PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Tommorowland closures...

Christiii
04-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Im just kind curious...anyone know why they shut down the water sprinkler ball thingy in the middle of tommorowland?? I always thought it wa really cheesy and low budjet for Disneyland, but it sure is worse now to not even have it running at all is even worse!!

MonorailMan
04-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Ahh... yes Cosmic Waves.

Here's the scoop:

When kids were playing in it, the water got very un-sanitary, so they had to bump up the chlorine in it. This caused the rubber foam to eat away. So, now, no more fountain, just a ball, like WDW. :)

The MPers had some sort of CW ritual. It's become a large part of the community. http://members.aol.com/chorusforus/images/fez.gif

cheesy and low budjet for Disneyland

See: DCA, Innoventions, Pooh!

DisneyFan25863
04-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Two words: Public Bath

In the middle of summer, I remember naked little 3 year olds running around in it. This is while their parents were standing about 5 feet away watching them. Not saying a word :rolleyes:

Of course, now its a planter, so it fits nicely in the new theme of tommowland: "We have everything here except things from the future" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rexfarms
04-26-2003, 03:17 PM
It did add another thing to stop and look at for a few mins in Tomorrowland. I went once and the ball was not spinning. The water on the bottom was not being pumped on one side, so the ball rested on the dry side of the fountain under it.

lazyboy97O
04-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Two words: Public Bath

In the middle of summer, I remember naked little 3 year olds running around in it. This is while their parents were standing about 5 feet away watching them. Not saying a word :rolleyes:

Of course, now its a planter, so it fits nicely in the new theme of tommowland: "We have everything here except things from the future" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's just like the fountain's here at Centenial Olympic Park. I can't beleive I was upset that I moved before the '98 Tomorrowland opened. This seems to be a stupid idea that never got anywhere. Futurism is a rather hard thing to do, especially without a big futurist heading everything. They need to go back to the old sci-fi future.

RStar
04-28-2003, 11:08 AM
My friend is one of the plumbers who had to work on it, and he called it a "Cosmic pain in the butt". The main problem he says, is that they installed cheep valves that weren't really ment to take that much of a beating. The system with the computer and all was very complicated, and if someone hit the stop button, it would take so long to restart the system that most of the time they didn't even bother untill the next day. But the vavles are why it was down so much, and parts would work while others didn't. But the cost to re-valve would be higher than the original cost to build (almost).

And that, with all the other issues above, and others like wet seats in HISTA, they decided to do what they've done to it (what ever you want to call THAT!)..............

merlinjones
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Love that futuristic ring of potted plants from Home Depot.

jrad32
04-28-2003, 12:02 PM
As far as I can tell the future is going to be potted plants, and empty bronze buildings as far as the eye can see.

Tref
04-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Gosh, I liked Cosmic Waves! I was sorry to see it go.
I.r.

Morrigoon
04-28-2003, 01:04 PM
I think they should kick the Radio Disney guys out of their booth, put the Lunch Pad back in, and turn that whole Cosmic Waves area into a SHADY seating area with little squirty fountains (like the jumping ones at Epcot).

And uhm... put some attractions in the land too. Right now Tomorrowland is basically a place to eat.

jrad32
04-28-2003, 01:14 PM
You mean you don't consider potted plants and an unused peoplemover track attractions?;)

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

And uhm... put some attractions in the land too. Right now Tomorrowland is basically a place to eat.

If even....:rolleyes:

merlinjones
04-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Perhaps they are now portraying a post-nuclear future. Or the future after SARS...

innerSpaceman
04-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Hmmm, how does Apocalypseland sound?

Better than Discoveryland, if you ask me, and far more descriptive.

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Hmmm, how does Apocalypseland sound?

Sounds good to me, almost like the part from Escape from LA.;)

Not Afraid
04-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Love that futuristic ring of potted plants from Home Depot.

Those are Pomegranate trees! They go along with the vegetables planted in the planters. Duh. You get it now, don't you????

(Well, don't feel bad. I don't either)

merlinjones
04-28-2003, 06:35 PM
>>Hmmm, how does Apocalypseland sound?<<

Goes with the color scheme.

Maybe they could add a "Soylent Green" experience. bring the tractors over from DCA and doze the crowds during summer.

Or "Logan's Run" - - When you become an AP, they lead you into the Carousel building and you are bored to death!

Plywood is highly valued in the treeless future, you know.

Jules Verne is a God in the future, but no one can afford to honor him properly.

Be careful, Big Brother Observatron is watching!

And the PA system plays "Brazil" over and over...

SueinSac
04-28-2003, 06:43 PM
So I guess now we know why Cynthia & Paul focused so much on restaurants and retail...that's about all that's left of Tomorrowland 98! They had such amazing foresight!

Sue in Sacramento

DisneyFan25863
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Tommowland actually does have a story. It's that the moon is about to crash into the earth, so we have to all go to Endor to avoid being blasted into a bivillion.

:D

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 07:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!:rolleyes: ;)

Not Afraid
04-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

[B]Soylent Green is People!!!!!!!!!!!

merlinjones
04-28-2003, 09:22 PM
LOL! Next time you see the Observatron flop around, or people climb on the Big Dry Marble surrounded by planters, just scream.... "Soylent green is people!!!!"

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Too funny. :D :D