PDA

View Full Version : Has Tron succeded in getting People Moving?

Pages : [1] 2

Imaginears
12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Like many other Mouse Planetears I've been keeping my fingers crossed that Tron's success at the box office has been enough to convince the Disney Execs to Invest in the Refurbishment of Tomorrowland. If not the whole "land", at least the track of the People Mover which as every Mouse Planetear knows has been my biggest complaint over the past years. Confident that the people mover will not return to it's former glory, I'm excited about the prospect of a newly "reimagined" attraction that will utilise the old People Mover track, which winds around the whole of Tomorrowland!!

I'm not sure if Tron has done well enough at the box office to insure that a Tron attraction will be installed. It's been number one at the box office but the budget was so huge it's hard to tell what could make it a financial success.
I was just wondering if anyone has heard or has some insight on what response the Tron market has illicited from Disney in terms of any expansion at Disneyland's Tomorrowland? Is there hope? Is there a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrowland in the furture?

olegc
12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
if they do - it probably would not be announced until summer 2012... rumors are always out there - but the park ops team is hunkered down ready for issues with DCA closures and the marketing team is prepping the Ariel blitz (spring 2011 supposedly) then carsland for spring 2012..

I can't imagine they'd steal the thunder so soon to announce a tron item. Who knows...

Bytebear
12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I really think Disneyland is on hold for a while because of the massiveve work being done over at DCA. I was really shocked that they even did Star Tours. But I think that was a fairly easy retrofit with no major construction involved. Doing a major overhaul, or even getting the People Mover running again would be a huge transformation.

When Star Tours reopens, I think you will find out if they are planning anythign with thePeople Mover track, because you will see how they integrated the track with the new queue. Hopefully they didn't rip it out.

aidensdaddy
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I seriously doubt that it would be considered to be doing well enough, being that it was only #1 at the box office for one week. With it going down the list week after week, it's level of income drops. The hype leading up to the release was high, but it has since depleted. It won't be enough to get the powers that be to do something about the peoplemover. It's not getting the same fan response & demand that Captain EO got once Michael Jackson passed away. Granted the peoplemover is a lot more popular than EO ever was, but it appears that most people have moved on. No pun intended.

aidensdaddy
12-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I really think Disneyland is on hold for a while because of the massiveve work being done over at DCA. I was really shocked that they even did Star Tours. But I think that was a fairly easy retrofit with no major construction involved. Doing a major overhaul, or even getting the People Mover running again would be a huge transformation.

When Star Tours reopens, I think you will find out if they are planning anythign with thePeople Mover track, because you will see how they integrated the track with the new queue. Hopefully they didn't rip it out.

Actually, the work they're doing on Star Tours is more than a simple film addition or computer reprogram. I would expect a complete refit or refurb of the attraction. They may take the time allotted for the refurb to give it a clean refit, including new paint, a refreshed queue, and clean up the mechanics of the four shuttles. It would be nice if they would remove all the dirt that goes flying across the underside everytime the shuttles lean this way and that. Also, could they remove the "remove before flight" ribbons from the pilots? Not to mention the "It is my first flight and I'm still getting used to my programming!" It's been over 20 years!!!!

aidensdaddy
12-30-2010, 12:27 PM
if they do - it probably would not be announced until summer 2012... rumors are always out there - but the park ops team is hunkered down ready for issues with DCA closures and the marketing team is prepping the Ariel blitz (spring 2011 supposedly) then carsland for spring 2012..

I can't imagine they'd steal the thunder so soon to announce a tron item. Who knows...

From a marketing perspective, they should match the opening of the new Cars film with the opening of the land. We all know it won't turn out that way, but it just makes more sense. Oh well....

olegc
12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
From a marketing perspective, they should match the opening of the new Cars film with the opening of the land. We all know it won't turn out that way, but it just makes more sense. Oh well....

i know its OT - but I believe they will have the land open at least, and maybe one attraction and one shop or food. this way they can say it ties in, even if there is not much there.

aidensdaddy
12-30-2010, 03:05 PM
i know its OT - but I believe they will have the land open at least, and maybe one attraction and one shop or food. this way they can say it ties in, even if there is not much there.

