PDA

View Full Version : Once again... recipe for Dole Whips?

Pages : [1] 2

Tigertail777
04-22-2003, 08:31 PM
I know someone posted this before but cant find it. I want the homemade Dole Whips recipe, the one that has the cream or something in it to make it stiff like the real ones at Disneyland. I am thinking of trying to make it for my birthday in June. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

KateyMcButterpants
04-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Dole is owned by Nestle, so you might want to substitute another brand if you wish to honor the Nestle boycott.

http://disneyrecipes.homestead.com/greatpretenders.html

Pineapple Icee Whip
(from Dole.com)

Prep: 10 min.
Freeze: 3 hrs.
Makes: 8 servings

2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, mini marshmallow or mini chocolate chips, (optional)
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth. Stir in cherries or marshmallow or chips, if desired.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve.

254 calories, 17g fat (10g sat.), 61mg cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 1g protein

Tigertail777
04-22-2003, 08:57 PM
thank you very much! thats the one! But I don't know about this nestle boycott thing? Whats that about?

KateyMcButterpants
04-22-2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.babymilkaction.org/

Nestle is the target of a world-wide boycott because they continue to violate the World Heath Organization's International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. Nestle continues to aggressively market baby formula in third world countries.

Often, formula companies will give free samples of formula to new mothers.

The free samples lasted long enough for the mother's breast milk to dry up from lack of use. Then mothers would be forced to purchase the formula but, being poor, they would often mix the formula with unsanitary water or 'stretch' the amount of formula by diluting it with more water than recommended.

Darren
04-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Katey,

You have the best screen name ever. I laugh everytime I see it.

McButterpants -- CLASSIC:D

Tigertail777
04-24-2003, 07:00 PM
ok so now I am curious... when was Dole bought out by nestle??? Wasn't it it's own company for a very long time?

justagrrl
04-25-2003, 06:00 AM
A note about homemade dole whips - I don't care much for the freeze in a bowl method. It came out wierd. It had a very odd mouth feel - like a coating of wax almost...well maybe not wax...but it was odd.

I think it would be much better (closer to the real version) if it was made in an ice cream machine.

Using fresh pinapple would be a big improvement also.

Tigertail777
04-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks justagrrl, I think I will do the ice-cream machine method then, sounds more yummy anyways, and closer to the actual one you get at DL since they use simular machines.:D Ohh its gonna be a haaaappy biiirthday with Dole whips on hand! oooh yeah! Thats going to go great with lemon pound cake!

furbE95
04-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Where exactly can i purchase these whips that everyone speaks so highly of? Am I correct in thinking that they are sold right outside the tiki tiki tiki tiki room?

rexfarms
04-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Correct, along with pineapple spears and pinapple juice. You can get a Dole Whip in pineapple juice as kind of a float too.:) Enjoy.

HBTiggerFan
04-27-2003, 10:56 PM
mmm dole whips.

I love Dole Whips...yummmmmmmm And Dole floats, and Dole pineapple

p.s. I looked all over the Dole site, I don't think they are owned by Nestle.

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 03:14 PM
You may be right but look at the Nestle site for Dole. lol ;)

Bill Catherall
04-28-2003, 04:38 PM
I've tried the recipe posted above and I agree with justagrrl, it leaves your mouth feeling greasy. And while it does taste good, it isn't smooth, nor does it taste anything like the Disneyland stuff. You'll also need to eat it all the day you make it or you're going to be chiseling it out of the bowl the next day.

I prefer the recipe for a Dole Whip Clone (http://www.homestead.com/DoomBuggyProductions/DoleWhip.html) found on At Home Imagineering (http://www.homestead.com/DoomBuggyProductions/imagineering.html). I say it's a clone because the "real" stuff is non-dairy. This stuff uses cream and milk. But I've tweaked that recipe a little and came up with something that I think works better. Here it is:

-----------------------------------------
1 Qt Dole Pineapple Juice (actually it was a full can of the 1 Qt, 14 oz can)
3 cups sugar

Mix together the sugar and pineapple juice until the sugar is fully dissolved.

Add (mixing well):
4 cups of heavy whipping cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Refrigerate the mix for at least a couple hours (or as long as you want). Freeze in an ice cream maker.
------------------------------------------

If you're boycotting Dole or Nestle or whatever you can obviously switch out the Dole Pineapple Juice for any other brand.

I served up this recipe at a Nor. Cal. meet and it seemed to be a big hit. It's very creamy and smooth, but this doesn't even taste exactly like the Disneyland stuff. In fact, I think it tastes better. It's more tart and "pineappley."

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Am I drunk or does it need some lemon or orange citrus juice?(for the one above)?

Bill Catherall
04-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Am I drunk or does it need some lemon or orange citrus juice?(for the one above)? For mine? That would probably add a fun zing to it. I'll have to try that next time. But it really isn't necessary, if that's what you're asking.

rexfarms
04-28-2003, 07:47 PM
It seems like at Disneyland it has some orange or lemon juice.

MammaSilva
04-28-2003, 07:49 PM
I can personally vouch for Bill's receipe.. OMG delish is NOT even close to saying how darn good it was ...... (note to others tho...dry ice makes it really really firm :) )

Tigertail777
04-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Ohhh! Thanks Bill! I cannot wait to try this out!!! YAY! Dole whips!!!

GeminiAngel
04-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Dole Whips---YUCK!!!!

Toady The Eighth
04-29-2003, 12:26 PM
That's odd that there's cream in it.... on the sign in front of the Juice Stand it says that Dole Whip is "non-dairy"

Bill Catherall
04-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Right. The Dole Whip in the park is non-dairy. That's why I called the above recipe a "clone." Do you know of any other way to make ice cream at home without cream? ;)

Mammasilva's right. When transporting to a potluck, one block of dry ice should be sufficient.

Toady The Eighth
04-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Right. The Dole Whip in the park is non-dairy. That's why I called the above recipe a "clone." Do you know of any other way to make ice cream at home without cream? ;)

Mammasilva's right. When transporting to a potluck, one block of dry ice should be sufficient.

Whoops. Shouyld have read that a little more carefully. :D

Tigertail777
04-29-2003, 03:28 PM
well I am thinking that the park one is frozen yogert mixture, thus the "non dairy" moniker. Because many people who are lactose intolerant can have frozen yogert, and I asked when I was there if lactose intolerant people could have it, and they said yes. So you might be able to make yer own if you substitute the cream with yogert.

adriennek
04-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
well I am thinking that the park one is frozen yogert mixture, thus the "non dairy" moniker.

Except that if you were vegan, you still wouldn't eat yogurt, so I think that to be non-dairy, it would have to not contain any dairy products. They could use something like a cornstarch based thickener.

Adrienne

Bill Catherall
04-29-2003, 07:46 PM
According to this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7604) the real Dole Whip contains:

Sugar, dextrose, corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, fruit juices or crystals, stabilizer, sodium-silico aluminate, vegetable fiber, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, sodium caseinate, mono and di-glycerides, sodium citrate, salt, potassium phosphate, artificial color.