We will be leaving SNA to Vegas on the 14th and staying 2 nights at New York New York for 2 nights before departing on the 16th to come back home to Nashville. Now here is where the pkg. deal comes in! LOL!!! I told you this would be long so PLEASE forgive me!!!! We bought a Pkg. deal through Getaway Today for a total of 2155.00 which includes tax. Here is what we got. 6 nights in a room at the Disneyland Hotel , 4-5Day Hopper Tickets for the price of a 3 day ticket, 4 admissions to Knottsberry Farms This is also including the materials sent to us from Getaway Today such as maps and discount coupons and such. Now after reading all of this I will pose my BIG ??? Having stayed at Disneyland a few times and I'm talking 1997.1999. and Feb. of 2000. We have stayed at both the DL Hotel and the PP Hotel. Having never have stayed at the new Grand Californian, I was wondering if it would be worth a change. The total cost would be an additional 300.00 for a standard room at the GC. That means a total of 2455.00 for 6 nights versus 2155.00for our room at the DL Hotel?? Please give your honest opinions!!! Thanks, Chip.

AVP
05-04-2003, 04:16 PM
If you can upgrade your 6-night stay from the Disneyland Hotel to the Grand Californian for $300 total, I would do it.

AVP

lisap
05-04-2003, 04:30 PM
I probably would too. It's fun to stay so close to the parks--and the GC has great atmosphere. The rooms are smaller at the GC, so if you are staying with lots of kidlets, that might be a consideration.

miss bianca
05-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Only a $300 difference? You would be CRAZY not to do it. I have stayed at all the Disney Hotels and the Grand is awesome! Its so close to DCA that it truely feels like your staying in the park. Once you stayed at The Grand you will wonder how you ever stayed anywhere else. :)
If your staying at the Disneyland Hotel because of the grounds and pool - well 2 Things: 1) if your a guest at The Grand you can use any of the 3 hotels pools 2) The Grand has a great pool too.

dsny1mom
05-04-2003, 05:47 PM
**If your staying at the Disneyland Hotel because of the grounds and pool - well 2 Things: 1) if your a guest at The Grand you can use any of the 3 hotels pools **

Are you sure about this? I was told the only pool hoping was for guests of the PP at the DLH pool. One needs the correct key to gain enterance to the DLH pool. Are you saying that the GC keys will open the gates at the DLH pool?

If that is so then I guess all the keys to all three hotels are interchangable and anyone staying at any of the three hotels would be able a access the sister hotel's pools.

No offense but I really wish they'd stop doing these things, if they actaully are. If one wants the DLH pool then one should stay there. Nothing says lack of guest service like going to the pool at the hotel you are paying for to find all the chairs taken up by guests from other hotels.

dsny1mom

Matterhorn Fan
05-04-2003, 06:21 PM
I don't know about the other hotels, but guests at the Paradise Pier Hotel are allowed to use the pool at the Disneyland Hotel (but not the one at the Grand). If you've seen the pool at the PPH, you'd understand.

miss bianca
05-04-2003, 06:30 PM
My understanding of the pool hoping is as follows (correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I was told during our last few visits - but I know stuff changes daily!)

PPH - can use PPH and DLH only
DLH - can use PPH and DLH only
GCH - can use PPH, DLH, and GCH

lisap
05-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
If you've seen the pool at the PPH, you'd understand.

Yes, and yes.

Morrigoon
05-04-2003, 09:26 PM
You're spending that much on the vacation already, I say, upgrade.

MammaSilva
05-04-2003, 09:34 PM
My only other question would be is if there is a smoker in the group... GC is a non smoking hotel.. period... you have to go downstairs and outside to smoke.. but if the entire party is non smoking... Upgrade baby !

Morrigoon
05-04-2003, 09:50 PM
A truly Californian hotel, I love it!

I hear the rooms are smallish though.

chelbell
05-06-2003, 05:57 AM
How old are your children? I know I am going to get flack for this (sorry all of you GCH lovers!!!), but if they are young, I would say stay with the Disneyland Hotel. The Grand Californian is beautiful, but, in my opinion, does not have the Disney feel. The Disneyland Hotel rooms have the pixie dust wallpaper and all of the Disney touches, and it has the pool. By the way, I agree with the above post....I think you should only be able to use a hotel pool, if you are actually staying at that hotel. Sounds to me like you are getting a good package deal! I'm sure that you will be happy with whichever hotel you choose....the Grand Californian is beautiful, but my heart belongs to the Disneyland Hotel. Have fun!!!:)

ESS Heckler
05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
I agree with Chel - if you've got small children, you'll be happier at the DL Hotel (read the reviews on this site to determine which DLH tower suits you best).

I LOVE the GC, but it is designed for adults. The DL Hotel appeals more to children - particularly the pool.

I hear the rooms are smallish though.

Yes, the rooms are smallish, but very tastefully decorated.

dsnylndmom
05-06-2003, 01:00 PM
I've gotten agree with Chelbell also, even though I've never stayed at GCH. My kids are 4 & 8 and when we go through the hotels while they ooh and ahh at the lobby at GCH when they go to DLH they "oh I wanna stay here" "oh I love it here" etc etc!

If your kids are old defitnely go GCH!!! I plan on finally staying there for my birthday for the 50th(no kids)YAY