PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Pooh vs Tokyo Pooh!

Pages : [1] 2

Christiii
04-22-2003, 02:26 PM
New Pooh vs Tokyo Pooh
OK, now I have to start by saying that I am a true, loyal Disneyland fan...LOVE the place, and really dont find anything negative about it..since it is the Happiest place on earth..BUT...I rode the Pooh ride at Disneyland, and really didnt think it was bad, as bad as people were saying...I mean it was a cute little thing..not worth a walk across the park, or a wait in line..but cute. Now, after watching the Tokyo Pooh ride video, I am appalled!! That ride looks truly amazing, and really shows what our ride should have been. I think rides should get better as they redo them, not worse. Wow, that Tokyo ride looked really state of the art, something out lil park in California really needs!! If there was no money in the budget, then they should have held off until there was enough...Sheesh! I cant believe what we could have had!!

ok, just my two cents.....

80S ERA
04-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Different? You mean they didn't have castmembers pushing each ride vehicle? ;)

Seriously, get used to it. The only time we got a better attraction transplant was with Animation in DCA. At least we have that.

Christiii
04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
I dont know why I was so shocked! Ive never done the anamation thing in DCA..isnt it just a room with big screens that you walk around??

ESS Heckler
04-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Christii - You've been reading too many posts from Merlin and Tref and other DCA haters.
The animation building has several rooms, all of them alot of fun. My two favorites are the Beasts Library, where you 'become' a Disney Character, and the Sorcerer's Workshop, kinda like Disney karaoke. I also like the show about animation. (Chris Sanders is a high school buddy of mine - and it was fun to see him up on the screen)

Christiii
04-22-2003, 02:54 PM
no I havent really read any DCa hater posts, I really like DCA! I just always went in the Anamation main room thingy and didnt know there was anything else to it..duh

ESS Heckler
04-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey - look at this way - more to look forward to on your next trip :)

Rallymonkey23
04-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Is there anywhere online that I can see this video?

Yeah, In know. It's probably torture watching it knowing what we got, but I still want to see it. :D

merlinjones
04-22-2003, 03:26 PM
>>Christii - You've been reading too many posts from Merlin and Tref and other DCA haters. The animation building has several rooms, all of them alot of fun. My two favorites are the Beasts Library, where you 'become' a Disney Character, and the Sorcerer's Workshop, kinda like Disney karaoke. I also like the show about animation. (Chris Sanders is a high school buddy of mine - and it was fun to see him up on the screen)<<

Excuse me - - but do you ever read the content of my posts? I do hate DCA as a park, but I've only ever said nice things about the animation exhibit. It is one of only a few well designed things at that tacky park. Get the facts straight, maam before you quote people.

ESS Heckler
04-22-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry I generalized about your dislike for DCA and misquoted you. I haven't had the opportunity to read all of your posts to this board. Something else to look forward to.

merlinjones
04-22-2003, 03:51 PM
>>I'm sorry I generalized about your dislike for DCA and misquoted you.<<

Thanks for saying so. I do try to be specific about my likes and dislikes and reasoning behind them. No worries!

lazyboy97O
04-22-2003, 04:09 PM
I have only been on the one at the MK. But I have a question. Who pays for the rides at Tokyo Disneyland? Is it Disney or OLC. Cause if the owners do, then of course it would be different and possibly better. I saw a pivture on the Tokyo Disneyland webpage, and it looks better than the one at the MK. I think Disney just seems to be loosing its touch on soem things.

innerSpaceman
04-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Christiii
I think rides should get better as they redo them, not worse.
While that would make good common sense, it's never true of Disney. I learned that the shockingly hard way on my 2nd trip to DisneyWorld in the early 80's. Hadn't been there since I was a kid in '71 and did not remember how truly horrible what I have ever since called The Tragic Kingdom was in comparison to Disneyland.

How could they not use Disneyland and Disneyland attractions as a template to make it all improved and better, I wondered in astonishment. But everything was pathetic. The layout of the park, the fantasyland dark rides, every attraction copied from Anaheim. It's a Small World was a tiny pile of junk. Pirates of the Caribbean must have been sacked and looted, it was so devoid of anything. Common sense went out the window as I realized that everything copied had been copied badly and with no regard to improvement whatsoever.

Conversely, and very tellingly, the original parts of The Tragic Kingdom were quite nice. Liberty Square possessed a charm that no other area of the park could match. Space Mountain was a top-notch attraction.

The lesson: People working on copies are uninspired. Folks creating original works put their heart and soul into artistry. Lessons seen again and again in sequels and remakes of every stripe.

Pooh not up to its predecessors? No suprise from this corner.

Tigertail777
04-22-2003, 04:15 PM
for the TDL pooh, and more tokyo rides including Disneyseas, and also DLP vids go to: www.barrybedford.com I found it on mousepad once, a wonderful site chock fulla vids!!!

