PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Snowman Popcorn Buckets - Myth or Reality?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

shna
11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I know we heard rumors about there being Mickey Snowman popcorn buckets (like the Mickey Ghost ones but ... well ... snowmanny). Do they exist?

If so, what do they look like? Would someone please share a picture?

If they do have them -- did they order enough, or are they going to sell out over the first weekend?

Dizzy4DL
11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
This is the only picture I could find. Found it on another DL board. :cool:

ChurroGirl
11-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Oh my goodness! I hope that this rumor is true.

I was never able to obtain a Ghost Mickey but we will be in DL on the 27th and I would love to scoop up as many of these as possible!

dlfansx4
11-12-2010, 11:39 AM
DH and kids are there today and said the buckets aren't out yet (but they do expect them). The CM would only say "maybe next month." :(

We will be there next Saturday also so I have my fingers crossed that the CM was mistaken and they will show up by then....

shna
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I. Need. That. Bucket.

Need, I tell you. NEED!!!

AVP
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, Adrienne Krock and I checked a bunch of popcorn carts in Disneyland today, and nobody had them. The CM estimates ranged from "after Thanksgiving" to "mid-December." I have a call into someone as Disney asking for a slightly more specific date. :o)

shna
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, Adrienne Krock and I checked a bunch of popcorn carts in Disneyland today, and nobody had them. The CM estimates ranged from "after Thanksgiving" to "mid-December." I have a call into someone as Disney asking for a slightly more specific date. :o)

Thank you. If they definitely won't have them until Thanksgiving, that will keep me from feeling I have to go just for the bucket this coming Monday. Still trying to decide if I want to take Mom & DD on 11/29 or wait until 12/13. If we plan the earlier date, we can reschedule if the weather looks like it will be iffy. If we plan for 12/13 & then can't go, Mom will be out of luck 'cause her AP expires on 12/14 (and I really don't expect her to renew this year).

Disneylandfanguy
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Very cute looking popcorn bucket. :cool:

CindyR
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I was so disappointed when I asked the CM about the bucket and they said not until next month. Now that I know some CMs said Thanksgiving I'll still keep trying to check in once in a while since there are obviously conflicting stories. Hopefully AVP can get a date confirmed! I'll be so relieved.

AVP
11-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Another CM said "late December," and apparently the demitasse dessert cups aren't being sold until Thanksgiving. Grrr...

AVP

Malcon10t
11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Received a text letting me know CMs were saying the popcorn buckets wouldn't be out til Dec.

shna
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
If I'm ultimately thwarted in my bucket-acquisition plans, I will be forced to write a sternly-worded letter. :cool:

Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. :p

ChurroGirl
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
When we are there the first week if Dec. I will keep an eye out.

I hope it is not mid-Dec. that would just be a pain!

JunJunM3
11-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I wonder if they do have some in stock right now but are just holding them until after Thanksgiving/Early Dec, or maybe the shipment hasn't come in yet. I'm guessing they have some right now but the supply won't be enough to last this weekend alone, and they don't want to have nothing available on the big rush of guests starting Thanksgiving week onwards.

Hopefully they learned from the Ghost Buckets and increased the order for the Holidays.

olegc
11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I wonder if they do have some in stock right now but are just holding them until after Thanksgiving/Early Dec, or maybe the shipment hasn't come in yet. I'm guessing they have some right now but the supply won't be enough to last this weekend alone, and they don't want to have nothing available on the big rush of guests starting Thanksgiving week onwards.

Hopefully they learned from the Ghost Buckets and increased the order for the Holidays.

umm- why would you hold something that would sell all of its units and you'd make a bunch of money? for some guests' benefit somewhere? I doubt it.

if they sell them now, and sell out, they will get more by thanksgiving. if they sell a few thanksgiving day and are out the next three days - that actually looks worse.

bottom line - i doubt they hold them back.

Tinkermommy
11-12-2010, 04:21 PM
umm- why would you hold something that would sell all of its units and you'd make a bunch of money?

