PDA

View Full Version : Question - What Are Some of the "Small Things" You Love About DLR?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

aidensdaddy
01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
What are some of the "small things" that you appreciate about being at Disneyland? I'm talking about the things that cost no money, are completely priceless. We sometimes call these those precious moments. But they're also the things that are at Disneyland every day, that we some times take for granted or don't notice cause we're hurrying off to our next destination.

The smells of ice cream from Gibson's Ice Cream Parlor? The music that is played on Main Street, or along the parade route in DCA? The pop pop of the guns from Jungle Cruise that you can hear while in Town Square? The Matterhorn being a magnificent & completely unintended backdrop on Storybookland? The sounds of the train pulling into Main Street Station or the Monorail going by overhead as you stand at the entrance? The sight of a little girl, dressed as a princess, running towards her favorite princess? Or perhaps seeing Mickey or Minnie walking across Town Square while holding the hand of a small child, leading a small parade of proud parents and eager children?

How about the relics of things gone by or no longer there? Seeing Max, Buff, & Melvin hanging in the rafters of the ride that replaced their jamboree? Or walking across a grand Esplanade & not seeing a different theme park, but seeing what was once a parking lot filled with the dawn of excitement and anticipation, and the star filled skies sparkling above sore tired feet & the sleeping heads of little ones on their daddies shoulders, dreaming of their favorite character? Does one close their eyes to appreciate the sounds of the music played across that Promenade, or perhaps picture the old ticket booths where they used to stand, displaying ticket prices at $23?

What are your small things you appreciate? And if any of you say "All of the above" you're so fired! :p

oregontraveler
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning" Wait, wrong topic :D

Talking about sensory stimulation (not necessarily sensory overload)

I love smelling popcorn at the hub whilst 'Put On Your Sunday Clothes' is
playing on the Main St loop. Sitting by the first aid station while the parade
performers come out from backstage.

Reflecting on Yesterland memories: the Boat Cruise loading dock aka Fantasia Gardens is always a nice photo op. Knowing the old Fantasyland Skyway station is still standing, a mere shell of its former glory Wishing the old Entrance marquee on Harbor was still there.

Mostly, what I love about DL besides the Attractions is the Entertainment.
I know most of the groups have a limited time to be onstage, but they are putting on a show and I appreciate the efforts. I love the Dapper Dans, Billy Hill, Pearly Band & All-American College Band in the summer.

Toocherie
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I appreciate the smells piped out from the candy shop and the (usual) quiet refuge that is Carnation Gardens. I do miss the ice cream shop there . . .

Bytebear
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I love the green park benches on Main Street. Perfect theming.

dlfansx4
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I love how the CMs we see over and over will smile when they see my kids coming and give them a big hug (whether they actually remember them or not doesn't matter....that they make the effort to have the kids feel that way because they know the kids remembers them, does).

I love the smell of POC and having my stomach drop when we do the goat trick on BTMRR, LOL.

I love the sound of the scanner at the turnstyles because it means we are there.

And most recently I loved watching my DS walk all over DL recording everything with his new video camera, even though he has been there an average of once a month his entire life. Listening to his narration along the way was priceless because it means that he notices all the small things too ;)

AJDerrick
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I love the scanner noise, too!

I love my 'engagement' bench on the train platform. It's always our last stop. We get ice cream and watch everyone make their way out of the park.

I love hugging Oscar and getting my Baked Potato Soup.

I love the star room on Peter Pan.

I love the sleeping ducks on Storybook at night in the Peter Pan park scene.

I love seeing a Disney kitty.

PoomShanka
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
The tick tock of the Small World clock is one of my thousand favorite things! When the ride is closed down, the absence of the tick-tock is one of the saddest, most deafening silences. :(

moofeet
01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Easy...THE CRAB on POTC!!

Grandpa Louie
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
The Columbia letting off a few rounds.

aidensdaddy
01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I love the star room on Peter Pan.

I love the sleeping ducks on Storybook at night in the Peter Pan park scene.

The star room is practically the best room. It always reminds me of America Sings, where you're going to the next stage, the room goes dark and you see stars everywhere.

And I don't like the ducks when they're on the island. I call them the "attack of the giant ducks" cause it throws off the scale. I joke sometimes that they should give the guests little air guns to shoot at the ducks when you go by. :p

aidensdaddy
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Easy...THE CRAB on POTC!!

You mean this one? :p

You can save that pic to your pc, you know. If you haven't done so already. You can have a copy. :)

Some great responses everyone, some I wouldn't have even thought about. Like the scanners at the turnstiles. Keep em coming!

underthesea
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
My two favorite things of Disneyland are being there first thing in the morning with everyone rushing to their first ride and all the CM's out on Main Street waving and saying good morning. My other has happened a couple of times being in Fantasyland as it first gets dark and looking up at the sky above Pinnochio and seeing the first star of the night, it is so magical.

jimreuter
01-12-2011, 07:41 PM
"
Mostly, what I love about DL besides the Attractions is the Entertainment.
I know most of the groups have a limited time to be onstage, but they are putting on a show and I appreciate the efforts. I love the Dapper Dans, Billy Hill, Pearly Band & All-American College Band in the summer.