I seriously doubt that would or could happen. I wouldn't ask them to rush it anyways. When something is rushed, it comes in lower quality. Case in point, the Rocket Rods. Were rushed for the Tomorrowland refurb. And they barely lasted a year before being taken down permanently. Personally, I'd love for them to implement the "Tailfin Pass" area of Radiator Springs into the Cars Land. It is the area in the film that features the Waterfall and the Wheel Well that Sally takes Lightning to. I have the Cars video game for the Gamecube system and the way it is laid out, it is completely gorgeous. And I love the mountain country.

houseofmouse
12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
IMO If they redo the People Mover, I hope they don't tie it into any movie. Doubt that would happen but not everything has to have a movie tie in. Tomorrowland is about the future and they could re-do it that way and make it compliant with all the new codes in CA.:)

olegc
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
IMO If they redo the People Mover, I hope they don't tie it into any movie. Doubt that would happen but not everything has to have a movie tie in. Tomorrowland is about the future and they could re-do it that way and make it compliant with all the new codes in CA.:)

THAT thinking has not happened for a while. At least for major attractions. The refurb of Rivers of America did not have a movie tie in but they were cosmetic changes for the most part. Anything major these days will have some sort of movie tie in.

the only thing that bucks that trend is the stuff going on at DCA - Red Trolley, land specific themes, etc, don't have movie tie ins - but that could be due to the era depicted. If there were some movie coming out, or past one that was a classic or gigantic hit, they might name it.

aidensdaddy
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
THAT thinking has not happened for a while. At least for major attractions. The refurb of Rivers of America did not have a movie tie in but they were cosmetic changes for the most part. Anything major these days will have some sort of movie tie in.

the only thing that bucks that trend is the stuff going on at DCA - Red Trolley, land specific themes, etc, don't have movie tie ins - but that could be due to the era depicted. If there were some movie coming out, or past one that was a classic or gigantic hit, they might name it.

Correction. The Rivers of America refurb DID have a movie tie in. When they rethemed Tom Sawyers Island to be Pirates Island, it was rethemed for the Pirates movie franchise. What used to be Injun Joes Cave is now themed towards the Pirate movies and has some of the characters in it. There are also tidbits or mention of Jack Sparrow all over the place.

disney42dude
12-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Correction. The Rivers of America refurb DID have a movie tie in. When they rethemed Tom Sawyers Island to be Pirates Island, it was rethemed for the Pirates movie franchise. What used to be Injun Joes Cave is now themed towards the Pirate movies and has some of the characters in it. There are also tidbits or mention of Jack Sparrow all over the place.

I thought the island was pirate themed before last year's ROA refurb.

aidensdaddy
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I thought the island was pirate themed before last year's ROA refurb.

Was it?

olegc
12-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Was it?

Pirate's Lair was added several years ago (between movies 1 and 2). Last year's ROA added more indian AA figures, the eagles nest, deer and other animals, the cabin themed for Mike Fink, and the whole story line that the river is made up of the four famous rivers in America - Mississippi, Potomac, Columbia, and Rio Grande. That was opened early this year.

aidensdaddy
12-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Pirate's Lair was added several years ago (between movies 1 and 2). Last year's ROA added more indian AA figures, the eagles nest, deer and other animals, the cabin themed for Mike Fink, and the whole story line that the river is made up of the four famous rivers in America - Mississippi, Potomac, Columbia, and Rio Grande. That was opened early this year.

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember now.

stan4d_steph
12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

When Star Tours reopens, I think you will find out if they are planning anythign with thePeople Mover track, because you will see how they integrated the track with the new queue. Hopefully they didn't rip it out.I agree with your assessment. It's possible they have drawn up plans, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some blue sky plans drawn up. However, any serious plan are likely a ways off until the current things are executed.

