PDA

View Full Version : increased use of K9 dogs?

kaybee2
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Brought dd to DLR for the long weekend. We're noticing a lot of K9 dogs w/ security in both parks (both during the day & night). Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts as to the reason?

Malcon10t
01-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Brought dd to DLR for the long weekend. We're noticing a lot of K9 dogs w/ security in both parks (both during the day & night). Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts as to the reason?We saw quite a few over the Christmas holidays. We also watched one detect fireworks on New Years Eve. Security blocked off the area for what appeared to be sparklers.

disney42dude
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I've seen them every so often the last few years, anywhere from the parks to the picnic area to the esplanade.

CMHusband
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
They are always around. Apparently they have a new one now too. So they have about 4 dogs now (guessing) which I think is a lot for an amusement park.

MickeyDogMom
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
They have at least 5. Two black Labs, two blondes, and a German Shepherd. There may be more. (One of the German Shepherds and I go way back. :rolleyes:) The police dogs visit occasionally too but they stay in DTD or the esplanade.

They're pretty low key dogs (like they should be) so you could easily miss them if you're not looking for them. :)

shna
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Each time I see the reference to K9 dogs in the thread title, I think "as opposed to K9 cats?"

Sorry. Just had to mention it since it's popped into my head at least half a dozen times now.

ogold72
01-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Increased visibility and number of K9 dogs, unfortunately, doesnt surprise me. That is just the world we live in. I can see DLR as a legitimate target for some Jihadi. Lots of people packed into small spaces. There may have been a change in policy with DLR to increase coverage/security at the cost of a slight reduction in "Magic" or there could have been tip-off that DLR was being actively targeted.

wishingwelldesigns
01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I thought they were drug sniffing dogs

TRON
01-22-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought they were drug sniffing dogs

Each K9 is trained to sniff out something specific like drugs or explosives and they can be more specific as to only sniff out a certain type of drug or explosive. It all depends on the training and the K9 but no K9 can sniff out both drugs and explosive, unfortunately they only have one specialty per K9.

Considering the amount of people that DLR get at any given time which makes it a great target for anyone who wants to do harm to others for whatever reasons an increase in K9 would be the more likely choice for public safety. Unless some might prefer the methods of what the TSA does for every guest who would like to enter DLR.:eyeroll:

I know we live in a more security enforced world today but I welcome the sight of the K9 units at DLR for peace of mind.

leota's necklace
01-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Each time I see the reference to K9 dogs in the thread title, I think "as opposed to K9 cats?"

Sorry. Just had to mention it since it's popped into my head at least half a dozen times now.

THANK YOU.

Guys, c'mon. K9 = "canine". Get it?

Bolivar
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
... It all depends on the training and the K9 but no K9 can sniff out both drugs and explosive, unfortunately they only have one specialty per K9. ...

I googled to learn more about this and it is interesting. Dogs for law enforcement/security work are trained for one of three things: drug detection, explosive detection or police work (tracking and tackling bad guys). They will "dual train" dogs, but only in police work and drug detection or police work and explosive detection. They don't train dogs in both drug and explosive detection because they used to and apparently there have been tragic results where the handler mistook an alert for explosives as an alert for drugs, didn't take the proper precautions and ... well you can imagine the result.

TRON
01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I googled to learn more about this and it is interesting. Dogs for law enforcement/security work are trained for one of three things: drug detection, explosive detection or police work (tracking and tackling bad guys). They will "dual train" dogs, but only in police work and drug detection or police work and explosive detection. They don't train dogs in both drug and explosive detection because they used to and apparently there have been tragic results where the handler mistook an alert for explosives as an alert for drugs, didn't take the proper precautions and ... well you can imagine the result.

Thank you for correcting me:)

I just assumed that it was common knowledge that all K9's received/trained in police work. I was just merely stating the fact that they cannot be dual trained in explosives and drug detection.

Thanks for the extra info!:)

Bolivar
01-24-2011, 07:26 AM
I wasn't really correcting you. You were correct, they aren't trained in both drug and explosive detection. I thought it was really interesting why they aren't.

Gone2Disneyland
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for opening this thread, OP. I hadn't seen any K9 at the parks before, but on my way to my car yesterday at the Chip 'n' Dale level, I came upon their K9 trailer hitch. Kinda surprised me, but now I know thanks to this thread. Now I wanna find them next time I visit the parks! :p

ogold72
01-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for opening this thread, OP. I hadn't seen any K9 at the parks before, but on my way to my car yesterday at the Chip 'n' Dale level, I came upon their K9 trailer hitch. Kinda surprised me, but now I know thanks to this thread. Now I wanna find them next time I visit the parks! :p

So it sounds like in addition to looking for Hidden Mickey's we are also looking for Hidden K9s!

Nancy
01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

That is so funny because I was thinking the same thing!

Malcon10t
01-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I wasn't really correcting you. You were correct, they aren't trained in both drug and explosive detection. I thought it was really interesting why they aren't.Yep, and it isn't the dog, it's the handler that causes the problem. The dogs can be trained for either scent (think about the multiple scents for tracking) and they can be trained for both scents. But the handler, not knowing which scent they are alerting to, can cause major problems. So, they have learned "Train the dog for one set of scents (ie explosives)". The black lab and German Shepherd we encounter at Disneyland are explosive detectors. You can usually find them sweeping the planters through NOS before and between Fantasmic! nightly.

TRON
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Yep, and it isn't the dog, it's the handler that causes the problem. The dogs can be trained for either scent (think about the multiple scents for tracking) and they can be trained for both scents. But the handler, not knowing which scent they are alerting to, can cause major problems. So, they have learned "Train the dog for one set of scents (ie explosives)". The black lab and German Shepherd we encounter at Disneyland are explosive detectors. You can usually find them sweeping the planters through NOS before and between Fantasmic! nightly.

I wish that was the case but unfortunately that is not true. It is the K9 that cannot be trained for 2 different scents and if the K9 was they would be the one to be confused.

When a K9 is trained to detect explosives the K9 will have a signature move/indicator which informs the handler that the K9 detected something. That signature/move indicator might be sitting/laying down, walking circles around the suspicious package, barking, etc. It is whatever the handler has trained the K9 to do to trigger a alert.
If a K9 could detect 2 scents then the handler would just need to train them to sit for one (drugs) and bark for the other (explosives).
The problem is with the K9 and not the handlers. K9's are not accurate when trained for 2 scents rather than just one. If the K9 was trained for 2 scents and it detected explosives in a bag and alerted his/her handler. That whole area would be cordon off until an explosive team could get there and check it out, not to mention all the extra police needed to keep all the "lookie-loos" out of harms way. If the dog was wrong all the loss of business (depending where it was at) cost to deploy an explosive team, time and extra resources lost. This is why K9's are only trained to sniff out drugs or explosives. Police Officers (which include K9) do not have the luxury of being wrong in the public eye.

kaybee2
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM

Duh-oh! (as I thump my forehead)...
Once again I am reminded of the dangers of using my smartphone to post - proofing becomes troublesome and I make silly mistakes! Thanks for pointing it out!