Yup. And Farley The Fiddler, and The Bootstrappers Pirate Band, The Jambalaya Jazz Band, The Royal Street Bachelors, Tex and Sam and Miss Chris at The Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, The Laughing Stock Company, the piano players at Coke Corner, the Firehouse band. At DCA, The Miner 49ers, the Aladdin show, the parades. There is a wealth of high quality entertainment available if you choose to stop and listen.

foolishmortal
01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I love the sound just off the corner of FCM there is a OoooOOOoo kind of music, that if you have ears that pick up every sound you will here it.

the tiny little firefly's at the start of POTC.

Looking to see if the crab and dirty foot are there.

ID-ing all the plants growing in Tomarrowland. LOL, our kids are farm kids so they get a kick out of that.

I love all the tiny Little noises that make up the back round of the rides and lands. The jungle music playing In adventure land, the harmonica music between fantasy and frontier land.

I do Have to say I love the crickets and bug chirping in A bugs land in DCA.

I loved that last time we were there both my kids got the Dale hats and kept doing "bump noses" with the little red Dale nose.
It just made me smile to see my tall 12yr old DD bending down to bump Dale noses with her 7yr brother and both break out in fits of giggles!:fez:

The fact that my family goes around inspecting the props and noting how things are made and out of what. We spend hours looking at all the tiny little things that make up an area we love.

We notice something new on every trip.:D

DisneyManders
01-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I love when I first walk into the park. And I remember how much fun it was last time, and how everytime is different.

I also LOVE the Walt and Mickey statue (first picture, usually of any trip)!

Churros! We don't get them up here, so they are a treat!!:D

Tinkermommy
01-13-2011, 07:56 AM
-The light in Walt's apartment, and knowing it will always be on. That makes me happy.

-The "Here you leave today" plaques above the tunnels leading to Main Street. I wish I had one for my house.

-Cast members who "get" us. Monday, for example, the Tinkerteen got her braces off. She'd been craving a Disneyland caramel apple for two years, three months, so we drove over to get one. The Candy Palace CM was so excited for her! They even gave her an "I'm Celebrating!" button, though all we were celebrating was the end of her metal-mouth years. I LOVE it when CMs get into our excitement!

DwarfPlanet
01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
DW is a collector of Fenton Art Glass which has been around since 1905. One of the things she loves doing is visiting everywhere she can in the park and looking for where Disney Imagineers have used Fenton glass. Such as the current lamp in Walts apartment is a Fenton Lamp, or some of the lampshades in Gibsons are Fenton to name a couple. We even wrote an article for one of the Fenton clubs on where to find Fenton in the park. So needless to say she has some favorite pieces and it sounds funny but she specifically will go to a store to see if that particular piece is still there, plus dreaming to be able to own a couple of them.

gotchalk
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
The sound of the boats from the jungle cruise and the old movies in the theater on main street

destinationdisney
01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I love the announcement at the train station that the Disneyland Limited is now arriving. :D

aidensdaddy
01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
They even gave her an "I'm Celebrating!" button, though all we were celebrating was the end of her metal-mouth years. I LOVE it when CMs get into our excitement!

It goes to show that even some CM's appreciate the little things.

aidensdaddy
01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I love the announcement at the train station that the Disneyland Limited is now arriving. :D

And hearing that part during the Remember fireworks.

BlkPearlCptn
01-13-2011, 04:13 PM
The landscaping. I found a book there on the landscaping of Disneyland. Took one whole trip and with the book discovered all sorts of wonderful hidden things.

foolishmortal
01-13-2011, 09:08 PM
The landscaping. I found a book there on the landscaping of Disneyland. Took one whole trip and with the book discovered all sorts of wonderful hidden things.

Wow I'd love to have this book! Did you get it at Dl?

Tinker44
01-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh the little things... part of what makes Disneyland unlike any other place in the world.

~ the sound at the turnstiles (I know its been mentioned, but is SO true)

~ the "smell" on some rides. POTC in particular as a distinct aroma in one of the rooms... I love it! Indy always smells like dust and sulfur, and I may be imagining it, but WtP always smells like 'hunny' to me.

~ I love love love the footprint of the abominable snowman at the base of the Matterhorn. I have my photo with that thing (while I am pretending to be him) from age 9 thru age 35!

~Thanks to this board, I took a special moment to appreciate the petrified tree from Mrs. Disney. I love that it still has a place, along with the lamp in Walt's office.

~ I have always admired the attention to detail in the theming... whether it is the attractions, the queues, the CM's costumes... it always is "just so". Just stand in line at Pixie Hollow (for example) and look around you. Have you spotted ALL the fairies statuettes? Did you recognize some of the nods to the films? Did you hear the buzzing bees? Did you notice the plaque at the exit and do you understand what it means? It's ALL in the details!

~ And the characters.... so often those 'precious moments' occur right in front of your eyes as you embrace Mickey and believe with all your heart that he really is Mickey! And special props to all Face Characters! The Mad Hatter and Alice had me in stitches as they sang and played with my daughter on her birthday. Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder taught her how to strike a pose and how to smoulder. The Evil Queen actually scared us, she was so in character... "Get out of my way, I have places to go, things to do, apples to poison!" Seriously... some of the most magical and memorable moments were given to me to cherish by a brilliant Character performance!

~ and in the center of it all, Walt with his best pal Mickey, inviting us to take a moment to breathe, to think, to love and above all, to live his dream.

yup, it's the little things.

aidensdaddy
01-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow I'd love to have this book! Did you get it at Dl?

Eh, I'm guessing Barnes & Noble.