As for DCA: I don't so much hate DCA, as I am thouroughly dissappointed with it. The only thing I really liked a lot was the animation building. I never really thought about it before, but you know if I hadnt read/seen stuff about the other areas in animation building I too would have thought it was just the lobby... its not really "labeled" very well. The signs above each section were fairly dim when I went and there was nothing (except maybe the railings) to point out that it wasnt just decor. That said, I LOVED beasts library the fiberoptics in the walls, the fading rose effect, the fireplace...everything that was truly magical! I also really like the ursula voice acting kiosk room that was very well themed and it puzzled me for the longest time how they did the ursula effect where it looked so 3d (still am a little puzzled).
The only thing I would have really changed about the animation building is to have a much bigger "musuem" room of the animation art, which could still be easily accomplished by building forward into the lobby more, or just moving all the sculptures to the center of the lobby with low underlighting. The lobby is so huge with nothing in the middle: thats wasted space, and if you arrange them in a "path" they could lead to the main gallery enticing visitors inside.

lazyboy97O
04-22-2003, 04:20 PM
innerSpaceman, I fully agree with you. I went to the Magic Kingdom for the first time a couple years ago. I kepot thinging it would be this huge park (which it is) with all these elongated versions of my favorites from Disneyland. Instead I found cut down rides in this huge park. I have come the firm conclusion that Disneyland is better than Disney World. It has all the good stuff, but not as spread out.

Darkbeer
04-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Getting back to Pooh....

If you want to see where the Anaheim folks have their priorites, check out the new Pooh store decorations... Seems like they know how to make 3-D "fake" balloons...

It is a shame that the store looks better than the ride does:(

merlinjones
04-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Those who are speaking with Imagineers regularly - - isn't anyone embarrassed enough by Pooh to try to get the ride plussed at bit (I mean sooner than later)?

screamin4ever
04-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Since the Oriental Land Company has already paid for the development of their Pooh, why can't Disney simply copy that design, save the R&D costs, and build great clones? Disney wouldn't allow the OLC to own patents on their ride vehicles I hope!?

Disney could make Tokyo the flagship resort and stick the OLC for all R&D costs and improve on the designs for reliability in the states.

Of course how many people would want a 100 Million Dollar Pooh ride? I'm sure I would, but I also like to spend money I don't have.

screamin4ever
04-22-2003, 07:33 PM
AND just after I wrote the above response, look what I found in another section from Asahi.com

Tokyo Disney prospers in its own way
The Asahi Shimbun

"Some of the attractions are unique to the Japanese Disney parks and are being emulated by their counterparts abroad.

In the suburbs of the French capital, the Disneyland Resort Paris will start this summer operating Fantillusion, a parade with illuminations. Oriental Land introduced the attraction at its park in 1995.

U.S. Disney officials believe there are more made-in-Japan attractions that can be exported to other Disney parks around the world ."

Too bad Pooh wasn't one of them in Anaheim.

merlinjones
04-22-2003, 08:23 PM
So, minus the design costs and false starts and fine tuning, Pooh could have been had at DL as a clone for quite a bit less than TDL's 100 million.

What a wasted opportunity.

Nancy
04-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Thank you Tigertail for the tip! What a great video. I really thought our Pooh ride was cute until I saw theirs!! We were really short changed. What would Walt think:crying:

Tigertail777
04-23-2003, 12:46 AM
yer welcome Nancy, that sight is great I have saved every video LOL!

Yes we got the major short end of the stick, considering what they tore out for pooh, and how they could have made the empty basement area the whole hundred acre woods like you see in the beginning of that video. It would have been perfect: the hundred acre wood in the bottom level up till the "dream" then you ascend to the second level for the heffalump and woozle dream, the tilting upwards motion would add to the "dream" feel and they could put nifty FX of surreal dream images projected moving along the walls as you go up. This would leave more room for a proper birthday party scene at the end with closer to full moving AA's. In fact, had they planned it properly with special cars, they could have had a real "flooded" area in the hundred acre woods where you car partially floats through real water until it gets to the dream, then it goes on wheels to the second level. If they had done something like this, and also did some nice art direction (imagine going through pooh's tree with all the hunnypots floating around you and seeing pooh up high trying to escape the water, until he falls asleep) it could have been something really special. I mean they already spent a ridiculous amount to retrofit the bears playhouse with the ride, they might as well have went all the way with it.:rolleyes:

Christiii
04-23-2003, 07:27 AM
thats what Im talking about Nancy!! I thought our ride was not that baaad..till I saw that video!! That Tokyo r ide seriously looks like the best ride Ive ever seen!! I think it looks better than any ride at Disneyland...even Indy...and I LOVE Disneyland! The ride just seems to have so many layers to it, and state of the art effects....I wish our ride even had 1/10 of what is in Tokyo...Im really embarassed for our lil park! Weve been beat, big time!!!:rolleyes:

jrad32
04-23-2003, 07:36 AM
It is dissappointing. I'm going to take a long hiatus from Disneyland, until they turn things around. Maybe I'll return in two years when Space Mountain is back up.

A Tokyo DL Pooh ride would have got me there sooner.

Christiii
04-23-2003, 07:46 AM
it sounds dumb, but Im really hurt about this!! Ive always loved Disneyland because the quality is so wonderful...how could they have chumped us like this?? The pooh ride is ok, but not when you shee what it could have been..I just dont get it.....

jrad32
04-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Unfortunatley Christii, this wasn't the first time, and probably won't be the last.

Just look at the meager plans for the 50th Anniversary. Or compare the new park we got DCA (Dumb Crappy Attractions) to DisneySea in Tokyo.