PDA

View Full Version : Autopia - it was only a matter of time...

Pages : [1] 2

glfnetm
05-02-2003, 04:58 AM
From today's OC Register:

Friday, May 2, 2003
Boy injured at Disneyland ride

A 4-year-old boy was hurt when he fell in front of the cars on the Autopia ride at Disneyland on Wednesday. Dean Fryer, a spokesman for the California Department of Occupational Safety & Health, said the boy suffered minor injuries. The boy, who was not named, was taken to UCI Medical Center, said Disneyland spokeswoman Marilyn Waters. Fryer said the boy was running on the loading platform when he slipped and fell in front of slow-moving cars. "The boy is lucky he wasn't injured more," he said. The ride reopened Wednesday afternoon, but the state is still investigating the accident. –

drjones
05-02-2003, 06:59 AM
where were the parents?

drjones
05-02-2003, 06:59 AM
where were the parents?

10krbell
05-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Now, now, now...don't you know that once you enter Disneyland all parental responsibility is terminated? I mean, after all, Disneyland is the Happiest, and safest, PLace on Earth! I mean thats why they hire all those CM's. to take over and babysit your kids for you!

Toady The Eighth
05-02-2003, 07:47 AM
Accidents happen. I am not at all surprised by this. Parents should be watching their kids extra carefully at the Autopia loading area.

outlaw8
05-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Some of these parents don't even watch their kids in PARKING LOTS why would they watch them in DL!?? Have you seen how some parents let their kids run in front of them to get to the car?..Whats wrong with holding our childs HAND!!

jtm1631
05-02-2003, 10:13 AM
How did this become the parents fault? Were you there, did you see what happened? As a parent, I will agree that some people's idea of parenting is criminal, but for people to assume the parents are to blame is unfair.

Let's assume a parent was holding the childs hand. After standing in line for who knows how long the 4 year old is full of excitment to finally be in the "parking lot" and get the chance to drive the car. In the blink of an eye the child pull's his hand away and begins to run to a car. By the time the parent reacts to reach out and grab the childs hand again, the child has tripped and is falling into the path of the car. Is this the parents fault?

We do not know what happened, so we can not assume the parents were not being responsible. The good news is it seems everyone is OK and maybe in the future the parents and the child will be more careful.

JT

mad4mky
05-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jtm1631
We do not know what happened, so we can not assume the parents were not being responsible.
JT

Thank you Jtm for saying exactly what I was thinking.

While I am not the perfect parent, it frustrates me to no end to hear/read "non parents" bash parents, and their actions. Granted, some parents should be monitered closely. But in most situations, things just happen by sheer accident, or by what happened as you stated. People who don't have children (or don't work with them on a regular basis) really don't know or understand how something can happen in just a quick few seconds with little ones in tow.

Jason Reynolds
05-02-2003, 10:43 AM
I can say I agree with both sides of this issue. I always wonder why Autopia doesn't have any gates or some type of restraint from keeping people away from an oncoming car.

smd4
05-02-2003, 10:47 AM
By the time the parent reacts to reach out and grab the childs hand again, the child has tripped and is falling into the path of the car. Is this the parents fault? Sure it's the parent's fault. If the child hasn't been TRAINED properly, at that age, to respect the commands of the parent, then the parent is to blame. Simple.

And I don't have to have kids to know this. I was a kid myself, once, and a well-behaved one, unlike many of the little mosnters out there today running into the paths of Autopia cars. I would never have dreampt of disobeying my parents.

EandCDad
05-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Kids sometimes run...kids sometimes slip....accidents happen. Not knowing anything about what happened, the parents should probably have been watching this kid a little closer, but that happens sometimes. People without kids who comment authoritatively on what should be done in these situations are always good for a chuckle.

jtm1631
05-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by smd4
Sure it's the parent's fault. If the child hasn't been TRAINED properly, at that age, to respect the commands of the parent, then the parent is to blame. Simple.

You do not "TRAIN" children, you raise them. We are talking about a four year old here. Does this child have special needs? Are there other circumstances which may have had a factor in this child not "respecting the commands of the parent"? You do not know the answers to these questions and have no right to make any assumptions.

[i]And I don't have to have kids to know this. I was a kid myself, once, and a well-behaved one, unlike many of the little mosnters out there today running into the paths of Autopia cars. I would never have dreampt of disobeying my parents. [/B]

It is quite obvious from you comments that you are not a parent so restating this fact was not necessary. Seems funny that you were such a "well-behaved" child since as an adult you are quick to find fault with others when you do not have any of the information necessary to make the assumptions you make.

JT

smd4
05-02-2003, 11:06 AM
I don't need any more information to make a judgment. A child got out of control and got injured. I blame the parents. Maybe you want to blame the innocent 4 year old who got hurt.

If the child had special needs, then the parents are doubly to blame.

And I never said I didn't have children...

hefferdude
05-02-2003, 11:12 AM
You do not "TRAIN" children, you raise them.

