PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass for Indy a waste?

shila
05-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Hey everyone,

So I was at DL on the 30th of April and was wondering how you guys felt about this..

I got a FP for Indy and came back at the time the ticket stated but I found the only thing that fast pass does for you on that line is allow you wizz by the outdoor line, if there is any. Well there was none on wensday so the FP was a waste.

My question is whats so "fast" about the fast pass if you still have to stand in line for the entire indoor part of the line? It goes about 1/4 mile in if I'm not mistaken

Any thought?

Also taking advantage of the disconnected FP machines for the first time was awesome :)

And I give Innoventions a big thumbs down. I went on a "virtual vacation" which consisted of me sitting there and having one image projected on a wall and then bieng shown a never ending commercial for panasonic, not fun and I hit the button to exit early. Horrible idea this virtual vacation thing.

tabacco
05-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Usually they manage the inner line so that it doesn't start until the "office" room, right after the movie. They now hold the bulk of the line in the outdoor queue.

If you can't move the merge to the head of the line, move the head of the line to the merge.

BiggJakeMoney
05-02-2003, 11:11 AM
You don't have to stand in line for the entirety of the indoor portion of the queue.

Holding the standby people outside completely frees up the inside. Essentially, you can walk all the way to Indy's office or the loading station until you come up against an actual line of people. Up until that point, it's completely empty, and you have a nice brisk walk through the interior of the temple.

Now, personally, I think this sucks. Part of the coolness of Indy comes from the interior queue, and now with Fastpass in place, you don't have time to really soak in the atmosphere. You just breeze through it, and all the time the Imagineers spent on making the queue very immersive has now gone to waste with no one having the time to pay attention to the detail.

If what I've heard from a few people is true, though, when Indy goes down for it's first major rehab in September, they're going to be doing some standby/Fastpass line shifting, so that if you're in standby, you will once again be able to take your time in the interior and soak in the detail.

Bill Catherall
05-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by BiggJakeMoney
Now, personally, I think this sucks. Part of the coolness of Indy comes from the interior queue, and now with Fastpass in place, you don't have time to really soak in the atmosphere. You just breeze through it, and all the time the Imagineers spent on making the queue very immersive has now gone to waste with no one having the time to pay attention to the detail. I agree. Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin has the same problem. But I think it's worse for RRCS because the standby line waits outside with no shade in the heat of summer when the entire cool part of the queue is empty.

10krbell
05-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BiggJakeMoney
Now, personally, I think this sucks. Part of the coolness of Indy comes from the interior queue, and now with Fastpass in place, you don't have time to really soak in the atmosphere. You just breeze through it, and all the time the Imagineers spent on making the queue very immersive has now gone to waste with no one having the time to pay attention to the detail.

I have to say I totally agree! We almost never go on using a FastPass (of course I have a 4 year old and just had #2 in Dec, so we really don't get on it much anymore) But I *love* the queue! I can read Maran from standing in that queue for so long after it opened!!!! Standing in line waiting has never been fun, but at least DL makes an effort to distract you!!!

Polar33
05-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Atleast the FastPass on Indy bypasses some kind of a standby line on a weekday. I really don't see a need for Star Tours, Pirates and the Mansion to have FastPasses at all on the slower days. Usually the wait times are 10 mins. or less and having the FastPass option available just tends to throw people off. I can't tell you the number of times I have watched familys get FastPasses for Star Tours when the wait time is only 5 min., just to return to wait for 5 min. in the FastPass line.

I won't even go into how pointless it is on certain things over at DCA.

It really wouldn't be that difficult to just close off the FastPass machines when the standby wait time is at it's minimum and (depending on that day's projected attendance) might stay that way for a while. I'm sure lots of people don't even notice that there is not a long wait, they just see the word "FastPass" and automatically assume that it is the better option.

Also, I totally agree about FastPass royaly messing with the queues. Not only does it take away from the storyline it usually causes lines to back up into the park creating traffic flow issues. The one for Pirates is no fun when you need to push something through there on a buisy day. Somebody really needs to work on that.

experiment626
05-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Polar33

It really wouldn't be that difficult to just close off the FastPass machines when the standby wait time is at it's minimum and (depending on that day's projected attendance) might
they do this at Malestrom at Epcot (WDW) that they do this with. Only on weekend and "busy" times is FP available.

screamin4ever
05-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Absolutely agree. It also has the effect of creating a huge crowd in Adventureland standing around trying to read the stupid signs / waiting until the fastpass return time comes / generally looking blankly in the direction of the temple for no apparent reason.

Indy does not need a fastpass with the current queue. Please let this ride soak up a few hundred people to reduce crowding in adventureland until they are able to redo the lines and hopefully move signage to a place people can actually see it.

I know that one of the benefits of fastpass is that the rides are kept at full capacity all day without spikes of attendance, but come on. When was the last time Pirates routinely filled its queue and the halls down the left side of the building? I think it was back when I was dating my wife 15 years ago.

Small World only has it at Christmas. That makes sense. October through December is the only time HMH needs it.

At least give out a "surprise" fastpass for HM when getting one for Indy to get those people out of there.

YellowMan
05-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by shila
I got a FP for Indy and came back at the time the ticket stated but I found the only thing that fast pass does for you on that line is allow you wizz by the outdoor line, if there is any. Well there was none on wensday so the FP was a waste. I've had this happen before when I had an Indy Fastpass and there was no outdoor line and what did I do? I didn't use the Fastpass and just walked through the standby line (since they were the same length). This way, if I have a guaranteed second ride later because even if a line develops later I will still have a Fastpass for it.