PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Fastpass: Stupid, Pointless, and an Ugly Sign To Boot!

MonorailMan
04-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Am I the only only one that thinks this "Surprise Fastpass" idea for HISTA is stupid? Not only does HISTA almost never have a line, ST never has had over 20 min., even on a busy day!

ITTBAB never has a line either. I can see the idea, but for the attractions they picked, it seems like a waste of time!

From The Update:
“So why do we need this ticket?” asked one visitor. “You don't, really,” explained a cast member, “It's more of an invitation than a ticket — Just to let you know that there's something else to do while you're waiting.”

I know that guests can "check their brain at the gate", but can no one see a map with the attractions on it? Not only does this "Invitation" idea seem weird, it seems more, "Look, there is something to do in Tomorrowland!"

Plus, I think the HISTA "Surprise Fastpass" sign looks ugly, what's up with the sectioned arrow, and ALL CAPS letters (Disney's been good at using Small Caps letters in the past)?

Picture:
http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Tomorrowland/SurpriseFastpass-041703-AVP.jpg

(Kudos to the CM with the Mickey Gloves, I kept trying to tell you all us Science geeks like them) :D ;)

Thomas
04-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Do you think this is stupid only because you just read it on the update? Or, did you witness this first hand at the DLR and were able to form your own opinion?

The update said that lines at It's tough to be a bug are longer (busier) than when the park first opened. It is obviously having an effect there.

As for StarTours, you are correct. The lines are never that long anymore. Maybe they are preparing for the fact that is really the only ride left in Tomorrowland and they are trying to keep people in that area.

Techie7
04-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Star Tours had a long line on Sat. AND the surprise FASTPASS has been moved to another attraction (I wont say which).

innerSpaceman
04-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Hmmmmmm.

OK, even if I didn't know a bit of perhaps confidential information, the simple process of attraction elimination in Tomorrowland would leave only one attraction to choose from!

cemeinke
04-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Hmmmmmm.

OK, even if I didn't know a bit of perhaps confidential information, the simple process of attraction elimination in Tomorrowland would leave only one attraction to choose from!

Nonesense - why there's Innoventions, The American Space Experience, Cosmic Waves, Astro Orbiters, Monorail, Starcade, Disneyland Railroad, all before you get to Autopia;)

Andrew
04-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Nonesense - why there's Innoventions, The American Space Experience, Cosmic Waves, Astro Orbiters, Monorail, Starcade, Disneyland Railroad, all before you get to Autopia;)

Is "The Spirit of Refreshment" still listed as an attraction?

Bill Catherall
04-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Oh, I really hope the Surprise FastPass has been moved to Cosmic Waves. I hate waiting in that long standby line.

justagrrl
04-21-2003, 10:24 AM
FYI - the article won't come up in Netscape. It says:

Not Found

The requested URL /parkupdates/dlr/article.css was not found on this server.

Andrew
04-21-2003, 10:51 AM
justagrrl, what version of Netscape are you using and on what platform? This will help us track down and fix the problem. Thanks.

dsnylndmom
04-21-2003, 11:06 AM
When I was there the Star Tours like was well over 30 minutes and they were doing the surprise fast pass and at that time that had a little section up for HISTA that said "Surprise FastPass" and there was a CM there to take your "surprise" fastpasses and let you in to the show. Personally, I didn't understand it since there wasn't a line in the first place. BUT there were people coming up to the CM to ask her where the fast passes for HISTA were.......

Andrew
04-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
FYI - the article won't come up in Netscape. It says:

Not Found

The requested URL /parkupdates/dlr/article.css was not found on this server.

We think the problem is fixed. Would anyone affected (it seems to be older versions of Netscape on Windows) please reload the page? You might want to clear your cache first.

lisap
04-21-2003, 02:56 PM

I'm shocked Cemeinke. Shocked and saddened that you didn't list the Premiere Shop among the many facinating attractions in Tomorrowland. Why, that's the first place we think to look for you. That, or under the Pooh Sticks bridge. ;)

DisneyFan25863
04-21-2003, 04:54 PM
The CM on Sat. there was also *really* rude. I asked about the Surprise Fastpass and what it was, and in a really rude voice they responded "Oh, well, I can't tell you that, because, if you look at the sign, you will see that it is a surprise!"

:rolleyes:

tabacco
04-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Was he being rude or playful? There's often a fine line :)

DisneyFan25863
04-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Was he being rude or playful? There's often a fine line :)

No, I'm talking full out RUDE. Prob. the rudest CM I've ever encountered :eek:

HBTiggerFan
04-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Umm...isn't the Starcade closed now?

DisneyFan25863
04-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Umm...isn't the Starcade closed now?

Nope it's open;) :D

Darkbeer
04-21-2003, 07:24 PM
I finally got the whole story on the StarCade issue...

And it is partially due to bad timing!!!

The Starcade was scheduled to be switched over from Disney, to a Third Party (Namco). They happened to be switching out the games, and bringing in the new games the same morning that Space Mountain was closed down....:eek:

Since they had tarps up, and were removing the old games, it looked liked they were related issues... though all they did was clean the floor, and then brought in the new games... (Namco also runs all the arcades located in the DLR hotel arcades).

Now, there are rumors that StarCade might close in the future to allow either a needed area for the Space Mountain Rehab, or maybe as a location for a special 50th anniversary exhibit, looking back at the history of Disneyland.

Ace
04-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Nope it's open;) :D

Unfortunately. The only way Starcade would be awesome if it had Imagineer-built 'games' that used virtual reality or other 'futuristic' methods to entertain. I can play Dance Dance Revolution IN MY OWN LIVING ROOM! How 'tomorrow' is that?

dingdong2U
04-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Actually, to tell you the truth, there are NO NEW GAMES at the Starcade. All the games are still there but totally rearranged from where they were originally. Also, with Namco taking over the business, all the games were converted over to tokens and new token changers added to the mix.

Now, if they could only reopen the upper level and add some more games and air hockey games... ;-)

--- Mike