PDA

View Full Version : Winnie the Pooh on April 25

mriverej6
04-26-2003, 12:54 AM
hey all. i just got back from disneyland today, and when i was on winnie the pooh ride it went down. my party was suck in the room of the animated pooh floating around.

i didnt get to take pictures of the ride with the lights on, because i forgot my digital camera in the locker, but.

all i can say about the ride with the lights on......

nothing but plywood!!!!

only the characters are three dimentional.

the upside for this is that more people get diverted to going to critter country and i have all of tomorrowland for myself, or well, whats left of it.

Christiii
04-26-2003, 01:06 PM
I WAAAAAAAAANT THE TOKYO POOH RIDE!! WWWAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! OK, Ill go breath in a paper bag now....:D

Ghoulish Delight
04-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Umm, yeah, it's a dark ride. Mr. Toads is nothing but cardboard cutouts. Pinnochio is nothing but cardboard cutouts.

I've never seen the Tokyo or the Florida version. I don't really care. Perhaps it is not a super innovative attraction, but from the standpoint of what it is rather than what it could be, it IS a top notch classic dark ride. Bright colors, some good 3D characters, and a few effects (old and new) put to good use. It follows in the long tadition of dark rides, taking standard theater tricks and putting them to good use. The Haunted Mansion is a good example. Ask the average person and one thing they almost always remember is the "swinging wake," the ballroom scene. It's a great effect, used to perfection. But it was hardly new and innovative. Sure the scale and context were new, but it is simply the "Pepper's Ghost" effect used on stage for over 100 years before it was in the Mansion.

People need to get over the question of whether there is new technology or effects and focus on whether the effects that ARE there are done effectively (haha, effect..effective. Anyway...). To me, the rain and puddles, the disembodied Pooh (Pepper's Ghost again), the projected Pooh (a la the corquet scene in Alice), and the swirling honey pool are all executed magnificently. That's enough, as a dark ride fan, to make me happy. The only slight knock I would have is that the story line is not particularly cohesive. But, have you ridden Snow White recently?

Christiii
04-26-2003, 04:51 PM
I would feel the same as you Goulish, if I hadnt seen the Tokyo vidoe...honestly I love Disneyland, and always want to believe that they are doing their best...I really am not looking for NEW technology, but when you see what has already been done in Tokyo, it makes you wonder why our ride was scaled down out 90%.....seriously... I just dont get it, since they dont need to pay a designer..just copy the darn thing!!

GeminiAngel
04-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
it IS a top notch classic dark ride. Bright colors, some good 3D characters, and a few effects (old and new) put to good use. It follows in the long tadition of dark rides, taking standard theater tricks and putting them to good use.
People need to get over the question of whether there is new technology or effects

Well said, sometimes less is more.;)

JPIVERSON
04-28-2003, 01:05 PM
The funiest thing my family and I found with this ride was when the Hefalump farts. That was a Hefalump, wasn't it?