PDA

View Full Version : Save the Carnation Cafe!

Toady The Eighth
04-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

The Carnation Cafe is one of my very favorite places in the park to eat.. I love their Turkey/Cranberry sandwich, and the atmosphere and service are wonderful.. But when we were there last week, one of the servers was saying that Disney was probably going to close the restaurant!!:crying: This makes me very sad...

I'm going to write a letter, I guess. Has anyone else heard this?

DisneyFan25863
04-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I love that place! Anyone know of a good site where I can put a petition?

Bill Catherall
04-29-2003, 02:35 PM
We ate there last week for the first time and I love it. I hope they keep it because I really look forward to eating there again when we return.

The faux brick surface looked like it could use some touching up and repair, but the service was great and the food was wonderful.

Disney, do the right thing...please!

By the way DisneyFan25863, online petitions don't do any good.

Andrew
04-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Wow, serious deja vu.

Tref
04-29-2003, 02:48 PM
How sad! I love the Carnation Cafe. We eat there every visit without fail. I would hate to see it go. We always get a cup of coffee and sweet roll, or honey bun ... or whatever those things are called. Anyway, they're great. Maybe a letter to Carnation may help. Maybe they didn't think anybody cared. I'll write a letter and I'll post here if they respond.
I.r.

bzbex
04-29-2003, 02:52 PM
I go to the park with my 8 yr old and my 1 yr old. It is the only Casual sit down service restaurant in the park!! I'd hate to have to leave the park to get a service meal. Trust me when I say you don't want to try to hold a baby, hold a tray of food and keep an eye on an excited 8 yr old boy. This will be a real inconvenience for me. Does anyone know if they will be replacing it?

zapppop
04-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have any evidence that TDA will close it ?
CM's tend to say allot of things that aren't always true.

innerSpaceman
04-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Hmpfh. Haven't really gone to the Carnation Cafe since they got rid of the ice cream fountain and replaced it with that bakery.

I would follow every meal at Carnation (even breakfast) with one of those fabulous ice cream sundaes. Once that was gone, Carnation was out for me.

(Why bother to be "Carnation" if you're not gonna serve ice cream?)

Klutch
04-29-2003, 04:04 PM
I feel fortunate that I got to share the Carnation cafe with my family during my 1996 visit. It was a favorite of mine as a child.

During my visit last October, we ate at the much scaled-down Cafe. Now it seems that too will close.

Alas, changes aren't permanent, but change is.

cstephens
04-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
(Why bother to be "Carnation" if you're not gonna serve ice cream?)

They serve a banana split and some other dessert that includes ice cream. Does that count?

lazyboy97O
04-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I love that place! Anyone know of a good site where I can put a petition?

Try Petition! Petition! (http://petitionpetition.com/)
Oh, um... ya, save the Carnation Cafe. (Don't remember it, sorry)

Ace
04-29-2003, 05:04 PM
1) Why would they close it? What else could they put there?

2) I have to agree in saying that online petitions are pretty useless.

CarlieB
04-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooo!

The Carnation Cafe was the first place I ever went at Disneyland, and I have very fond memories of that morning. I had just arrived in LA off a 12 hour flight from New Zealand, and a coffee was just what I needed. We sat outside and watched everyone walking down Main St while we got our bearings and decided what to do first....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:-(

zapppop
04-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Once again,

before everyone gets bent out of shape, does anyone have any evidence to prove that Carnation Cafe is in any danger of closing ?

Some CM's say allot of things that aren't true.

innerSpaceman
04-29-2003, 07:04 PM
What's the difference if it's closing or not (for the purposes of this discussion, that is)? We need more grist for the mill, more topics for threads, and we might as well talk about every fly-by-night Disneyland rumour that comes down the pike.

Bill Catherall
04-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
They serve a banana split and some other dessert that includes ice cream. Does that count? I had a very delicious strawberry shortcake sundae there. It was a huge pile (about a foot tall) of icecream on a thick slab of shortcake dripping with strawberries. Mmmmmmmm...

As for the closing, perhaps it will close, but not permanently. As I mentioned before, the pavement is in poor condition and in need of rework. Maybe they really will close it, fix it up, then reopen it. The OP doesn't say the CM said it was going to be gone forever.

So, yeah...confirmation would be good. I hate to get my undies in a wad over false rumors.

tikiboy
04-29-2003, 07:41 PM
When I first started working at Disneyland and at Carnation Main Street, people always said, "They're going to close us down! They're going to close us down!"

Well, they finally closed the old version. And I have to say that being "Fountaineer" is still my favorite of all the jobs I've had. And that's saying something.

Then they opened bakery and Carnation Cafe. It took about 2 weeks for everyone to say "They're going to close the cafe down! They're going to close the cafe down!"

Basically, people have been saying that for a long time. I'm not surprised to hear it again.

kisroo
04-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
So, yeah...confirmation would be good. I hate to get my undies in a wad over false rumors. [/B]

Oh, c'mon Bill! how else would we all get our required daily amount of exercise without jumping to conclusions?!;)
I, too, love the Cafe and would hate to see it close. I'd miss the generous sandwiches-I'd get one for lunch and finish it off for dinner! And the kids "make your own sandwich" platter is so cool! Hope it's still there when we make it there next year! :)

Toady The Eighth
04-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by tikiboy
When I first started working at Disneyland and at Carnation Main Street, people always said, "They're going to close us down! They're going to close us down!"

Well, they finally closed the old version. And I have to say that being "Fountaineer" is still my favorite of all the jobs I've had. And that's saying something.

Then they opened bakery and Carnation Cafe. It took about 2 weeks for everyone to say "They're going to close the cafe down! They're going to close the cafe down!"

Basically, people have been saying that for a long time. I'm not surprised to hear it again.

That's good to hear... I hope you're right and it doesn't close!

Toady The Eighth
05-03-2003, 09:08 AM
5/02/2003
I recieved the following email, after writing in:

Dear Shannon,

Thank you for your e-mail to the Disneyland Resort.

We do not have any plans to close the Carnation Cafe at this time.

Again, Shannon, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have
the opportunity to visit the Disneyland Resort soon and trust your visit will be
pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Allison Matthews
Disneyland Resort
Guest Communications

Tigertail777
05-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Dear Shannon;
please stop calling us and writing us, PLEASE our letter bins are over flowing! We know you are greatly concerned about the water fountains being removed on Main st., but they are only being moved a foot and a half. Shannon for the love of god stop writing! we are already fueling the steam train 5 times daily with your letters and still they pour out of our offices.

Sincerely yours, the management.

LOL sorry Shannon couldn't help it:D the voice of unreasonable sarcasm rears its ugly head.:D

Andrew
05-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Dear [omitted]:
Thank you for taking the time to write to us at Disneyland. We appreciate your interest in Disneyland.
Please be assured that, while we are looking at making improvements to a number of Disneyland food facilities, we trust that these changes will improve our Guests' overall food experience.

We would also like to express our commitment to maintaining the spirit and intent of each restaurant for its place in time and thematic function. We have shared a copy of your letter with our Food Operations Division so that they too will be aware of your concerns.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. Your interest is appreciated. We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit the Magic Kingdom and that your stay is pleasant in all respects.

Sincerely,
[omitted]
Guest Communications

By the way, this email was received in December '96.