PDA

View Full Version : Best Hot Chocolate

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wkr3kt
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Where is the best hot chocolate to be found at the resort?

Malcon10t
11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Honestly, the best is at Club 33. But I like the Blue Ribbon bakery. If I am not mistaken, they use Nestle hot chocolate.

destinationdisney
11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
The hot chocolate from The Stagedoor Cafe is really good too! :D

AJDerrick
11-23-2010, 06:05 AM
It's true, the Club 33 stuff is incredible. However, we like the ones at Carnation Cafe too. They come with a nice big dolop of cream. :)

The Red Head
11-23-2010, 07:30 AM
I was going to say Club 33, but since it is not available to everyone I wasn't going to post it. Then I looked and 2 other people had already beat me to it.

fairestoneofall
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Club 33 is good. BUT, I had this amazing hot chocolate with my dessert at Napa Rose last winter and it was A-MA-ZING. It was part of a dessert selection though so not sure if you can just get it anytime.

Marion Ravenwood
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
I love love love La Brea hot chocolate! It gives me something to look forward to when leaving the park, knowing I can stop by and get one to drink while waiting for the tram.

janell
11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
White Waters Snack at DGC is very good. I like all Disney hot chocolate. It is very good. If you get a bad cup, my guess is its from the bottom of the pot and I would ask for another one.

MatthewHansen
11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I was also going to say Club 33 hot chocolate but then I realized I've never been to Club 33. So... if anyone would like to help me get in so I can review their hot chocolate, let me know! :D

dznyphreak
11-25-2010, 02:04 PM
The hot cocoa at a lot of the quick service food places in the parks (and maybe some of the table service places too) is the same stuff--just powdered Nestle cocoa mixed with hot water, so they shouldn't vary too much from place to place. It's a safe bet that 33 is something a lot better, though I've never had it myself.

A little off-topic, but my new favorite hot cocoa (which used to be the peppermint variety at Starbucks) is Triple Hot Cocoa at Seattle's Best, which I found in Borders. It's real chocolate, not powder, in milk with whipped cream and three kinds of chocolate on top: chocolate syrup, white chocolate flakes, and a stick of semi-sweet chocolate. Delicious!

bennette
12-21-2010, 06:33 PM
The hot cocoa at a lot of the quick service food places in the parks (and maybe some of the table service places too) is the same stuff--just powdered Nestle cocoa mixed with hot water, so they shouldn't vary too much from place to place. It's a safe bet that 33 is something a lot better, though I've never had it myself.

As of today, I can say that when Club 33 is serving it, it is the same Nestle powder mix as everywhere else in the park. But they run the hot water through their cappucino machine and put whipped cream on it in addition to serving it in nice surroundings and in a fancy cup, which I trust makes a difference, at least in how the final product is perceived.

On the other hand, they weren't serving it today. I'm not sure I caught all of what the server was saying. Broken cappucino machine perhaps?

MickeyDogMom
12-21-2010, 09:04 PM
As of today, I can say that when Club 33 is serving it, it is the same Nestle powder mix as everywhere else in the park. But they run the hot water through their cappucino machine and put whipped cream on it in addition to serving it in nice surroundings and in a fancy cup, which I trust makes a difference, at least in how the final product is perceived.

On the other hand, they weren't serving it today. I'm not sure I caught all of what the server was saying. Broken cappucino machine perhaps?

Um. :geek: She [waitress] was mentioning that it was milk, she kind of sneered about ever using water in the hot chocolate. They also put a stick of chocolate/rock sugar in the cup. Just saying. Maybe I heard different. :)

bennette
12-22-2010, 06:35 AM
I thught I heard the word "powder or mix" mentioned but I was at the far side. It would be better with milk than water...but it would still be powder. Did she mention actual chocolate, other than the stick (which I used to make a DIY mocha with Kahlua float)?

stan4d_steph
12-22-2010, 06:39 AM
According to a program I saw the other day, Napa Rose makes the best.

leota's necklace
12-22-2010, 01:29 PM
(which I used to make a DIY mocha with Kahlua float)?

Dear bennette, I enjoy your ideas, and would like to receive your newsletter.

cstephens
12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Dear bennette, I enjoy your ideas, and would like to receive your newsletter.

For the record, I'm the one who told her about the chocolate sticks on the dessert bar, and that she could use them in her coffee when we were informed that hot chocolate wasn't available, after she told them she wanted "something", aka Kahlua, in it, and definitely with whipped cream. ;)

As I recall, they had white chocolate and regular chocolate sticks. She wisely chose the regular chocolate ones. :D

Malcon10t
12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
As I recall, they had white chocolate and regular chocolate sticks. She wisely chose the regular chocolate ones. :DOf course she did. You kept her from the dark side.

Today, I sampled the hot chocolate at the Hearthstone Lounge. Club 33 hot chocolate (when they have it) is better.

And yes, I heard powder too, which surprised me, but also heard "steamed milk through the cap....machine".

I plan to keep taste testing...

bennette
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
It's all Nestle powder, people, unless you are at Napa Rose which I think uses Scharffen Berger (chocolate) and perhaps cream instead of the more traditional milk. For you, Leota, this (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2005/11/parisian-hot-ch-1/) is close to mine, although I use less sugar usually and frequently I like to use a Mexican chocolate (much lighter chocolate flavor).

And AS IF I would ever eat a white "chocolate" stick, although I appreciate cstephen's pointing the regular ones out to me.

leota's necklace
12-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you. "White chocolate" is, at best, an abomination.

bennette
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I think we'll be trying the NR hot chocolate next week. We'll let you know how it compares.

KarenW2
12-23-2010, 01:32 AM
We're really looking forward to our dinner at NR tomorrow night! We have our favorite seats at the Chef's Counter reserved and I'm REALLY looking forward to having the "World's Best Hot Chocolate" (and it definitely is!!) once again!

The taste reminds me of the wonderful "drinking chocolate" they had at Starbuck's a few years ago, called "Chantico". I wish they'd bring it back again.

bennette
12-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Cream and sweetened condensed milk? Well, that would explain why I found it over the top last year.

No worries; I'm sure we'll find another tester or two for their version. Or Chef can have someone make me something simpler.

cstephens
12-23-2010, 08:19 AM
No worries; I'm sure we'll find another tester or two for their version. Or Chef can have someone make me something simpler.

I *think* they have a version of the hot chocolate on the dessert menu, or at least they did. I recall it being more of a melted chocolate drink rather than a regular hot chocolate. I wonder if they have a different version if you just order "hot chocolate" as a drink, rather than as part of dessert.

They could have totally different versions of things. I've discovered that a "Washington Apple" martini can be very different, depending on who the bartender is that night. So far, it's shown up as 3 different incarnations when I've ordered it there.

AVP
12-23-2010, 08:21 AM
The taste reminds me of the wonderful "drinking chocolate" they had at Starbuck's a few years ago, called "Chantico". I wish they'd bring it back again.Trader Joe's sells something nearly identical.

AVP

Gramiangel420
12-23-2010, 01:57 PM
I saw the show about the NR hot chocolate recently and it was melted chocolate and was a dessert. It looked yummy and the people drinking it said it was like drinking a melted chocolate bar. I would love to try it, but I won't be eating at NR.:cool: