PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror?

Pages : [1] 2

Napsto
04-27-2001, 11:16 PM
Is Tower of Terror as good as what everybody says??

EvaBryan
04-28-2001, 06:27 AM
I LOVED this ride. I am not a huge thrill-seeker (all these new crazy ultra G force coasters give me a headache), but I do like a thrill now and then. The theming of TOT is some of the best I have ever seen, and I can't remember laughing on a ride so hard.

If you have fears of this ride, try to conquer them. I would never suggest going on something that makes you uncomfortable or sick, but this ride is an EXPERIENCE.

Eva

34 days and counting!!:p

eLPack
04-28-2001, 10:44 AM
It is totally a matter of personal preference. I don't like drops. I HATE drops :eek: After choosing not to ride ToT many times 4 years ago I decided to be brave and experience it. While I thought the detail was excellent and I loved the way they did it.. riding it was the stupidest choice I ever made. I survived though and I'm glad I did it. However, I decided that never again will I subject myself to that.

So it's all a matter of personal preference - and it's always good to try things at least once!

MiklCraw4d
04-28-2001, 08:40 PM
TOT is great, and it's much better now than it used to be. The drop profile is much longer now, and makes up for the lack of 'conventional' ride.

I would recommend this ride even for people who are scared of such things. My friend was terrified of such things the first time I took her, but despite her anathema for thrill rides she loved it. It was quite amusing watching someone enjoy something they knew they were supposed to hate hehe.

I would also recommend multiple trips for those scared of drops... the first time I rode I was even nervous going up the shaft in the car. Now I've ridden it so many times that it doesn't even occur to me to be scared. I just get a kick out of everyone's reactions.

The most important thing is it shows how Imagineers can take a very simple carnival ride, the space shot, and make it into an entirely different experience thanks to theming and technology. A lesson they could use today.

In my opinion it's the last truly great thing they've done.

mc

karl
04-29-2001, 11:25 AM
Tower of Terror's best features are not the drop itself, but the incredible experience leading up to the visible drop. The queue in masterful - the actual show in the ride is very immersive and offers incredible effects. This is a show ride.

Ad for the drop - I am not one for those. However you are not terrible exposed in comparison to freefall/space shot type attractions. You feel a drop, and watch the elevator shaft fly past. But its not a height issue - you face the doors.

-- Karl

craig
04-29-2001, 01:42 PM
If one is scared of heights they needn't worry. (As was mentioned earlier) The anticipation that SOMETHING is going to happen is the biggest thrill. It's a great ride for anybody who doesn't have a fear of elevators dropping. (Like my wife)

Maus
04-29-2001, 06:40 PM
This is my absolute favorite Disney attraction. The outside themeing--the Twilight Zone film--the CM's--the ride to the top--the anticipation--and of course the drop! Fabulous.

When you ride, be sure to ask for the seatbelt seat--or don't allow the lap bar to get too snug. You get more float that way and this adds much to the experience.

Napsto
04-30-2001, 09:50 AM
sounds like a lot of fun, i hope dca gets a good version of it!!!!!

Tlg
05-01-2001, 07:17 AM
Try to get the seat in row 5 with the seat belt instead of the lap bar. It's a totally different feeling and experience.

Lani
05-01-2001, 05:37 PM
I am so scared of drop rides that I almost wet my pants at the dreaded anticipation of this ride. However the drop itself wasn't nearly so bad, and the theming was quite good, I admit. I'll probably go on it again now that I'm slowing getting over my wimpiness... :D

Definitely great theming. Alex was somewhat disappointed that the drop itself wasn't too exciting, but did enjoy the rest of the attraction.

dgthx
05-01-2001, 10:23 PM
That would really stink if DCA gets a "mini" version of TOT. I know there is a concern with height. They don't want Disneyland guest to see it from the park. But hopefully they'll build the ride down into the ground so the drop is still as long.

MiklCraw4d
05-03-2001, 12:41 AM
I agree... go for the seatbelt seat

mc

Matterhorn Fan
05-04-2001, 10:07 AM
I LOVED the ToT! The last time I was at WDW was before they 'modified' it--can anyone tell me what they changed?? I hope if they put one into DCA that they'll go all out and do it right. I'd hate to see them mess this one up.

dolphinangel8674
05-04-2001, 01:00 PM
In my opinion, Tower OF Terror SUCKS!!. It was good the first time it came out. You went up then droped about half a florr then dropped the rest. Then they changed it to where you drop half a floor go up then drop half a floor then go up then drop completly. Now you drop a little go up drop a little more go back up then drop a little more then go back up. Time it is the last drop you don't drop down but at most 5 stories. I think it was fun the first time they did it and should of changed it. In my opinion if you want to do it get a fast pass. Usually the line is about 45 minutes long. Or do everything you really want to do then go back if you have time. I don't really do it any more or waste my time doing it inless i get a fast pass.

Nutz4Clopin
05-12-2001, 04:40 AM
The TOT is a don't miss:cool:! It is the best ride at the MGM. The theming is wonderful, the cast members are great and the ride itself is just plain fun if you don't mind alot of drops. Get the fastpass to save time waiting in line, the only down side to this is that you walk quickly through the hotel lobby and may miss out on appreciating the great theming in there.

I am not a thrill ride person, but since everyone kept raving about it I decided to send my husband on it for "testing purposes". He told me it was kind of like the elevator in the World Trade Center in NYC. So, I decided to try it - this was when it first opened. It was only 1 1/2 drops so it didn't bother me at all. The feeling you get of "floating" was great. I loved it!

Well, last month we went on it and it was 4 1/2 drops, which was way tooooo much dropping for me :) ! I wound up closing my eyes and praying it would be over. I felt sick afterwards. So, I think I will avoid it for awhile.