Kuzcofan
12-31-2010, 04:13 PM
I seriously doubt that it would be considered to be doing well enough, being that it was only #1 at the box office for one week. With it going down the list week after week, it's level of income drops. The hype leading up to the release was high, but it has since depleted. It won't be enough to get the powers that be to do something about the peoplemover. It's not getting the same fan response & demand that Captain EO got once Michael Jackson passed away. Granted the peoplemover is a lot more popular than EO ever was, but it appears that most people have moved on. No pun intended.

I kind of think Disney missed out on a great marketing idea too. They should have re-released the first Tron...I saw the first Tron in theaters so I really do not remember it that much. If Disney would have released Tron on dvd or blueray before Tron Revolution came lout I think more people would have seen it.

The old man
01-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Anything major at DCA definitely has a movie tie in--Toy Story, Cars, Little Mermaid, even Silly Symphonies.

For me a major disappointment is no original songs since Pirates (?).

olegc
01-01-2011, 01:23 PM

well, HM was a little later, right? and then when the 98 refurb for Tomorrowland came out, was the music and song used in the Rocket Rods queue original? and the surf-guitar based music for Space Mountain was original - BUT - as far as a true song goes (with lyrics) - you're right, no attraction has had one for many many years.

aidensdaddy
01-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Anything major at DCA definitely has a movie tie in--Toy Story, Cars, Little Mermaid, even Silly Symphonies.

well, HM was a little later, right? and then when the 98 refurb for Tomorrowland came out, was the music and song used in the Rocket Rods queue original? and the surf-guitar based music for Space Mountain was original - BUT - as far as a true song goes (with lyrics) - you're right, no attraction has had one for many many years.

Yeah, well with "Pixarland" opening up on the opposite end of the Esplanade from Disneyland, it doesn't leave much room for anything original.

But what about the Golden Dreams song that came out in DCA? That had to be an original one.

Imaginears
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I kind of think Disney missed out on a great marketing idea too. They should have re-released the first Tron...I saw the first Tron in theaters so I really do not remember it that much. If Disney would have released Tron on dvd or blueray before Tron Revolution came lout I think more people would have seen it.

I agree completely. I tried for weeks to rent a copy of the original Tron from Blockbuster but it was always out. Disney hadn't released it wide so only one copy per store. I kept thinking Why don't they have the original out for purchase. It's unusual because movie companies usually love to market the original just enough to make you think your buying the new movie!;)

dznyphreak
01-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I agree completely. I tried for weeks to rent a copy of the original Tron from Blockbuster but it was always out. Disney hadn't released it wide so only one copy per store. I kept thinking Why don't they have the original out for purchase. It's unusual because movie companies usually love to market the original just enough to make you think your buying the new movie!;)

From what I heard they didn't want people seeing how outdated the original Tron is, dislike it for that reason, then assume Tron: Legacy wouldn't be worth seeing. I think that's a valid point.

Imaginears
01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
From what I heard they didn't want people seeing how outdated the original Tron is, dislike it for that reason, then assume Tron: Legacy wouldn't be worth seeing. I think that's a valid point.
This makes sense to a point. But considering that Tron Legacy is not a remake but a kind of continuation of the story of the original, it seems that a decent marketing campaign could have presented a cool dvd offering. In cases like this, Disney has to realize that for the adults, the movie is a nostalgia appeal. Something very powerful. I can't see being embarrassed about the limits of technology at the time. It wouldn't be embarrassed to release Steamboat Willie!

aidensdaddy
01-02-2011, 01:34 PM
This makes sense to a point. But considering that Tron Legacy is not a remake but a kind of continuation of the story of the original, it seems that a decent marketing campaign could have presented a cool dvd offering. In cases like this, Disney has to realize that for the adults, the movie is a nostalgia appeal. Something very powerful. I can't see being embarrassed about the limits of technology at the time. It wouldn't be embarrassed to release Steamboat Willie!

Look for a 2 disc or 3 disc dvd pack at Wal Mart with the original & legacy together when the new one is released on dvd.

Kuzcofan
01-02-2011, 04:14 PM
that is what I am hoping for. Will be interesting to see if they release it as a set.