PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Graveyard

Matterhorn Fan
04-26-2003, 05:59 AM
When you enter the graveyard scene, you go backwards for a bit down that hill. Here's what I want to know: if you look to the right, can you see the "outside" of the attic?

Either I never noticed this before (totally possible) or that's a really nice touch they added in Florida. I'd love to check for myself, but I'm a little far away and I know a bunch of y'all will be there this weekend.

Ghoulish Delight
04-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Yes, it's there. There is a window and a roofline. I too always notice that and pine for the days when the name Disney was synonymous with that kind of overreaching detail.

Matterhorn Fan
04-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks, GD. I knew that looked familiar, but I didn't know if I was remembering something that I didn't notice in DL's very often or if I was remembering seeing that in WDW's nearly 8 years ago.

I guess I'm usually looking up at the bird at that point in the ride (?).

In any case, it's a nice detail; it reinforces that you've moved outside the Mansion at that point.

10krbell
04-26-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna have to look next trip! I'm always looking at that bird, or wishing that the hill was just a little longer so I could catch a quick cat nap ;-) Nice little bit of trivia that I and dh have never noticed!

Flippyshark
04-26-2003, 03:05 PM
That is one of my favorite details on the Mansion, however, here in Florida, it also results in a bit of a "mistake." The window and roofline that you are "coming out of" look more like the California mansion, and not like the Florida mansion that you are supposed to have been inside of.

MF - I'm surprised you noticed such small details considering what a lazy jerk you were sitting next to.

rexfarms
04-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Thats one of those things you notice, but dont really think about until somebody posts it.;)

Matterhorn Fan
04-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Flippyshark
MF - I'm surprised you noticed such small details considering what a lazy jerk you were sitting next to. :o

Well, I had to do something to make the ride enjoyable, since I was sitting next to a lazy jerk.

Really, though, I was looking for the stuff that was different from the Anaheim version. Believe it or not, I was doing the same thing on most of the other rides. Some differences *coughTikiRoomcough* were more obvious than others.

Matterhorn Fan
04-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Okay, wait just a minute. Flippyshark, I asked you about this last weekend. How can you be suprised that I noticed that? Or was your mind all befuddled due to TSI-induced heatstroke?

I'm so confused. :confused:

Mary Jo
04-27-2003, 06:14 AM
Someone told me that the window is 'broken' in that scene because someone was supposed to have thrown themselves out the attic window ... is that part of the storyline?

10krbell
04-27-2003, 07:09 AM
I think so...I'm not very strong in NOS trivia...I know the bride you see in the attic is waiting for her long lost fiance to return. He was lost at sea. I can't remember if she did throw herself out the window or not.

I'm sure that one fo the many more knowledgable people will correct me if I am wrong!

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Something like that. I know somewhere there is a site with the HM story at WDW but I have not seen one for the DLR's version.

Matterhorn Fan
04-27-2003, 12:44 PM
You can read all about the "story" at Doombuggies (www.doombuggies.com).

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 06:10 PM
The WDW story I was talking about had a numerous ammount of information about each ghost in the Mansion. Later on this evening I can try to find it again.

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Here it is, if you read about each ghost, the story tents to come together, but you can tell its WDW not DLR. http://members.aol.com/HtdMsn/gallery.html

Ghoulish Delight
04-27-2003, 10:48 PM
The other thing to remember is that the detailed stories of individual ghosts are compiled from CMs over the years, and were not part of the original though process of either ride.

WDW's had a cohesive storyline from the beginning. DL's never had a real story. It was basically, "We found this house, reconstructed it here, and it's haunted." That's about it. Walt wanted to leave it pretty open ended and general. Any storylines assigned to the Disneyland version are purely the creation of years of CMs' and visitors' imaginations. Not that I'm putting any of it down. I think it's great that people enjoy it enough to fill in their own story, that's part of the reason Walt wanted to leave it so open ended. But I personally perfer to look at it in from the non-storylined perspective, like I've stumbled across a strange haunted house with no knowledge of its history.

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 10:57 PM
I know what your saying but the story is still really cool. I kind of wish there was an official story.