PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland will close at 6pm on Sat, June 28

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
05-02-2003, 01:34 AM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/calendar/index?highlight=dca&selectedDate=06/28/2003

WOW :eek:

Opening at 6:30 AM, and closing at 6 PM...

And DCA staying open until Midnight....:eek:

Just one word... WOW!!!! (6:30 AM?)

Duane
05-02-2003, 04:20 AM
Why are they doing this in June? My guess is they are experimenting with the idea of closing before dark to save money. I'm sure it takes a tremendous amount of money to light the park at night but that is one of Disneyland's trademarks. In fact, Walt used to refer to it as "Disneyland after Dark" because the park changed into a whole new world when the lights came on! It looks like they are giving me yet another reason to stop flying across the United States to visit. Their cutbacks disgust me beyond words.

merlinjones
05-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Is that the night of the big Pirates movie premiere?

ErikBsandiego
05-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Yes this is associated with the Pirates Premier. The test screenings must have come in good for them to agree to that kind of revenue hit on the Parks. They must be expecting good reviews and good word of mouth for a sustained run.

MammaSilva
05-02-2003, 07:50 AM
ohhhhh open at 6:30 AM... I MISS those days.. get to the park with dew still on the plants.. cool and fresh and very few people there yet...kind of felt like you had the park all to your self for a few brief moments!

Ghoulish Delight
05-02-2003, 08:29 AM
Could it be grad night?

Darkbeer
05-02-2003, 08:46 AM
This is the night of the VIP, invite-only movie premiere for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie to be held along the banks of the Rivers of America.

disguy
05-02-2003, 08:59 AM
I feel bad for the people who spend thousands to fly,room and tickets and then find out that Disneyland closes so early on a Saturday. I don't think it's right.. not at all!

(I am just mad cause I wasn't invited) :~D

tabacco
05-02-2003, 11:08 AM
At least they compensated by moving opening earlier. It's not as if this is a standard DCA 10-6 day.

jrad32
05-02-2003, 12:11 PM
I bet its a ghost town at 6:30 a.m. That would be sweet.You could probably ride every ride you wanted to by 10 a.m.

Largent81
05-02-2003, 12:24 PM
I clicked on the link and I couldn't see anything other than "no info" stuff.

However, if the park opens at 6:30, you can bet I'll be dragging my butt out of bed bright and early that morning.

Polar33
05-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Lets see...if the park opens at 6:30 that means that the ODV openers will arrive at...3:30 :eek:. The park closes at Midnight the night before putting the closers off at 3:00 that means that the closers and openers will miss each other by thirty min. I think I will put in a shift preference for that day so I don't end up stuck getting up that early (I'd much rather see 3:30 as the end of my day rather than the begining if you catch my drift.)

Hey...wait a minuite. Friday, June 27 lists as opening at 6:30 as well. Something funky is going on here...never trust that thing I tell ya.

Also, I always thought that they would only be closing off the Westside for the premiere. It certainly would make it easier to run a theme park at the same time, and if you compensated with earlier hours as well not too many people would complain.

SoCalDisneyLover
05-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Basically they're screwing those people who are from out of town, and probably have already planned their vacation out to be at Disneyland that weekend, or worse yet...That Day.

Guarantee....Disney's solution will be this..."We apologize, but due to the fact we don't want the VIP's mingling with you insignificant tourists and such, we are going to be kicking you out of Disneyland at 6 PM tonight, instead of our normal closing time of Midnight. You will not get to see any Fireworks show, Parades, or Fantasmic on this early summer Saturday, and if you planned this trip months ago in hopes of spending the night at Disneyland...well, sucks for you then. We will however invite you over to our sister park, California Adventure, which is usually relatively empty anyways. Feel free to spend your money there, and ignore the fact you may run out of things to keep you interested for more than a couple of hours. Our new hit show Aladdin is probably sold out already for this summer Saturday, so don't plan on attending it either. Anyways...we're sorry for any inconvenience, but hope you will return to visit our park on another day when it is more convenient for Us." :-)

Polar33
05-02-2003, 03:46 PM
lol...they should make that the closing announcement for that night! It ought to give them enough time to get the riot squad in their ready posistion.

