PDA

View Full Version : Idea - Move Flynn's Arcade from DCA to Tomorrowland?

aidensdaddy
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM
For the other thread about ElecTRONica, click here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=158274).

Well, we all know that eventually at some point though not clear or even confirmed, that ElecTRONica over at DCA will end once the hype for the new film is done. For those that don't know, in the old Hollywood & Dine building is Flynn's Arcade which houses almost every old arcade game from back in the day including the old Tron arcade game, as well as some new ones that can be found outside the building.

But once it's gone, then what?

So here's an idea and I've included a poll to get everyone's opinion about it. Starcade over in Tomorrowland has been lacking as of lately. It may pick up a few people here and there that exit Space Mountain, but it certainly has been short of it's splendor that it had in the 80's & 90's. Once in a while, or at least you used to, you could find a couple people crowded around the one or two air hockey games. Or a small group watching the skilled dancers or guitarist on Dance Mania or Guitar Hero. The air hockey tables and most of the pinball games used to be located on the second floor with an X-Wing staring you down as you go up the escalator.

So how about moving Flynn's arcade to Tomorrowland and replace Starcade? Granted, Starcade has been there for a years, but I can't imagine it being a treasured piece of Disney fan history to even the most hardcore fans like me. (But that is just my opinion, so if there are a few, please forgive me.)

I think they should reopen the second floor to allow room for the hockey tables and pinball games, as well as a few of the newer games. And use the first floor for the older, old school games they have over at DCA and call the whole thing Flynn's arcade. Now, here's the kicker that might rattle a few nerves for the hardcore enthusiasts. The X-Wing has got to go. It's been hanging there, only noticeable for those at the escalator that look up, or those waiting in a long line for Space Mountain. But I'm not saying to totally get rid of it, but perhaps place it somewhere else. Maybe back in the rafters in Star Traders where it was originally, above the Star Wars gift shop Star Tours riders exit into, or above the Star Tours queue. If any of that is even possible. Cause from what I saw, Flynn's is doing REALLY GOOD right now and attracting a lot of people while it's still up. So much to the point I think they need a few more copies of the original arcade game to keep up with the demand. But what does everyone else think? And don't forget the poll.

Bytebear
12-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I just experienced elecTRONica last night for the first time, and I was very impressed. The them and style as really what Tommorrow land should be like at night (or at least a part of it.) Unfortunately space is at a premium in Tomorrowland and so I think it would be difficult to pull off.

That said, I agree that Flynn's was really cool. It was crowded and people were actually dumping money into video games that you can get on your cell phone for a few bucks. But it was the nostalgia, the retro 80s music, and the energy that made it fun. There was actually a line of 5 people waiting to play Tron, and you were hard pressed to find a game that wasn't occupied. It was smart to keep the number of games low. i think there were maybe 50 games total, and if there were hundreds, in a massive room, it wouldn't have worked.

But the problem with putting Flynn's where the Starcade is, is that the starcade is in a back corridor, which doesn't have the same atmosphere surrounding it.

So, my idea would be to move the whole elecTRONica to Tomorrowland. I would redesign the Innovations building so it looks like the futuristic city in Tron (or whatever that building is) but there were glimpses of it in the promo video (which was really well done and could be an attraction of it's own).

Anyway, have Flynn's arcade be the entrance to the building. You have it be a true replica of the set, with the arcade in the front, and a back office that is done somewhat like Indiana Jones's office, where you see the set prop, but can;t actually touch anything, This is really just an open hallway that as you go deeper in you enter the large building space which is the world of Tron. There would have the blue and white glowing light, the DJ and the dancers, a few stages for small shows like the laser guy which was really cool. And have a place to watch the movie and just have the high energy of elecTRONica.

TowerofTerror
12-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I think its a great idea to bring it Tomorrowland when it it done at DCA

IllusionOfLife
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I agree with the ultimate goal of preserving Flynn's Arcade, however, I don't think Tomorrowland is the proper venue.

