PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Candlelight Processional info from Disney

AVP
11-13-2010, 09:50 AM
MousePlanet reader Heather just sent me an e-mail she received from Disneyland's guest relations department, confirming the dates, speaker and lack of dining package option for the 2010 Candlelight Processional:

The Candlelight Procession & Ceremony will be on December 4th and 5th at 5:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on each night. Additionally, the Guest Speaker will be Tom Skerrit. Please be advised that we will not be offering any dining options this year.

AVP

houseofmouse
11-13-2010, 12:14 PM
So no dining package means a first come first serve seating deal to see CP? Not sure since I have not seen it since 1994.

janell
11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I wonder if there will be seating or just standing room only?

Malcon10t
11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
This will be our first year attending the Candlelight Processional. I am so very excited!

lola2009
11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Im planning a possible trip for Dec 4th and 5th,how packed will Disneyland be? I wasn't planning on seeing the processional.

CariBelle
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Im planning a possible trip for Dec 4th and 5th,how packed will Disneyland be? I wasn't planning on seeing the processional.

In my experience it will only be Main Street that will be greatly impacted Lola. Just get in the park and avoid it until the show is over and you should be good!

SoCalDisneyLover
11-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Ahhh, the stupidity of Disney. It's amazing that such a profitable, well run company, can't figure out a simple thing like making a reservation system work.

Either that, or they just want to deprive themselves of certain large sums of money they could easily make from selling dining packages.

But I guess it's much easier to throw up their hands and say, "we give up," and not offer anything.

Clearly there are many people completely willing to shell out big money to eat dinner at the resort, and get reserved tickets for the processional. Yet Disney is basically telling those folks to save their money, and endure further inconvenience in getting a good location for the event.

currence
11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Ahhh, the stupidity of Disney. It's amazing that such a profitable, well run company, can't figure out a simple thing like making a reservation system work.

Either that, or they just want to deprive themselves of certain large sums of money they could easily make from selling dining packages.

But I guess it's much easier to throw up their hands and say, "we give up," and not offer anything.

Clearly there are many people completely willing to shell out big money to eat dinner at the resort, and get reserved tickets for the processional. Yet Disney is basically telling those folks to save their money, and endure further inconvenience in getting a good location for the event.

I don't think it's quite as easy as that. It's also a supply/demand issue. As the 2008 processional fiasco showed, there were more people willing to pay for tickets than they could accommodate. Main street is a pretty small area so it is not easy to increase supply.

The typical response is to raise the prices to the point that the supply equals the demand. But when they do that, they are often accused of being elitist and unaffordable.

Last year they seemed to attempt a compromise by having ridiculously expensive tickets - but only for D23 members and only as part of a banquet style meal (i.e. not at the regular restaurants). I have no idea how successful it was relative to their expectations but apparently not enough for them to repeat the offering. Of course, D23 has come under its own fire for having too many events on the West Coast so perhaps there was also politics involved in not offering it through them this year.

Sometimes it is a better decision to do nothing than to have dedicated fans disappointed that they cannot buy tickets - either because they lost the affordable ticket lottery (or internet connection roulette) or because it would involve mortgaging their home.

I am more concerned that there does not seem to be any offset of the expenses this year. I have no idea how the dining packages were credited as far as whether the profit went to restaurants or events but I assume some of the money went to the event both under the old dining packages and through D23. If there is no offset this year I fear that it makes it a more vulnerable target for budget cuts.

Wkr3kt
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
So does that mean to get a decent seat for the show you have to start camping out early in the day? And where should that be?

Malcon10t
11-16-2010, 05:35 AM
So does that mean to get a decent seat for the show you have to start camping out early in the day? And where should that be?You might ask at City Hall or call guest relations.

PhiSigDuchessCV
11-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Can't wait to see it this year. Mom and dad's APs expire on the 8th so this will probably be their last trip to DL to see it as they are not going to renew their passes this year. I really wish that DL would start to do this multiple weeks the way they do at WDW.

cstephens
11-16-2010, 08:26 AM

Also note that the choir has a processional from the Fantasyland Theatre through the main parade corridor to Main Street, so about half an hour or so before each show, that area will be blocked off. If you're going to move around the park, keep that in mind so you don't get stuck.

dac1997
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Has anybody in the mouseplanet world heard who the narrator is this year?

oregontraveler
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Tom Skerrit

FantasmicFan82
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM
I will be going Saturday, the 4th. I won't arrive until 6 or 6:30 but I will hopefully be able to see the second show. Is that right?

disneyfn
11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Word to the wise. If you want a seat,you need to be there at 8 am. Usually they let you sit in the last 3 benches nearest the Christmas tree or in front of the opera house. These are usually taken in the first 10 min of the day.Bad part is you have to sit there all day except for bathroom breaks until the show starts. So be ready with cards, food and blankets.:fez:

danyoung
12-03-2010, 10:02 AM
There isn't a show, band or event on the planet that would make me want to sit in one place for the entire day! For those that do, more power to ya!!!