Ordinarily, I'd agree. However, I remember posts here reporting pallets of the ghost buckets being kept backstage when they weren't available for sale. I don't know why they would have held them at that time, but if what we read here is accurate, they did just that.

The ghost buckets came out in mid-Sept and were sold out the first weekend. They didn't offer them again until mid-October -- almost a month later.

If it was too late for them to up the Snowman order once they saw the situation with the ghosts, I could see where they might want to hold them a little longer to make sure there are at least some when the most visitors would show up for the season.

In fact, I wonder if maybe there wasn't an actual follow-up order for the ghosts and if instead, they said, "Whoa, these are flying off the shelves. We'd better hang on to the rest of them so we have some when October comes." I'm not claiming conspiracy theory; I'm just wondering if they realized they weren't going to have enough to last the season and decided it would be better to put them out later. Just a thought.

JunJunM3
11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
umm- why would you hold something that would sell all of its units and you'd make a bunch of money? for some guests' benefit somewhere? I doubt it.

if they sell them now, and sell out, they will get more by thanksgiving. if they sell a few thanksgiving day and are out the next three days - that actually looks worse.

bottom line - i doubt they hold them back.

Yeah, what you say makes a ton of sense. Maybe they don't have the shipment as of now. But as what Tinkermommy just posted, there were posts here wherein there was a stock of Mickey Ghost Buckets seen backstage that were not being rolled out to sell to visitors at certain times during the Halloweentime Event.

olegc
11-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Ordinarily, I'd agree. However, I remember posts here reporting pallets of the ghost buckets being kept backstage when they weren't available for sale. I don't know why they would have held them at that time, but if what we read here is accurate, they did just that.

The ghost buckets came out in mid-Sept and were sold out the first weekend. They didn't offer them again until mid-October -- almost a month later.

wasn't that because they were breaking?

Tinkermommy
11-12-2010, 05:40 PM
wasn't that because they were breaking?

That was one thing that was discussed, but I can say with certainty that the second batch (whether new or held) was just as fragile. Ours (purchased mid-October) started to split immediately (although I later figured out they wouldn't come completely apart), and we lost an ear on the way home. Those were the problems reported early on, and they continued with the ones sold later.

houseofmouse
11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Well just knowing the Halloween ones are crappy and fall apart, does not make me too eager to spend money to buy a Holiday one.

Tinkermommy
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
While they weren't very sturdy, I will say they were absolutely adorable as holiday decorations. We followed the example of other padders and put LED candles inside -- it was SO cute that I felt it was worth the $9.50 just for that!

If the snowmen have ears that come off, we'll just get a bag and keep it inside until we get it home. Assuming, of course, we're able to actually get one...:p

JunJunM3
11-12-2010, 06:07 PM
It's true that the Ghost Buckets weren't sturdy. My fiancee was very careful with it the entire time at the park to avoid having its ears come off. It's not really built strong enough to be an actual bucket of sorts. My fiancee bought it for the same purpose that I'm assuming most padders did. It now comfortably sits on her apartment display case along with other Disney merchandise.

SANDYMARIE
11-13-2010, 07:25 AM
I like, I want, I NEED!!! :D

stan4d_steph
11-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm confused. The buckets actually have a split all the way around and open up to store flat, with only a connection at the base. The ear lid is a separate piece that is not permanently attached. Were they breaking at other places?

Tinkermommy
11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
They do indeed have a split that runs from each side of the head, all the way down the sides of the body and across the bottom. (In other words, his body started out as two pieces.) When filled, even with something as light as popcorn, his body started to pull apart at the seam, to the point where popcorn would leak out. However, I noticed when washing ours that it's "locked" at the bottom and wouldn't actually break in half.

The ear lid consists of three pieces -- the top of his head is a separate piece, and his ears are two additional separate pieces that are snapped into holes in the "scalp." They fall out. The "scalp" lid locks on nicely, but some of the ear pieces are loose enough to pop out.

I'll say again, though, they're really cute as a decoration!