PDA

View Full Version : Costume complaint (and solution)

Rick
05-01-2003, 05:15 PM
One drawback I've found in the "rubber-head" costumes at Disneyland is that many of the characters found at the park cannot speak. It's just been one of those minor problems that's always bothered me. Just a thought, why don't they create a mask for the characters with audio-anamatronic mechanisms built into it causing their lips to move whenever they spoke? I'm not sure if it would work but it's just a thought.

Does this bother anyone else, or am I just nit-picking?

cstephens
05-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Rick
One drawback I've found in the "rubber-head" costumes at Disneyland is that many of the characters found at the park cannot speak. It's just been one of those minor problems that's always bothered me. Just a thought, why don't they create a mask for the characters with audio-anamatronic mechanisms built into it causing their lips to move whenever they spoke? I'm not sure if it would work but it's just a thought.

Does this bother anyone else, or am I just nit-picking?

But the problem with that is that they'd have to cast someone in each costume that can do each voice dead-on. That's a lot harder to do than hiring someone who can do the gestures correctly, which is quite a bit as it is.

ChipmunkStar
05-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Number one: What costumes?

Number two: Two words: Teddy Ruxpin *shudder!*

MonorailMan
05-01-2003, 08:51 PM
I say leave it as is. I mean, the CMs in the costumes, do a very well job. I mean, I wish I could gesticulate like that. It's a skill I would love to learn, they way they communicate.I can watch a character for hours. :)

Toady The Eighth
05-02-2003, 07:52 AM
I think if you had the non-face characters speaking it would create a lot of confusion among kids about why they sound different.

I'll bet the casting Dept has enough trouble finding a couple of Mad hatters :D