Nope! One trains a dog, raises chickens and rears children.

Don't ask me why, it's just the English language.

I was a kid myself, once, and a well-behaved one, unlike many of the little mosnters out there today running into the paths of Autopia cars. :rolleyes:

OK all you Polyannas out there, its an imperfect world.
We are not all Martha Stewart so adjust.:p

Old Blue
05-02-2003, 11:16 AM
As a parent an a grandparent my question is also where were the parents! There are times when you can be casual in watching your children, such as when the danger of them being hurt is very low. But, when they are in an area where the danger is great you must do what ever it takes to keep them under control. Walking next to moving cars is a dangerous area! Children of that age can not be expected to understand the dangers of traffic.
In regard to gates, The attraction is already scheduled to go down in the next week or so to have gates and fences installed.

smd4
05-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Right. We "raise" children. We treat them as "friends." We allow them to roll over us in the interest of "letting them be who they will be."

Hogwash. What, are you saying they need to be "potty raised?" STOP IT WITH THE EUPHAMISMS!! Children that age need to be Trained. There is a reason that accidents like this didn't happen in the 50's and 60's. Kids respected their parents then...

MetalliKitty
05-02-2003, 11:18 AM
I will not be surprised if a lawsuit arises from this incident. Nauseated, yes- surprised NOT.

I really hope I am wrong, and pleasantly stunned by a lack of litigation.

Tigertail777
05-02-2003, 11:20 AM
OK look guys there can be a million factors involved here, and they may, or may not reflect on the parent. But please lets not have a another thread degenerate into name calling etc. It hasn't gotten that far YET, and I am hoping it doesnt. Lets stay civil please.
My two cents on this is probably a little of everyone's view: I can see some children need to learn more respect for their parents, also even though I have no kids of my own, I know from experiences with my neices and nephews and babysitting, that things can happen in the blink of an eye with kids. I also know kids just have no real concept of time at that age, and I am certain waiting in line must have seemed an eternity. And really who knows? Maybe it was just a freak accident... maybe he just slipped, lord knows I sure "slipped", fell etc. a lot when I was a kid for no apparent reason. There are just too many unknowns to say it was any one thing for sure.

jtm1631
05-02-2003, 11:22 AM
I don't need any more information to make a judgment. A child got out of control and got injured. I blame the parents. Maybe you want to blame the innocent 4 year old who got hurt.

I guess we just don't agree on this one. When an accident occurs and you don't know the facts, I do not feel a need to blame anybody, either the 4 year old or the parents. Sometimes s**t happens, and there is nothing that can be done to prevent it. As I said before, hopefully both the parents and the child will learn to be more careful in the future.

JT

Toady The Eighth
05-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Toady The Eighth
Accidents happen. I am not at all surprised by this. Parents should be watching their kids extra carefully at the Autopia loading area.

Just to clarify..

Parents should be watching their kids carefully, but DISNEY should have some sort of gate type thingy to protect kids from running into the cars. And this may very well not be an iresponsible parent case.

Bill Catherall
05-02-2003, 11:29 AM
There is a reason that accidents like this didn't happen in the 50's and 60's. Show me the statistics. You say that the "child got out of control." How do you know that? It was obviously an accident. The OP said the boy fell. He could have tripped on his new shoes or just lost his footing (it does say he slipped). It didn't say he jumped out in front of the car.

So do you have kids or not, SMD4? You say "I never said I don't have kids." That dodges the issue and doesn't state that you do have kids. Do you or don't you? If so, do they live with you?

In my experience, people who think they know everything about children don't have children of their own.

mad4mky
05-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Ok folks...Let's keep an even keel on our anger levels.

And please, watch the language. It's is a no-no to even use aterisks for no-no words. That can get you into some trouble. If the censor picks up your no-no words...better watch it. :(

stan4d_steph
05-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Looks like the gates that Autopia is getting next week are coming a little late for this incident.

Largent81
05-02-2003, 12:36 PM
I can see how it happened. My two year old was a handful when getting on Autopia. He was thrilled and didn't want to wait. We held him, but sometimes all that energy in a little kid can be dangerous and they can break away from their parents.

One issue no one has mentioned is the possibility that the child was with Grandparents or other relatives. They say more accidents happen in the Grandparents home than the parents. This is usually due to Grandparents feeling experienced and letting the child do more than they should. (IE: leaving them alone, letting them walk without holding hands) Not saying all Grandparents are this way, it's just that there are some. (Like there are also nonobservant parents.)

I am very glad to hear that gates will be installed. My husband and I discussed this many times on our last trip to DL. Almost every other ride has gates, while Autopia does not and really needs them.

jtm1631
05-02-2003, 12:51 PM
First, I would like to apologize for my use of an asterisked word.

Is this truly the first “accident” at Autopia? I am sure there have been some whiplash incidents, but are we discussing the first reported accident involving a “pedestrian”?

If so, that is a pretty good track record:D

JT