For those who have had the seat belt, what is the difference between the experience with the lapbar?

dolphinangel8674
05-12-2001, 07:21 AM
I think the best ride in MGM is Areosmith's rollecoaster, the rockin rollercoaster. That is AWSOME. I recommend it to anyone who likes roller coasters. I DON'T recommend it to anyone who DOESN'T like loops or darkness, or high speed roller coasters.

theterms
05-12-2001, 02:17 PM
TOT Rules! One of my favorite Disney vacation stories...
Two years ago me, my daughter (she was 6!), my sister- and brother-in-law went on TOT. When we finally get to the "elevator" and take our seats - right in front - my daughter starts to cry and she wants to get off. It's too late, the ride had already started moving. My sister-in-law and I were holding her real tight between us and at this point she is totally freaked out and crying. Then we drop the first time...
My little 6-year old starts screaming and laughing so hard! She absolutely loved it! She told her dad when we got off the ride that it was the best!
It is definately thrilling. For first-timers, I think the build-up is scarier. The ride itself is awesome.
:p

Maus
05-12-2001, 09:05 PM
>>For those who have had the seat belt, what is the difference between the experience with the lapbar?<<

The seat belt seat is the one at the top of the stairs. The other seats all have a seat or barrier in front of them--something to grab on to. The seat belt seat has nothing, except some handles on the seat itself. You get an extreme floating sensation. In the photo we purchased, my daughter's feet are about 4-6 inches off the ground--so is her behind, but the photo doesn't show that! The lapbar, unless you make sure it isn't pulled down too snugly, holds you in place--no "floating" above your seat.

Bobcat
05-14-2001, 04:53 AM
is as good as everyone says, but that all depends on who you speak to :) I'm not a big fan of free falling but I must admit, since they've modofied the ride it ranks up there as a "not to be missed"! The story,the atmosphere, the effects are all an integral part of the ride, and being a fan of the Twilight Zone only enhanced the experience for me. When the doors open and you can practically see Tampa for a brief second, then.........

Bob :)

Nutz4Clopin
05-15-2001, 02:49 AM
Morning Bobcat,

That is some view when the doors open:) ..... then whoa:eek: !!! Thought I'd die this last time with the 4 1/2 drops! My daughter and her friend went on it together. It was the first time for her and she loved it. She kept waiting for the door to open so she could see the studios. They love the free floating feeling.

But I guess it couldn't have been that terrible of an experience for me, if I keep thinking "well, the next time I go on it...";)

Have a good day!

AnimeNut
05-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Hey, everybody!

As much as I love TOT, I just can't get past the fact that the ride has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with The Twilight Zone itself. I mean, come on, just because you throw in some digitally altered footage of Rod Serling and use the same music doesn't make it an actual trip into the Twilight Zone. It's almost as if the Imagineers never saw an actual episode of the show, but were only familiar with the opening credits. I don't remember Burgess Meredith, William Shatner, and countless other actors in their heyday flying past giant eyeballs or getting zapped by lightning in an elevator. The "script" of TOT wouldn't have served as anything more than toilet paper for the Twilight Zone producers.

Now, I'm a realist, so I know there's no way you could make an entertaining, crowd-pleasing ride that includes disguised morality plays and "the ironic twist". What I'm saying is that TOT should never have been advertised with the Twilight Zone brand name. They should've picked some other popular franchise that would've kept the theming similar as well as keeping the ride's location in the Studios appropriate.

JRob2k1
05-15-2001, 10:11 PM
I think the Imagineers were trying to show that those 5 people in the elevator were sent to the Twilight Zone. Now its our turn to board an elevator in that "same hotel." You ride ToT to see what happens and if you too will be sent to the Twilight Zone.

So, i believe that using The Twilight Zone name was better because it gave something familiar and increased an already strong script for Tot

Or course, thats my opinion...

JRob

Dreamfinder's Shadow
05-15-2001, 10:21 PM
Actually the footage is authentic up to and including the point where he turns around and points his hand. The background, I'm not sure if that was altered, but most of the dialog is him as well. THere was one episode that they took all of the footage from. Unfortunately I was trained there so long ago and have been out of the loop so I forget.
One of the cool things is the actual stuff few people notice. For example the lobby has incredible detail. All the couches were custom built to authentic specs from the 30's. They had to actually pay the company to learn how to build couches the old fashioned way (sans all the newer innovations).
Also, the chairs they have at the MahJong tables were purchased at an estate sale since they fit the theme. They only bought four at first, but then had them appraised. Turns out they are antiques and extremely valuable at that. Disney got them for a steal, like paying less than $100 each and they were valued at several hundred a piece. They went back and got more ot have additional chairs on display and some as backups. The imagineers learned to play MahJong, sat down, had a game and left in the middle as though something horrible happened. The napkins and glasses still have lipstick. The napkin is folded rather than crumbled meaning the Guest did not enjoy themselves. Forks are turned upside down, which is also a symbol of that bad experience.
Those are just some of the little things that I really appreciate with Diney rides and shows.

DisneyGuy
06-14-2001, 08:41 AM
The Tower of terror was the best ride. It actually makes you thoink you in an 1930's Hollywood hotel. All the drops catch you by suprise the elevator goes up then through a hallway into a door it is pitch black for a second then you fall 13 stories go back up the doors open you see out over MGM you see a flash then you drop. It was the best ride of my life.

Gemini Cricket
06-14-2001, 05:18 PM
The anticipation of TOT's drop is the real thrill. I swear I thought I was going to pass out waiting for the drop to happen. Once it did I couldn't wait to wait again!!!