Gauchograd99
05-02-2003, 07:21 PM
If that 6:30am is true I am going to be there! I am used to being up at 5:45 every morning anyway, so that will be interesting! I hope it is a foggy morning too.

Here is the ultimate question: What time do they open (and close) "Parasite Park" that day?

SoCalDisneyLover
05-02-2003, 09:03 PM
The other park is supposedly open 10 AM - Midnight. Has DCA ever been open until Midnight other than New Year's Eve?

AaronInCal
05-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Yup, DCA used to be open till midnight everynight when it first opened in Feb. 2001. If I remember correctly, they did this for a few weeks, and the place would be empty by dark, so you could literally walk around almost alone for about 3 hours! It was kinda cool! They really did think this park was going to be a smash hit right from the start.. Sucks it did not turn out that way.. but things will only get better!

Sophie832
05-03-2003, 01:46 AM
I almost want to go to DCA that night, just to see how empty it is at midnight...almost.

Gauchograd99
05-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Ah, if it isn't a reply from my lovely "almost wife" hehe
DCA at midnight... does that mean Rod and the swing dancing might be moved over there for that night? I hope not as the question begs: WHERE??? ;)
Looks like that would be a record day for me then given it would be a 6:30am til midnight day at the parks. Then again, since there is nothing open "for your shopping convienance" after closing, where am I to find a disposable camera with which to take pictures of all the "celebrities" showing up for the movie? Oh wait, I really don't care about them, and the fact they are closing the moneymaker for them kinda makes me sick... and want the movie to BOMB HIDEOUSLY!! *evil grin*

DisneyFan25863
05-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Who's up for a 11:30 PM meet at DCA? :fez:

Maybe whe can even make continuous rides on the Maliboomer to try and see the show from 100 feet in the air :fez:

tabacco
05-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Just go on Soarin'... after all, you can see into Disneyland from there too, right? ;)

DisneyFan25863
05-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
Just go on Soarin'... after all, you can see into Disneyland from there too, right? ;)

Yeah, who knows? Maybe Tink will give us a lift :fez:

cujosr
05-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Sophie832
I almost want to go to DCA that night, just to see how empty it is at midnight...almost. Would be the same as if it was already closed... very lonely.:crying:

RStar
05-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Hey, I know. We could all get there at 6:30 am, ride as many rides as we can, then meet at the hub at noon and compare notes. I bet we get most of them in by then. Perhaps all of the open ones. No Space, TSI, Water crafts on the Rivers, ect. I don't even know if this will effect PotC or not.

Or we could have a "Pirate Pot Luck" at noon. With our own red carpet!:eek: :D . We'll show them we are our own VIPs, and they can take our park away, but we don't need them to have a good time anyway.

Yah, that's it!:fez:

I can see the menu now...

Plunder Pie

Cap'n cupcake

Land lovers Liver and onions (well, maybe not:))

Bloomin' Cockeroach Onions

Carlos, don't be Cheeekin strips

We Want's the Red Head fez casserole

Sink the ship Jello Mould

And my new recipe of..........

"The town's on fire!" chili :eek: !!!

Hey, we may need to plan this;)

Sheila
05-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I'm certainly no Disney apologist, but I'm not sure I understand why it will be such a disaster if DL closes early and folks leave DL at 6:00 to go home or visit DCA.

First of all, the park will be open 12 hours, so although not everyone will get up at the crack of dawn, most people will still be able to get their money's worth in terms of experiencing the available attractions.

Secondly, at WDW (and yes, we at DLR are terrifically spoiled), park hours at their theme parks generally end by 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. during much of the year. Most folks leave the parks and go have dinner offsite or visit Downtown Disney.

Closing the park down at 6:00 after approximately 12 hours of operation still provides a pretty good value for those utilizing one-day tickets.

Sheila