PDA

View Full Version : Villas at Grand California: Cooking items question?

Donald Duck Fan68
11-13-2010, 02:01 PM
We'll be staying in a one-bedroom Villa at the Grand Californian and were wondering what kind of cooking items to expect?

Pots/Pans?
Plates?
Utensils?
Coffee Maker?
Etc?

Should we expect a well stocked kitchen for cooking? We're planning on cooking quite a few meals to cut down on food costs and need to know what to expect? Will we need to buy some additional items?

Thanks.

KJSJpipe
11-13-2010, 05:27 PM
You should not need to buy any kitchen equipment but if you are cooking a lot you may want a few more dishwasher tabs then they provide ,but you should be fine with the dish soap. You will also want more laundry supplies.

From the DVC site:

Vacation Home amenities*:

Bedroom(s):

Master bedroom:

One king-size bed with linens

Second and third bedrooms:

Two queen-size beds with linens, or
One queen-size bed and one double-size sleeper sofa with linens

Nightstands
Pak-n-Play crib
Lamps
Hutch
Chair
Clock radio
Cable television
Ceiling fan

Kitchen:

Refrigerator
Electric stove/oven
Microwave oven
Sink with disposal
Coffee maker and starter pack
Toaster
Electric blender
Dishware, glasses, coffee cups and flatware service for eight (service for 12 in three-bedroom Vacation Homes)
Serving platter, vegetable bowls, salad serving bowl, sugar bowl, pitcher and cream server
Eight-piece cookware set (pots, pans and lids)
Casserole dishes, measuring cups and spoons, colander, cutting board and cookie sheet
Paring knife, cook's knife, tongs, serving spoon, serving fork, can opener, bottle opener and corkscrew
Teakettle
Dish towel
Sponge
Potholders

Living/Dining Area:

Queen-size sleeper sofa
Cable television
DVD player
Lamps
End table
Coffee table
Chair
Dining table and chairs
Ceiling fan

Private Porch or Balcony:

Patio table and chairs

Bathrooms:

Whirlpool tub (master bathroom only)
Shower massager
Hair dryer
Towel package
Toiletries starter pack

Laundry Room/Closet:

Washer and dryer
Vacuum cleaner
Iron and ironing board
Broom and dustpan
Laundry detergent (starter box)
*Amenities may vary by resort and are subject to change without notice.

Toocherie
11-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Coffee. They only give you enough for one pot. I like to pre-measure ( I like strong coffee so four scoops) in plastic baggies --it's for one pot. And you need basket tyhpw paper filters.

Daddio
11-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Coffee. They only give you enough for one pot. I like to pre-measure ( I like strong coffee so four scoops) in plastic baggies --it's for one pot. And you need basket tyhpw paper filters.

Exactly. Bring coffee and filters. We were there last month and the coffee pack was a 4 cupper instead of the usual 8 cupper.

Aside from that, we were in a 2 bedroom lock off and it was absolutely georgeous. I (personally) think it is the nicest resort in the DVC inventory.

David

AVP
11-17-2010, 07:42 AM
IF you plan to do any real cooking in the room, you really want to plan ahead. If you have a personal or rental car you can easily do a grocery run, or you can use Vons grocery delivery service to stock up. Just don't rely on the exceptionally limited grocery selection offered at Whitewater Snacks.

AVP

Toocherie
11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
We never quite are there long enough to actually cook in the villa. Some friends and I are planning a brunch and maybe dinner one night next March when we go for a girls' trip. I really want to BBQ steaks some day on the grills!

And when you have corn dogs and such right next door, why would you want to cook?????

Donald Duck Fan68
11-27-2010, 01:13 PM
We'll be in the Villa for around 10 days, so to cut down on costs, we plan to cook more than eat out. My wife is going to do a grocery run and we'll probably come with our own coffee and filters (we're really into our coffee.)

Toocherie
11-28-2010, 06:33 AM
we'll probably come with our own coffee and filters (we're really into our coffee.)

So am I--and I have to say that DL coffee is the worst!

3Princesses1Prince
11-28-2010, 07:58 AM
So am I--and I have to say that DL coffee is the worst!

Yep! Not even worth the free refills!

fairestoneofall
02-09-2011, 06:47 AM
We'll be there Friday night. At this point, we don't plan on any cooking, but would love coffee in the morning so we'll bring it and filters as well as sweetener and half and half.

One more question. Has anyone used the irons/ironing boards? Are they good quality? Does anyone know if we can request a steamer from housekeeping? I have a delicate dress that I'm bringing to wear to dinner on Friday night and I don't want to ruin it with a crappy iron.

GusMan
02-09-2011, 08:54 AM
In speaking about the irons in general in DVC rooms, most of them seem to be of decent quality and do have a steam setting. Best of all, they seem to be rarely used.

As for steaming a garment, Ill pass along one of my best travel secrets...
Put the garment on a hanger and hang it on the bathroom hook while taking a hot shower. It takes most wrinkles out and minimizes ironing time, if it is even necessary.

Toocherie
02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
They are pretty run of the mill irons. IIRC the ironing boards have a thick pad on it. I'm not sure I would use them for a delicate dress. Do you have a hand held portable steamer you can bring?

fairestoneofall
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
In speaking about the irons in general in DVC rooms, most of them seem to be of decent quality and do have a steam setting. Best of all, they seem to be rarely used.

As for steaming a garment, Ill pass along one of my best travel secrets...
Put the garment on a hanger and hang it on the bathroom hook while taking a hot shower. It takes most wrinkles out and minimizes ironing time, if it is even necessary.
Thank you! I've already actually done this, but it's not enough for this dress.

Do you have a hand held portable steamer you can bring?
As a matter of fact, I do. As of today anyhow. I ordered one last week but it wasn't supposed to be here until we got back from DL. It's not exactly compact and travel size. It's a little larger than my iron, but I'll let the bellman worry about it. Wait, they do have bell service at the villas, don't they?