PDA

View Full Version : Little Mermaid Attraction

Pages : [1] 2

nutty4disney
12-13-2010, 10:59 AM
When we went to Disneyland in May 2009 there was an area boxed off that said future home of The Little Mermaid ride. We are planning on returning to Disneyland in May 2011 and I was wondering what the status was of the ride? Will it be done by then, if not does anyone know when? Thanks for all your help, I am really looking forward to this ride.

cstephens
12-13-2010, 11:11 AM
When we went to Disneyland in May 2009 there was an area boxed off that said future home of The Little Mermaid ride. We are planning on returning to Disneyland in May 2011 and I was wondering what the status was of the ride? Will it be done by then, if not does anyone know when? Thanks for all your help, I am really looking forward to this ride.

The new ride for The Little Mermaid is actually in Disney California Adventure, not Disneyland, and it's scheduled to open in April 2011, so it should be open if your trip is in May.

nutty4disney
12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry I meant California Adv. Park. Thank you! That makes me happy I really want to ride it.

Michael24
12-13-2010, 11:17 AM
All I can say is, it's about time they have a Little Mermaid ride. I only wish it was at Disneyland and not California Adventure. But my next trip is probably going to be sometime in February, so unfortunately I might not get to see it until 2012!! :eek:

carolinakid
12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll probably catch it at WDW before DL as I'm not planning to return to the west coast till the DCA redo is complete (probably 2013 or 2014), but I'm anxious to experience this attraction.

candles71
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
The new ride for The Little Mermaid is actually in Disney California Adventure, not Disneyland, and it's scheduled to open in April 2011, so it should be open if your trip is in May.

Do we have an approximate date yet? There are 30 days in April, ya know;). We usually go late April after Spring Break rush, but Easter isn't til late April so we are playing with Early April/ Late March for B's grad trip. Now quietly praying for soft openings......;)

disney42dude
12-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I thought I had read or heard somewhere that it had been pushed back to "Summer 2011." I don't think it will open until May or June. I may be wrong, of course, and will be thrilled if it opens as soon as April!

AJDerrick
12-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I've always heard 'Spring' which I translate into Memorial Day weekend. Who knows.

fairestoneofall
12-13-2010, 05:18 PM
As of last week, the construction walls actually said Spring 2011.

3Princesses1Prince
12-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I had heard May too.

TowerofTerror
12-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I hear it be most likely june or late may

ogold72
12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Im really hoping that it opens for Memorial Day weekend. We are arriving to DL the day after the holiday. I planned our visit with the opening of the attraction in mind

disney42dude
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I hear it be most likely june or late may

That's what I heard too...possibly in the updated vid in the Blue Sky Cellar???

aidensdaddy
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
That's what I heard too...possibly in the updated vid in the Blue Sky Cellar???

I was there yesterday and all it said was "Coming in 2011."

Based on the fact that they haven't set a date yet, I guess it's safe to say that they haven't come to an agreement on it yet. Being that the Food & Wine Festival isn't happening this year, the won't have a crowd in April to present the new ride to. So one might think Memorial Day, or sometime in May, would be a good time.

But Disney likes to pull out all the stops to continue having 12 months of a crowded resort. So that tells me a March or April date could present itself, if the ride is ready to go by then.

But walking by it yesterday, I saw they're still working on it. The very front of it that rests across from the World of Color viewing area is a tunnel that is supposed to be the beginning of the ride, per the layouts in Blue Sky Cellar. And it was still being constructed & doesn't have a roof on it yet. So much work has yet to be finished on it, so mid to late Spring is a safe bet at this point.

animal24
12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
My only fear is that it might be something like Monsters Inc. The only thing that is remotely interesting to me on that ride is the yellow worm at the end, how she says cheese if your taking a picture, or comments on what you are wearing. If they put the effort, and the capital into the little mermaid, it could be interesting. I've seen the concepts for cars land, and they look decent. I've noticed a change about the ride vehicles for the little mermaid. Where they were shell shaped copies of the omnimover system from the past they now dont have a moving front piece. If they are just characters with their heads moving though, count me out.

SigalTchelet
12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
It seems it would have been a natural to make this a water ride like POTC or IASW. I hope it is open in May.

animal24
12-27-2010, 12:37 PM
It seems it would have been a natural to make this a water ride like POTC or IASW. I hope it is open in May.

If you go to the blue sky cellar in DCA you can see their concepts and models of the sea shell omnimover system. The only place in california the omnimover is now is in The Haunted Mansion. They are using fancy lighting and cool moist air to make you feel like you are under water.

Seashellmama
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
They are using fancy lighting and cool moist air to make you feel like you are under water.

This sounds like it will be a nice ride to go on when one is having a bit of Croup.

ScottC4746
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM

I had heard originally it was to open February 2011, but I guess with all of the rains we have had in Southern California it got pushed back awhile.

aidensdaddy
12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
I had heard originally it was to open February 2011, but I guess with all of the rains we have had in Southern California it got pushed back awhile.

With the way the front of it looks, and I was there last week, it is no where near being done for a February opening. Expect an April or May opening for it.

potzbie
12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
My only fear is that it might be something like Monsters Inc. The only thing that is remotely interesting to me on that ride is the yellow worm at the end, how she says cheese if your taking a picture, or comments on what you are wearing.

You mean, "Roz"?
The female employee with eyeglasses and the slow raspy voice?
The paperwork maven?

"Yellow worm"??? :eek:

cstephens
12-27-2010, 11:18 PM

I don't recall ever hearing February. Since the beginning, I've heard Spring/April.

And I don't see how the rains would have anything to do with its opening date.

aidensdaddy
12-27-2010, 11:39 PM

I could see how it could happen, if crews didn't prepare for the rains well enough. When I was there last week, I saw that the front of it wasn't finished to the point where it would be covered well enough. And if the crews didn't prepare accordingly, or just didn't finish that section, it could be affected a lot, with the type of rain we had. Those series of storms that hit over the 7 days before Christmas had a lot of wind with them, bring the rain in nearly sideways at times.

animal24
12-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Well construction probably stops on rainy days. But all of the crafts people working to build the characters and ride vehicles and such are probably working simutaneously. I'm sure that if the showroom building was holding up the opening of the ride, they could work it around the clock.

You mean, "Roz"?
The female employee with eyeglasses and the slow raspy voice?
The paperwork maven?

"Yellow worm"??? :eek:
well technically not female, but point taken.

kiowa
12-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Agreed, i'm sure they budget in lost days of work into the schedule.