PDA

View Full Version : Sweet mango chutney

Pages : [1] 2

RideMax Mark
04-25-2003, 07:16 AM
OK, my wife's friend made her a sort of "bet" that she wouldn't be able to find the barrell at Disneyland or DCA containing "Sweet Mango Chutney." I'm assuming this is something the park sells in small jars or something.

Knowing the vast knowlege of this group, I just had to ask -- does anyone know where in the park I might find this?

Thanks!

Kevin Yee
04-25-2003, 07:48 AM
There aren't too many barrells. Main St. Market has some, there are several scattered around New Orleans Square (including in shops). The latter is a likely answer.

But my guess would have to be one of those barrells on TSI, where the dragon lives.

I'm assuming it's a SHOW barrell, not something they sell.

merlinjones
04-25-2003, 09:06 AM
From the contents, I'd assume it has to be in Adventureland.

Sheila
04-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RideMax Mark
OK, my wife's friend made her a sort of "bet" that she wouldn't be able to find the barrell at Disneyland or DCA containing "Sweet Mango Chutney." I'm assuming this is something the park sells in small jars or something.

My initial thought was the Market House shop on Main Street that sells all the kitchenware. I seem to recall visualizing barrels of jam and such for sale there.

Sheila

adriennek
04-25-2003, 04:04 PM
First thought: Adventureland.

Second thought: New Orleans Square, in that shop that sells gourmet stuff including but not limited to hot sauce.

I'd probably stop in MarketPlace on the way there.

Oh, Tarzan's Treehouse?

Think about places that might have "kitchens"- Minnie's house? Could it be a picture somewhere?

Adrienne

bzbex
04-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Wow, Next time I go to Disneyland I have something new to do ... Hunt for Sweet Mango Chutney ... I sounds like a new and exciting game for adult to play there (right up there with hidden Mickey's) LOL

rexfarms
04-25-2003, 07:08 PM
There should be a thread with the discriptions of things to find at the Resort, with no answers, you would have to PM the author to find the answer. Or is there one already?:confused: :)

RideMax Mark
04-26-2003, 08:30 PM
WOW! Thanks for all of these great ideas!

We'll be at the park Thursday, and these have given us some good places to start the search!

Thanks again,

Mark

Not Afraid
04-26-2003, 09:24 PM
I hope you find it! I have a suspicion that it is an item that was stocked in, what is now, Le Bat en Rouge. They used to have a lot of foodstuffs available. They moved all of the stuff over to the vacant storefront down a bit. I saw items on the shelves at the end of the year, but they never opened up the shop.

Please let us know if you find it.

Germboy
04-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Chutney is cajun. I would definitely think somewhere in NOS. Probably the hot sauce place.

Morrigoon
04-27-2003, 12:48 AM
That would be my guess.

Nigel2
04-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Germboy
Chutney is cajun. I would definitely think somewhere in NOS. Probably the hot sauce place.

Not quite...

"Chutney: a thick sauce of Indian origin that contains fruits, vinegar, sugar, and spices and is used as a condiment "

Germboy
04-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Chutney is used a lot in cajun food, Nigel. And I don't know of any Indian restaurant in Disneyland.

I'm sure pasta was not invented in Italy, either, before you have to correct me on that too.

Why do some people have to act that way on these boards? Geesh... :rolleyes:

Morrigoon
04-27-2003, 10:08 AM
That's correct actually, it wasn't invented in Italy. We can thank Marco Polo for bringing pasta to Italy :)

While we're at it, Italy didn't have tomatoes until Columbus brought them back from America ;)

Nigel's response, while in his usual sarcastic, know-it-all tone ;), seems to be in line with the discussion, as it would indicate that chutney might be in adventureland. I disagree, but I'm playing devil's advocate here :D

Kandy
04-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Chutneys definetly an indian sauce. ..thats all! :) Yum! My mom makes it.

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but is Cajun food not a mixture of many types of foods?:confused:

Germboy
04-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Yes it is. The five-star restaurant I used to work for had a "Ragin' Cajun" promotion that was always chock full of chutney.

To say that chutney is only Indian is to say that curry is only Indian. It's not. And since there are no Indian restaurants that I know of in Disneyland, I would assume that they would sell chutney in New Orleans Square.

Can anyone explain to me where they sell bottled condiments in Adventureland? Maybe I missed something...

Not Afraid
04-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Correct me if I am wrong but is Cajun food not a mixture of many types of foods?:confused:

The name "Cajun" is derived from the French-Acadian who were banished from Nova Scotia by the British and settled in Southern Lousianna.

The food is a mixture of traditional french, native LA game and vegetables and other tropical island influences, including Hatian cuisine. Many recipes used the local vegatables grown by Cajuns - always with the "Trinity" - onions, garlic and bellpepper.

A chutney is a piquant relish from the cuisine of India. However, the idea of chutney has been adopted by many cuisines all over the world.

The inspiration for chutney comes from India but has been adopted by Western in recipes by combining sugar and vinegar with spices and fruit. The British developed their own chutneys during the British Raj. I've seen Green Tomato Chutney on Southern menus.

Kandy
04-27-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure about the cajun food thing, but I do know that chutney is used in many different types of foods. I was actually at a sea food resturaunt the other day and they were telling us what the special was,and it was topped off with chutney. Heres the thing though, there are so many different types of chutneys...so you can eat it with many different types of food. Sometimes we run outta salsa, so my mom will make tomato chutney, which is kinda like salsa(no longer a sauce incase you're wondering). With Indian food, chutney is eaten with many different types of dishes, so I guess now people mix it with all kinds of other foods as well. Hope that helps! ;)

Kandy
04-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Good answer, Not afraid. I agree.

mandi2728
04-27-2003, 07:05 PM
I may be way off base, but I was thinking it may be over in DCA, there are some barrels by where the bug ball goes on......but I am probably way off base!

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 08:34 PM
So I am correct?

Morrigoon
04-27-2003, 11:40 PM
The barrels in Market house are not labeled, so scratch that one off your list.

RideMax Mark
04-28-2003, 05:34 AM
One more little clue here -- my wife's friend swears it wasn't spelled "Chutney," but "Chitney". This makes me wonder if it was a deliberate misspelling, perhaps in line with Kevin's suggestion of something on TSI??

Hmmm.... The plot thickens!

Nigel2
04-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Germboy
Chutney is used a lot in cajun food, Nigel. And I don't know of any Indian restaurant in Disneyland.

Fist off I wasn't trying to offend, but just beucase it's used a lot by another culinary style doesn't make it their creation.

What are you talking about pasta for?