PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Cruise Rehab?

disneyhead
08-07-2001, 05:49 AM
I went to the Shows and Parades Schedule page on Disney.com and searched Dec. 8-11. all that came up was a Jungle Cruise Rehab. Al didn't mention it in today's update, so I was wondering what is up. Any info please.

Napsto
08-07-2001, 12:08 PM
any cm's know about this?

DisneylandKid
08-07-2001, 06:00 PM
I doubt it is anything to get excited about. It is only about a week. What could they do??

Napsto
08-08-2001, 12:31 AM
you never know.

Jenlan2001
08-08-2001, 04:22 PM
It's also been reported down the week before ( first week of Dec.) I'm a tad upset, as I'll be taking my 4 year old for his first trip and he would love JC.

Napsto
08-08-2001, 07:40 PM
i downloaded this jungle cruize thing on a file sharing program and it was really wierd because it was similar to the voice from the train and he was giving a serious tour. does anybody know what i am talking about?

Mr D
08-08-2001, 07:47 PM
Not in the least I guess I am too preoccupied with "catching the wave" at TDS.;)

Disney Princess
08-08-2001, 09:32 PM
Yes I know what you're talking about, Napsto---

the Jungle Cruise file you downloaded is a record (that would be an LP tranferred onto mp3) that is circa 1962. Can you hear the crackling and snapping in the background?

How do we know the year? Well, it must be around that time because that is when the African Veldt and Lost Safari scenes were added, and the Elephant pool was upgraded. The next major rehab didn't come till 1976, when the scenes with the Natives and I believe the gorilla camp made their debut. (If you listen carefully to the Attacking Natives, one allegedly says at the end of the sequence "I love disco" very quickly).

Also, the record is serious, as not until recently (as in the past 15-20 years) were humourous spiels approved. The entire ride was intended from the first to be a serious trip down "the rivers of adventure", exept when deliberate comedic elements came into play (such as the Lost Safari). But the experience was not the pun-filled one we have today (at least not officially) until more recent times. Skippers who told jokes that detracted fromm the seriousness of the attraction were fired. One such case--the Skipper saw that Schweitzer Falls was off and no water was coming out (this was sometime in the sixties I think) and quipped "I think Uncle Walt forgot to pay the water bill." He was found out eventually and promptly fired. Also interesting to note, that until recently there were no female Skippers.

And yes, the voice you have on the record is a much younger Thurl Ravenscroft, the Disney legend who has done the Railroed Narrations, Tongaroa in the Tiki Garden, and one of the singing busts in the Haunted Mansion (the one who people always think is Walt Disney). (He's also Tony the Tiger.) This also dates the record to on or around the period in the sixties when Ravenscroft did so much for the park. Also note the unpolitically correct and even ever-so-slightly racist undertones, such as with the "seldom seen by civilized man" comment and the "low man on the totem pole" remark.

So where does this leave us? The short answer: What you have is a serious recording of a spiel by Thurl Ravenscroft that was on LP circa 1962.

Fun huh?

It IS quite a contrast from what we have today, isn't it?

Now that you know what it is, what do you think about it?

--Disney Princess

"And if you don't believe me, you must be in de-nile."
--Jungle Cruise Skipper

Napsto
08-08-2001, 11:34 PM
thank you for my history lesson.

Disney Princess
08-09-2001, 09:49 AM
You're welcome.:D

(I think I got a little carried away, but what can I say?)

:)

--Disney Princess

PirateoftheCaribbean
08-09-2001, 12:23 PM
I'm just happy they're paying at least a little attention to one of the classics.:)

liveoakley
08-09-2001, 12:38 PM
This recording can be found on side b of the original tiki room doundtrack recording on vinyl.