PDA

View Full Version : Fountain in the middle of the esplanade?

Pages : [1] 2

jcruise86
01-05-2011, 06:16 AM
It was reported on another Disney fan site that there might be a fountain in between the two parks.

A fountain or any other object here reminds me of the awful decision to move that ride from the top of the Peoplemover loading building to the Tomorrowland entrance. This Dumbo with spaceships attraction used to be part of an uplifting view, but now it clutters and obstructs. The World of Color already has great fountains, so if fountains must be added to the esplanade, please put them off to the sides.

Mermaid
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't know, I think it would be cool to have a big fountain in the middle. Logistically, I am not sure how they would keep people out of it, which may be an issue. But I think there is space for it, the middle is usually not crowded and it could be cool if done right.

Drince88
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Plus they're taking out the fountain inside the entrance to DCA.

olegc
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
I think the esplanade needs to be a bit more than just a large brick blank area. Something needs to be there. Whether that's another fountain or not i don't know. It would be neat if the fountain had two sides - if you're looking towards Disneyland from DCA you'd get something integrated that way, and vice versa for DCA from Disneyland.

Remember, though, that the DCA entrance will be moved TOWARD the Disneyland gates - so the esplanade will be technically smaller than it is now. According to the story they also plan on putting in planters or other landscape to make the backs of the ticket booths look more appealing within the esplanade itself.

I guess you kind of have to wait until you see some artwork to figure out how it looks.

PoomShanka
01-05-2011, 07:42 AM
I've always liked the large space between the parks. It's a relief from feeling crushed within the crowds inside the parks.

I wonder what will happen with the tiles with peoples' names on them that are "in the way" of this project?

stan4d_steph
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
They're going to have to do a lot of ripping out if they do that to lay down all kinds of piping, drainage, etc. Going to make a big mess. Is the time limit up for those tiles, because those may have to go too.

pixar
01-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Having just come back from Hong Kong Disneyland where they have a fountain in their promenade, I like it.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=471&pictureid=4722

olegc
01-05-2011, 08:32 AM
They're going to have to do a lot of ripping out if they do that to lay down all kinds of piping, drainage, etc. Going to make a big mess. Is the time limit up for those tiles, because those may have to go too.

they may simply remove and replace the name tiles - but I do also wonder about the terms and conditions on their stay in the esplanade.

the esplanade is destined to feel cramped anyway - with two parks entry closer together, and the fact that DCA will now be as popular (at least in a year) as Disneyland at times, the crowd in the middle will be like John Wayne Airport at 6am on a weekday (local reference, I know, but it fits).

cstephens
01-05-2011, 08:48 AM
As I recall, the promise was that the tiles would stay for 10 years. But I don't know if that's from when the area first opened or from when your particular tile is installed. The 10 years for our tile would be up later this year.

houseofmouse
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
The mentioned article said the fountain would be where the compass currently sits. I don't think that is a bad thing. It does not mean because of the fountain the whole esplanade would be a crowded mess. I think it sounds nice and if we can all put up with the construction in DCA, why not a bit of construction for the fountain and whatever else they put around there?

Disneylandfanguy
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
If I remember correctly, a fountain was originally considered for the middle of the esplanade, but then they ultimately settled on the compass.

I think I would be ok with it. The compass tends to be a problem when it rains, its slippery and they have to put caution cones around it.

jcruise86
01-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I've always liked the large space between the parks. It's a relief from feeling crushed within the crowds inside the parks. . .
I'm with you. One of my favorite places in Disneyland is the uncrowded area along the river under the Hungry Bear Restaurant where one can look at TS' Island or down the "river." And for all my ranting about the BBQ prices, I found that getting away from the crowds there has been priceless. I also preferred the area in front of Pirates of the Caribbean before that guest control bridge was added. I don't mind crowds (I LOVE Disneyland and have no trouble at malls around Christmas), but I also enjoy getting away from them for brief periods.

If they do plus the area in between the parks, I hope they still allow for some big open areas with views of the park entrances.

A series of (tile) red "carpets" (or maybe actual red carpets) up to Disneyland, and shell or glitter-covered paths to DCA might be appropriate.

I wonder if the landscape architect who designed the gardens at the Getty in Brentwood would be available.

Bytebear
01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
If they do a fountain, they better do something better than that flower fountain in front of the WOD. That is the cheapest mall fountain I have ever seen and it has no Disney theme at all to it.

houseofmouse
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Ugh, I agree. The fountain out there is awful!

leota's necklace
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but you should see the size of the clown buried under there...

Bytebear
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
LOL. Thanks. Now I will never look at that fountain the same way again.

Grandpa Louie
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM

I've been doing piping, drainage, concrete, etc, my whole life, it's no big deal.

The pavers in the Esplanade make this easy, it's like taking a jigsaw puzzle apart and putting it back together, no actual demolition (sawing, pavement breaking, patching) is required. You never know with WED, I mean WDI, the piping may be there already.

stan4d_steph
01-05-2011, 05:19 PM
So it'll be another fountain they turn off when water is low, like the flower?

Disneylandfanguy
01-05-2011, 07:52 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think that a fountain would be a really good idea.

As I mentioned before, the compass is a problem when it rains, and as nice and open as the esplanade is, a nice fountain in the center would certainly help things, and I doubt that it would make the area seem cluttered.

The esplanade could also use some more benches.

Bytebear
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
how about a nice big tree, with benches around it. I think some shade would be nice.

dznyphreak
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
A fountain is fine, but effectively turning the esplanade (or "entrance plaza" or whatever they like to call it) into a park just sounds like a bad idea. That place can get pretty packed before park openings (only on certain days, granted). It just lacks anything visually exciting at the moment, and a nice fountain would be great IMO.

TowerofTerror
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
That would be cool if they did have a fountain in the middle

BlkPearlCptn
01-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Looking forward to the fountain. Hope it comes to pass.

DwarfPlanet
01-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I always liked the fountain that is in EPCOT, something like that would be neat.

Drince88
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I always liked the fountain that is in EPCOT, something like that would be neat.

I liked it better before they 'roughed' it up. It used to be super smooth - such that when you threw a coin in the fountain, if it landed on the top part, it 'disrupted' smooooooooth surface and looked cool. I guess either the smoothness couldn't be maintained with coins being thrown or something like that - so now it's not the smooth laminar flow it used to be.

(Oh, I haven't used laminar in a sentence in a LONG time!):geek:

ETA: Or did you mean the big one BEHIND Spaceship Earth that 'dances'? I was talking about the one between Spaceship Earth and the entrance.