PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Attraction Poster Book

merlinjones
04-26-2003, 11:56 AM
This seems like a no-brainer, but it hasn't been produced to date:

I'd love to have a large size coffee table book reproducing all variations of the beautiful, artful Disneyland silkscreened attraction posters, as displayed within the park. Not with ugly graphic layouts or fawning copy - - but just lush color full page reproductions of all the posters (nice printing, please!). I'm sure this would be a big seller.

Anyone out there from Disneyland merchandising?

lazyboy97O
04-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Merlin, that would be really cool. It's alsways fun to looks at the attraction posters as you meander into the park.

AVP
04-26-2003, 12:37 PM
merlinjones,

I have had long talks with Disneyland merchandising about the Attraction Posters - and why don't they DO anything with that amazing artwork!

Hopefully someone reads this, and believes that it's NOT JUST ME!

AVP

10krbell
04-26-2003, 12:47 PM
I know that we would have at least one copy if they ever printed something like that! I love that old artwork!!!

dsnylndmom
04-26-2003, 02:04 PM
I totally agree with you! I have always loved those old attraction posters, they are so nostalgic and just so "disneyland" if you know what I mean!!:D

04-26-2003, 02:43 PM
And what an attractive gift such a book would make! Why, I'll take several units, Mr. Publisher.

tod
04-26-2003, 03:27 PM
I, too, am in favor of such a book, but to do the largish graphics justice the book would have to be have a page size of 12" x 18" or bigger. Add to that the expense of multicolor printing (that Jungle Cruise poster on the west side of the west entrance tunnel, for example, was silkscreened in dozens of colors and to do it justice it should be printed that way rather than color-separated) and we're looking at a $100 book easy.

And if you think I'm overstating, go to any record store and look at the CD cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band -- reduced to 5" from its original 12" -- and you tell me how much they should be reduced.

--T
curmudgeonly this weekend, for some reason

Matterhorn Fan
04-26-2003, 03:39 PM
tod's right. If they do it right, it would be an expensive book, but so are all nice art books.

So it costs $100 (or more) if they do it right. I'll take one, please. (Or I'd ask someone to get me one for Christmas.)

MammaSilva
04-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Granted it's not likely that you would find such a book at say WalMart but then the people who would stand in line to buy are people who would be more than willing to pay for a quality book. I paid almost 50 dollars just for a biography of Walt.. 100 dollars for poster art... where do I sign up?

merlinjones
04-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Pretty much all the animation folks and old studio fans would buy a copy - - (people have been talking about this for years!) - - As well as anyone intersted in mid-century graphics or googie or travel posters or line art. There are a lot of crossover artsy geeks that would want this. And I think the general public would find it artful and appealing and nostalgic as well.

This can be printed exclusively for Disneyland (Gallery, Disneyana, Off the Page, World of Disney). It would sell for years in an expensive edition.

Once it proves popular, they can make a cheap paperbound version for the Emporium and such.

Postcards too, please.

And T-shirts (anything but white).

tod
04-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I paid almost 50 dollars just for a biography of Walt.. 100 dollars for poster art... where do I sign up?

I can relate. I spent $100 for the Frank-and-Ollie book -- the boxed edition -- in 1981, and recently got the $150 book about the movie Some Like It Hot. Even a text-only hardback will eat up most of $30 nowadays, unless you know where to look...

To say nothing of the books that increase in value over the years. I have a copy of -- okay, kids, avert your eyes -- The Playmate Book that has been signed by Hugh Hefner and... <pause> 95 Playmates that has appreciated over the years way past the $50 I paid for it off-the-rack.

This book we're talking about could fetch 3x the base price inside a few years.

--T
book collector, too.

lazyboy97O
04-26-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't see a problem with it being around $100 as long as it's a good book. Besides, Disney is almost synonomous with expensive merchandise.

MonorailMan
04-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

Yea! I could totally see myself wearing an ATIS t-shirt. Maybe a nice navy blue. ;)

DisneyFan25863
04-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

What about a Monorail one? It could come complete with little gears and sparks that fly off! :D

Not Afraid
04-26-2003, 09:36 PM
$100 now making it's way to the publisher for the Disneyland Attraction Poster Book.

Oh, you say there is no Disneyland Attraction Poster Book?

Well, darn! I was already to spend spend spend!

Disneyfreak
04-26-2003, 09:50 PM
My Grandfather printed those original posters. He still has original ones under his bed! I have seen them personally. He has the railroad, Hm, Inner Space, Peoplemover, Submarine Voyage, and much more. The only one he didnt print was Splash Mountain. He has them out of the sun under his bed so they are in great condition. But I dont know where you can get something like what your asking.

merlinjones
04-27-2003, 02:54 AM
The WDI archive has one of each poster (if Disneyland does not). I'm sure even collectors would help fill the gaps.

leota's necklace
05-02-2003, 12:12 PM
My hubby and I were talking about this at the Park this past weekend. He's an artist and designer and he was saying he'd love to see good quality books of Disney art. Big repros, like mentioned earlier in the thread, with no "fawing copy" (ditto), just pics of the art. Disney has produced so much incredible design over the last century, what with advertisement and product design and, well, everything. What got us really thinking about it was the "Snow White" muscle shirt they sell for junior sizes, printed with panels of comic-book art. We'd love to see those comics reprinted. Something like the "Disneyana" book available presently, but with little to no text and BIG pictures. Holy cow, the money we'd shell out for those, to get a peek into the archives....

So, yeah, hel-looo, Marketing, hope you're paying attention!