PDA

View Full Version : Your Experience With Waiting List? [Grand Californian Villas]

fairestoneofall
12-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I just tried to book at 2BR villa at the Grand Californian and there wasn't any availability. The CM placed me on the waiting list and said that they would email me if my request became available. I'm sure that this is standard procedure. Anyhow, the request is only for one night, but it's a Friday night (2/11), have any of you had any luck with waiting lists on less than two months notice at the GCH?

Toocherie
12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes--I had luck with a studio for next Tuesday--I waitlisted maybe a month and a half ago and it came through within two weeks. Two bedrooms are the least requested (according to my old guide) and I don't think Feb. is that busy so you might be in luck!

mulansgirl
12-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I did this for my daughters birthday and we actually got the room for the two nights like we wanted, I would have taken one if it was all that came up. The cast member who helped me was so very nice. I think we got on the wait list a month in advance or less than. It was a couple months ago and my memory has been gone since about then. I hope that helps a little. We got a studio room for a Sunday and Monday. Good luck, I thought it was never going to happen but I was very happy it did.

fairestoneofall
12-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Thank you all for the feedback, I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

fairestoneofall
12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I got the email this afternoon that my vacation request was filled! YAY for waiting lists!

currence
12-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Congratulations!!! We are on a waiting list for 1 night at AKL for the same room as our other 5 nights (we have a backup room at AKL in a different category for that night). I'm not holding my breath since we need "our" room to become available and not just "any" room, but I'm glad to see that it worked out for you and the others that posted notes of encouragement.

Have a great trip!

fairestoneofall
12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you, currence. This will actually be our first DVC stay! Good luck to you on yours.

gfjeanniemarie
12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
So as of today we are offically on the waiting list for purchasing points for the sold out Grand Californian Villas! I am so excited! Has anyone else been put on the waiting list? If so, how long did you wait? I hope it happens quickly so we can book our 2011 trip. During July-Aug how hard is it to book at 5-7 mths out for this property?
I had to share my excitement with people that would appreciate it!:fez:

Drince88
12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
That's very cool!

I think the only way Disney has points to sell to you is if it exercises it's right of first refusal on a resale in the 'private' sector. Did you look at buying a resale - vs directly from Disney? Might be faster.

Toocherie
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
the other way Disney might have points to sell you is if a pending sale doesn't go through for some reason. Since GCV sold out so recently I don't think we really have a good "feel" for how long it will take--but congrats on being on the waitlist! As for booking 5-7 months out, again the resort is so new we don't know how things will shake out but my experience SO FAR is that booking at 7 months hasn't been a major issue--for busy summer months 5 months might be pushing it--but you can go on a waitlist there too (which I have had good success with).

fairestoneofall
05-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Well, I just had my second attempt at a wait list for VGC and it didn't pan out. Not the end of the world, we have a lovely room booked at the DLH for our anniversary next weekend. I'll be trying to wait list the VGC again in October for the Trick or Treat Party.

Mermaid
05-22-2011, 10:28 AM
How do the points work out for a stay at DLH or PPH?

If there is no availability at GCV, can you ask to go on the waitlist for say "any Fri-Mon or Sat-Tues in Feb" or do you just have to pick one date range?

fairestoneofall
05-22-2011, 10:59 AM
How do the points work out for a stay at DLH or PPH?

If there is no availability at GCV, can you ask to go on the waitlist for say "any Fri-Mon or Sat-Tues in Feb" or do you just have to pick one date range?
You can use point at DLH, but we do not. It's a higher point value since it's not a DVC resort.
When wait listing or booking you do need to give specific dates.

Mermaid
05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks- can you give a few different dates when waitlisting?

GusMan
05-23-2011, 04:35 AM
Not sure about different date ranges, but I do know that they need to be consecutive dates. They got rid of the "day by day" waitlisting a couple years ago.

Dont get this confused with a split stay, as they are allowed and are usually done via two separate reservations.

fairestoneofall
05-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks- can you give a few different dates when waitlisting?
I don't see why not. Until Saturday, I had two wait lists going, for two different properties. I had the one at VGC and I still have one for a week at BLT in January. I already have that week booked at AKV, but I'd like to try BLT if it becomes available.

jsilkey
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
We booked for Sept at GCH using the special new customer booking that gives supposedly better availability (allows new owners to book from the cash inventory is what the guide explained). This was in April, we had just bought in March. We could only get the room we wanted for Sept 7, 8, 9, but not for the 5th and 6th. We went on the wait list for the other 2 nights. We needed to bank the points by May 31st, so that was my wait list deadline. About 3.5 weeks after going on the wait list, we got an e-mail and they booked us the other 2 nights! I don't know if requests are always filled that efficiently from the wait list...but so far, I am super impressed!

Toocherie
05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Mermaid: just keep in mind that you can only have TWO active waitlists for a membership. So you couldn't waitlist three weekends in a month--you could only waitlist two. And you need to be specific.

Or you couldn't waitlist a certain date at ANY resort in WDW--you have to specify where (and each room category--i.e., standard view, boardwalk view) counts as a different waitlist. It is very limited now as to the "old days" when you could say I'll waitlist these dates for any room category.

fairestoneofall
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Mermaid: just keep in mind that you can only have TWO active waitlists for a membership. So you couldn't waitlist three weekends in a month--you could only waitlist two. And you need to be specific.

I didn't know this! Thanks!

Mermaid
05-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Or you couldn't waitlist a certain date at ANY resort in WDW--you have to specify where (and each room category--i.e., standard view, boardwalk view) counts as a different waitlist. It is very limited now as to the "old days" when you could say I'll waitlist these dates for any room category.

Thanks! That is all good to know.

Mermaid
06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
I am currently on the wait list for 2 days at GCV. I have the third day booked. If the Fri become available, and I am next, will I get that date and continue to wait on the Saturday? Or am I waiting for both Friday and Saturday to open up before I am matched? I am trying to decide if it is worth it to call once a week or so about the individual days or if that is unnecessary. Thanks!

GusMan
06-30-2011, 07:54 AM
A while back, they stopped doing day-by-day wait lists. Unless you have separate reservations for each day, I think your waitlist spans the whole reservation and its all or nothing. Someone who has better experience at such waitlist configurations can surely correct me if need be.

When your waitlist request is fulfilled, you will get a conformation note of such and you should be able to see your ressie info at DVCMember.com. There really is no need to call.