Theme-wise, yes, Tomorrowland would be perfect, especially considering the TRON ride that Disney has recent green lit would likely go there. However, there's a big issue of space. I think a better solution would ultimately be to keep Flynn's Arcade as a permanent installment in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. It works where it is right now, why go through the trouble of moving it? especially to a smaller venue. If Flynn's Arcade does stay, however, I would like to see some use put to the door behind the TRON game. The brought over the door from Comic-con, but ditched any sort of surprise behind it (at least to my knowledge).

I do agree, though, that the Starcade should be put out of its misery. What I propose there, though would be to re-route the exit of Space Mountain and combine that space with that of the Magic Eye theater to make space for a new attraction. Granted it's not a ton of extra space, but any extra room they can grab makes things more flexible for a long-term replacement of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience (and let's face it, Captain Eo is *not* a long-term replacement).

aidensdaddy
12-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Speaking of Captain EO, I think the funniest moment I will always remember was after they brought it back. My wife saw it for the first time and after we came out, I overheard some lady say to her friends "It's like Thriller meets Star Wars, and throw in the Borg." I laughed out loud and told her "Nice!"

ogold72
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I would go in there if there were any coll old school REAL arcade games. If they moved it to DCA, they could put the orginal TRON game in there. I wore that game out!

aidensdaddy
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I would go in there if there were any coll old school REAL arcade games. If they moved it to DCA, they could put the orginal TRON game in there. I wore that game out!

It is in DCA, and among they many old school games that are there, the old Tron arcade game is there. They only have one copy of it and I think they should have a couple more because a line develops for the one that they do have.

ogold72
12-07-2010, 02:25 PM
It is in DCA, and among they many old school games that are there, the old Tron arcade game is there. They only have one copy of it and I think they should have a couple more because a line develops for the one that they do have.

SWEET - where in DCA is the arcade located?

aidensdaddy
12-07-2010, 02:28 PM
SWEET - where in DCA is the arcade located?

In the Hollywood Backlot, in the old Hollywood & Dine building. Go down the main street in HB, go left towards Monsters Inc, and its in the back corner, to the right.

Now unless they've moved the games around, Tron is located along the backwall inside the arcade. And it takes tokens, so have some dollar bills ready. I think it took 2 tokens per play.

ogold72
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Is this a new addition? I never knew about it. Is it depicted in the park maps?

aidensdaddy
12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Is this a new addition? I never knew about it. Is it depicted in the park maps?

It is part of the ElecTRONica event that is over at DCA to promote the new film.

Here's the link for it:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/electronica/

As far as the park maps go, I haven't looked on the ones they have at the resort, I never need them.

I looked at the online map (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/maps/#/m=disneys-california-adventure), but it's not shown on it.

ogold72
12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Well Ill look for it when I get back to the parks in May. Maybe elecTRONica will be over by then and they will have moved it. Ill check it out for sure

thanks!

aidensdaddy
12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Well Ill look for it when I get back to the parks in May. Maybe elecTRONica will be over by then and they will have moved it. Ill check it out for sure

thanks!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I think it's a long shot for it still being there in May. Last I heard it may end in January and that was per just one cast member.

There was a thread created by a member asking when its supposed to end. You can find that thread by clicking here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=158274).

There's been different answers from different CM's. With such a large company like Disney, its understandable that no one is ever on the same page.

TRON
12-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Personally I think it is a great idea however it will end up after all the Tron hype is over with just like Starcade and just be another after thought.

I do like the idea of move the X-Wing out and placing it somewhere else.........I don't know…......like maybe where the Rockets are now and moving the Rockets back where they belong on top of the PM. The X-wing would not take up as much real-estate allowing for less of a bottleneck at the TL entrance from MS. Over all I think it would be more fitting to the entrance for TL, sorry I got off topic.

Flynn's Arcade would only have a short amount of popularity unless they can spawn squeals from it to keep it fresh in the guest minds. Also at the end of the day it is just an arcade, which most younger kids don't care for the "old school" games and I do not know too many adults that would pump quarters for a long time into any arcade games. I think they would be better off, if they could make an attraction their or just expanding on the gift shop. Like the OP said the Starcade has lost its luster.